• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've got a question about a succession war. Imagine that 2 countries have claimed the throne of a country with a weak heir and upon death of their monarch, there will be a succession war.
How will be decided which country, the country that has a weak heir will join. Is it based on relations or is it completely random?
And another question: Will I lose my claim to the throne when I form the Netherlands or not?

Background information (not important): I am Holland and want to get Austria instead of France. So If Austria joins France, I'll have to fight France and Austria at the same time (not really that hard).

Ok. Something weird just happened, and i hope someone can give me an explanation.

I fought a simple war against elsace and wanted to annex them. They had exactly one province, which i occupy. Thus i could click on the annex button, nothing weird so far. And then they rejected. I tried it again a month later, and again they rejected. This has never happened to me before. Does someone have an explanation?

Edit: Ok, apparently they felt like their 4000 man would totally beat my 60000 10 techlevels ahead of them. Once i killed that army, they accepted to be annexed. Still, i have not seen that before.

I've got a question about a succession war. Imagine that 2 countries have claimed the throne of a country with a weak heir and upon death of their monarch, there will be a succession war.
How will be decided which country, the country that has a weak heir will join. Is it based on relations or is it completely random?
And another question: Will I lose my claim to the throne when I form the Netherlands or not?

Background information (not important): I am Holland and want to get Austria instead of France. So If Austria joins France, I'll have to fight France and Austria at the same time (not really that hard).

I have seen this before recently. However what happened was the heir took the throne. (The tooltip said on monarch death there would be a succession war! It lied!) Also. the target country chooses who to join. The AI will tend to go with higher relations trust etc. Humans are wildcards obviously.

Ok. Something weird just happened, and i hope someone can give me an explanation.

I fought a simple war against elsace and wanted to annex them. They had exactly one province, which i occupy. Thus i could click on the annex button, nothing weird so far. And then they rejected. I tried it again a month later, and again they rejected. This has never happened to me before. Does someone have an explanation?

Edit: Ok, apparently they felt like their 4000 man would totally beat my 60000 10 techlevels ahead of them. Once i killed that army, they accepted to be annexed. Still, i have not seen that before.

the AI tends to have a habit not accepting your peace offers (regardless of the actual war score you have) unless you beat their army seriously.

my thought that is measures the percentage of its actual standing army to its force limit (and thus not necessarily - or not only - the provinces you occupied). for example I've never been able to demand anything from Spain as Holland, though I destroyed their navy, blockaded all of their provinces and had a WS above 50%, but I was unable to do anything with their standing army so it was still about 70 000 soldiers compared to my 30 000. had the same experience against Sweden. so again, I guess the AI will never accept peace unless you reduce its standing army below a specified limit.

How do I inheritate a throne(did I spell that right?)? Does it occur randomly when you have a royal marrige or is it a diplomatic act I can do?

the proper verb is 'inherit'

if you have a RM with a country without a heir, if their monarch dies, you have a chance to form a personal union with them (high prestige and good relations tend to affect it heavily)
alternatively if a country has no heir OR a heir with a weak claim, you can CLAIM their throne (diplomatic option) - then you get a "Claim on throne" CB against them and then if you beat them in war with that CB you can force personal union with them in the peace negotiations.

when you have a PU, when your monarch dies, there is a chance your new monarch will inherit that country (though nobody knows, what are the exact factors that affect the actual inhertance - one thing is sure: you cannot inherit, while in war. apart from that, high prestige, low infamy and good relations seem to have an effect on the process)

and an extremely rare case: you can actually inherit a nation WITHOUT personal union, simply by having a RM with them and their monarch dying without a heir. it is called "direct inherit". affected by the same factors mentioned above.

Christian nations can also use the Fabricate Claims spy mission on countries with legitimacy under 50 or a heir with very low legitimacy; it gives the Obscure Documents CB, which is similar to the Claim on Throne CB, and unlike throne-claiming, it doesn't cost you legitimacy or relations.

Christian nations can also use the Fabricate Claims spy mission on countries with legitimacy under 50 or a heir with very low legitimacy; it gives the Obscure Documents CB, which is similar to the Claim on Throne CB, and unlike throne-claiming, it doesn't cost you legitimacy or relations.
Doesn't require you to be christian, just be in the same religion group as the target.

And just to clarify, this gives you a PU; the inheritance is still random.

the AI tends to have a habit not accepting your peace offers (regardless of the actual war score you have) unless you beat their army seriously.

my thought that is measures the percentage of its actual standing army to its force limit (and thus not necessarily - or not only - the provinces you occupied). for example I've never been able to demand anything from Spain as Holland, though I destroyed their navy, blockaded all of their provinces and had a WS above 50%, but I was unable to do anything with their standing army so it was still about 70 000 soldiers compared to my 30 000. had the same experience against Sweden. so again, I guess the AI will never accept peace unless you reduce its standing army below a specified limit.
I guess you could give them a few stab hits with white peace offers and then they would accept your peace offer

I'm a one province country in Germany and pretty much unable to do anything conquest-wise so I'm going for trade. I still don't fully understand the trade system, but I at least thought merchants in COTs = money. I have 5 merchants in 3 different COTs. Whenever a merchant leaves or joins a COT, the trade income goes up and down as expected, but the monthly expenses investments also goes up and down along with it the same amount. So no matter how many merchants are active, I don't see any more money, monthly or yearly. I've had a few very successful campaigns, but clearly I still don't even know what I'm doing :(

At the moment, i have the possibility to make a national decision called "Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité" which, next to some other things, decreases tech cost by 20% for 20 years. Does anyone know if there is a time limit on when i can make this decision? Since i am going for Poland into space, it would probably be nice to have this active for the last 20 years, if possible.

Edit: Oh. It is a magistrate decisionthingy. Does that mean i can perform it multiple times? That would be pretty sweet.

Last edited:
I'm a one province country in Germany and pretty much unable to do anything conquest-wise so I'm going for trade. I still don't fully understand the trade system, but I at least thought merchants in COTs = money. I have 5 merchants in 3 different COTs. Whenever a merchant leaves or joins a COT, the trade income goes up and down as expected, but the monthly expenses investments also goes up and down along with it the same amount. So no matter how many merchants are active, I don't see any more money, monthly or yearly. I've had a few very successful campaigns, but clearly I still don't even know what I'm doing :(

That is correct. The economic system is based on two different income types, monthly and yearly. The monthly income is not actual income, but a measure of the economic strength of your nation. If you add all of the sliders up, they will always sum at 100% of your monthly income. The only way to gain real money into your pockets is to mint some of it. But you need to be careful with this, because inflation really sucks, and should be kept low. Usually, your monthly income is negative, because your troops and Advisors expect to be paid monthly. However, your yearly income should be more that you lose in all months combined, so you just have to ration your money over the year.

That is correct. The economic system is based on two different income types, monthly and yearly. The monthly income is not actual income, but a measure of the economic strength of your nation. If you add all of the sliders up, they will always sum at 100% of your monthly income. The only way to gain real money into your pockets is to mint some of it. But you need to be careful with this, because inflation really sucks, and should be kept low. Usually, your monthly income is negative, because your troops and Advisors expect to be paid monthly. However, your yearly income should be more that you lose in all months combined, so you just have to ration your money over the year.

So what do merchants do exactly? The way I thought it works was you take a certain amount of money from the center of trade with your merchants, multiply by trade efficiency, and that gets added to your yearly treasury (not sure if this is way off or not). My trade eff is around 30%, and I'm getting 30 ducats from two different COTs, and 20 from another. I have the same amount of yearly gain with or without merchants.

Your merchants take a certain amount of money, multiply by trade efficiency, divide by 12, and add that to your monthly income. This means you tech faster, and if you mint, you get more money per inflation from it. Usually, it is quite reasonable to get a Master of Mint advisor and mint as much as he allows you without inflation, but if you are very small you need to check if it is worth it. As far as i know, the yearly income is only taxes, so it does not scale with how much you trade. But that does not make trade bad, it just works differently. It is not exactly you as a country that is doing the trading, so you don't get the money directly. Instead, it is merchants from your country, so it increases your overall economy.

Ah HA! I get it now. So it can help increase income indirectly by strengthening your economy, so that you take less of an inflation penalty when the treasury slider is moved. I'll have to check if a master of mint is worth it now. Thanks.

So it can help increase income indirectly by strengthening your economy, so that you take less of an inflation penalty when the treasury slider is moved.
Sort of: it's the other way round. It means that for every click of the treasury slider, you get more money for the same amount of (potential) inflation.

So if your economy is 20 ducats per month, and you mint 10% of that (equal to 0.1 inflation without any adjustment) you get 2 ducats per month. Double your income to 40 by trade, and you get 4 ducats for that same 0.1 inflation.

I never play a game without a lvl 6 Master of Mint and the national idea : National Bank
You make a LOT of money :) with 0 inflation , meaning more army, more navy, more colonys, more spy missions, more merchants, more active missionaries converting etc ..