• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What determines whether or not a nation will get female rulers? Most games I never even see one, but sometimes I'll get a lot of them. Is it based on the tag?

Every nation has a list of posible monarch names and a modifier to their frequency of occurance; for example in France Louis will occur more than Francois. Female rulers are just another name on the nations list. You will find these in the EUIII/common/countries folder.

I always wondered one thing. What happends if you go further with domestic policies than your goverment system allows? I mean as a tribal goverment ( in any kind) if I switch centralitation or innovative near 0 or under 0 when, what are the consecuencies? I have done it sometimes but I never knew what it does exactly.

+1 revolt risk for every point over.

Hi, I have a couple of questions. My apologies if these have been asked but when I try to search it says that search has been disabled. I am playing DW as the Ottomans.

1) I am currently bordering and taking provinces from the HRE. After taking some provinces, I get the HRE asks for the province back since it is part of the HRE but as Ottomans, I am not Catholic/Protestant so why should I get the -1 stability for saying no. Is this a bug?

2) Same game but in 1660, I am in Italy and central Germany but I have only 1 holy wars CB available and that is with a OPM. I border 20+ Catholic/Protestant countries including France, England and Castile. I had quite a few until recently but had to take a few years of peace to git rid of a high WE. Do holy wars end at some date?

Thanks in advance to answers someone may have.

I just have to say thank you to everyone who helps out in this thread!
Im very new to this game (and the whole series actually) so I knew nothing when I started playing a few days ago.
But this thread has answered quite alot of questions that I had!

Hi, I have a couple of questions. My apologies if these have been asked but when I try to search it says that search has been disabled. I am playing DW as the Ottomans.

1) I am currently bordering and taking provinces from the HRE. After taking some provinces, I get the HRE asks for the province back since it is part of the HRE but as Ottomans, I am not Catholic/Protestant so why should I get the -1 stability for saying no. Is this a bug?

2) Same game but in 1660, I am in Italy and central Germany but I have only 1 holy wars CB available and that is with a OPM. I border 20+ Catholic/Protestant countries including France, England and Castile. I had quite a few until recently but had to take a few years of peace to git rid of a high WE. Do holy wars end at some date?

Thanks in advance to answers someone may have.

1. it is by design, but will be changed in some way for non christian countries after protests from community
2. holly war CB end in 1650 IIRC, will be replaced by imperialism...as per history

1) how come I can pass through AI land sometimes with no treaty ?

HRE members can pass through other HRE members when at war. Beware that this is not military access, so you don't get the increased support limit from MA.

2) how can you war HRE provnices without all the others including bohemia joining in ?

If you have a valid CB, the HRE will not protect its member states.

Assuming you're playing DW you can also pass though the land of anyone you have a truce with if you're heaidng back to your own provinces.

The HR Emp won't join inter-HRE wars if you have a valid CB, but they will still protect against non-HRE members. If you are not a HRE member and don't want to fight the Emperor do not attack HRE nations ;)

Assuming you're playing DW you can also pass though the land of anyone you have a truce with if you're heaidng back to your own provinces.

Neat, somehow I didn't know this! :)

The HR Emp won't join inter-HRE wars if you have a valid CB, but they will still protect against non-HRE members. If you are not a HRE member and don't want to fight the Emperor do not attack HRE nations ;)

na HTTT. lol thanks for that now i know not to mess with them for now. haha.

Wasn't this in HttT too? I certainly remember it prior to DW... or was it just in Magna Mundi?

Im denmark though...

Also where can you check your war exhaustion?

thanks.

If you are at war with the Emperor (perhaps even just a member state, I'm not sure) you can also pass through member states.

WE is displayed in the military window, just above your land and naval maintenance sliders.

Last edited:
Is it a feature that you have more support limit in provinces occupied by allies (x4) than in those occupied by yourself (x3)?

Sounds like a bug, you're probably getting the MA support limit even in allied occupied territory. Can you upload a savegame somewhere and post it in the bug report section?

Still trucking along in my second game (as austria), doing much better now.
I saw in my tech spending screen that I was about to unlock Noble Republic, however once i got the tech that government type didn't appear in my government list. Do governments not show in your list if there are other pre-reqs? If their are pre-reqs how am i supposed to know what I need to do if its not shown? Usually this game has tool-tips everywhere, but in this case there is nothing to mouse over!
Thanks!