• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello, i'm currently playing as cherokee in the grand campaign, and i'm around year 1510, and attacking huron(?) the tribe in north, however they seem to absolutely destroy me in battle.

Me: 21000 troops (14k spearmen, 7k archers), land tech 0 (If it matters), general 1 fire, 1 shock, 0 siege, 0 manevour, about 2.6 morale.

Them: 12000 troops (12k archers), land tech 2, general fire 2 shock 3 siege 0 manevous 2, about 3.1 morale.

I realise the morale difference and leader difference can be pretty huge, but this is do an extent where if i roll 9 and they roll 1, we both kill 120 each "round", however if i roll 9 and they roll 9, i'll kill 120 while they'll take 960 off me every turn, even if i get terran bonus with -2 on their side, they absolutely destroy me, and kill my men 8:1

If there's anything i've forgotten to mention, or left out, please let me know, i think i've misunderstood the combat system somewhere.

Hello, i'm currently playing as cherokee in the grand campaign, and i'm around year 1510, and attacking huron(?) the tribe in north, however they seem to absolutely destroy me in battle.

Me: 21000 troops (14k spearmen, 7k archers), land tech 0 (If it matters), general 1 fire, 1 shock, 0 siege, 0 manevour, about 2.6 morale.

Them: 12000 troops (12k archers), land tech 2, general fire 2 shock 3 siege 0 manevous 2, about 3.1 morale.

I realise the morale difference and leader difference can be pretty huge, but this is do an extent where if i roll 9 and they roll 1, we both kill 120 each "round", however if i roll 9 and they roll 9, i'll kill 120 while they'll take 960 off me every turn, even if i get terran bonus with -2 on their side, they absolutely destroy me, and kill my men 8:1

If there's anything i've forgotten to mention, or left out, please let me know, i think i've misunderstood the combat system somewhere.

Ok. Landtech 2 kills you. Hard. I think either level 1 or 2 has a huge tactics bonus, which makes your units way better then before. Furthermore, your general is way worse then theirs. Basically, fire is worthless at this point in the game. Archers or spearman are basically identical in terms of mechanics, one has one blip somewhere else then the other, but they don do true "firing" as the mechanics are concerned. Thus you fight a general with a 2 shock bonus over you, which at this point in time is both the only interesting statistic and very important. This alone would completely remove that -2 terran bonus.

- They have tactics = 1, you have tactics = 0.5. Even if all other factors were equal, you'd still lose 33% more men than them.
- Their shock modifier is 0.35, yours is 0.25. Again, a very large difference. If I'm right, these two alone would make them deal ~90% more damage than you, on average.
- Their general has shock 3, yours has shock 1. With your infantry only having 1 base shock, a 2 shock difference is pretty big.

Their sliders might also be better.

Edit: A link

I bought EU3 Complete, Divine Wind, and Heir to the throne, but I can't seem to switch between them. How does one do this?

For the non steam version:

Normally you can't as they install on top of each other so you end up with just Divine Wind. You can do what you want by doing the following:

1) leave your current game install alone. You will use your current install to play Divine Wind.

2) Next reinstall EU3 Complete somewhere else like on another drive or in another location. You would then want to download from the tech forum the 3.2 final patch and install it over this second install at which point this second install will be used to play mods for the In Nomine expansion.

3) Next repeat step 2 in a third location except don't bother installing the 3.2 patch. Next install Heir to the Throne on top of this third install. Next download from the tech support forum the 4.1b beta patch from 4-29-2010 - NOT THE HTT FINAL PATCH - REPEAT NOT THE HTT FINAL PATCH FROM 11-25-2010 BECAUSE IT HAD SOME MAJOR PROBLEMS. This third install will then be used to play HTT.

How do you create a new nation? Is there a thread devoted to that? I want to create the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

You can get the Pentarchy, which eliminates the Papacy altogether (check the triggered modifiers), but I'm almost positive you can't force convert the Papal State.

Oh! I've had the Pentarchy since forever, so I suppose the Papacy has been out of the picture for a while (come to think of it, it would explain why I never saw anyone get excommunicated).

I bought EU3 Complete, Divine Wind, and Heir to the throne, but I can't seem to switch between them. How does one do this?

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but all the expansions are linear. By playing Divine Wind, you're also playing Heir To The Throne and anything before it. The only one I would switch to is HTTT, regarding 17blue17's comment. But maybe I just have an irrational fear of not having separate CBs.

Hi! Can someone explain me what determines the tech group, tech levels, religion, and primary culture?
At the start of the game they are all set by the history files except for tech level which is calculated by the game based on the tech group and year.

Thanks everybody for your replies. I unfortunately in this case did buy them through Steam, so I'll just live with it.

Second question though, on how to install mods. I wanted to download Magna Mundi, and I followed the instructions on the Magna Mundi page, but it doesn't show up in Steam to play, and when I launch the game it looks just the same as before. Perhaps I am installing it incorrectly?

If you (think you) like Magna Mundi that much you should await for the group to launch the Magna Mundi stand alone game :D
Until then I strongly recommend you play Divine Wind vanilla or try one of the other great mods ( like MEIOU or Death&Taxes )

So I have to what, uninstall EU3 completely, reinstall HTTT and then download it?
Since you have Steam that is not an option; Steam won't let you run older versions at all once you download a newer one. You'd have to buy EU3 Complete + HttT from another source or on a different Steam account (preferably installed in a separate folder so you can still run DW on your current account without re-downloading).