• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How exactly does colonial range work over land? I'm noticing that colonial range is counted from the nearest port, even though I have cored land provinces closer than that; would connecting those land provinces to my capital extend my colonial range?

I want to play a trade/colonizing game, not expanding to much in Europe, only grabing cores when I can and vassaling all others.
Which would be my best choice if I want:
- a small starting country
- a country not i the HRE
- not a merchant republic
- a chance to start colonizing not too late.

I want to play a trade/colonizing game, not expanding to much in Europe, only grabing cores when I can and vassaling all others.
Which would be my best choice if I want:
- a small starting country
- a country not i the HRE
- not a merchant republic
- a chance to start colonizing not too late.

Navarra if you want non-HRE. Very close to the Americas, probably the best sliders of any 1399 start country. Aragon will not annex you, only vassalize, and by the time Aragon gets torn apart you should have a strong enough colonial/trade empire to be able to take Castille in a war on your own. You can also just move your capital to the Americas and let the Europeans have Navarra.

well , they 'll only wait for you to have 18 WE before vassalizing you ... then Castille will just declare on you a few years later

well , they 'll only wait for you to have 18 WE before vassalizing you ... then Castille will just declare on you a few years later

?
I've never seen an AI not demand a peace deal as soon as they have 100% War Score. And if Castille declares war on you, they won't be able to demand anything from you, and the AI is usually not smart enough to demand revocation of vassals.

If you're really opposed to turning maintenance to 0 and letting Aragon vassalize you though, your sliders are decent enough that you can hire a defensiveness advisor and out-siege Aragon.

However, marketplaces themselves are not really that good, especially in the beginning. Basically, that "Trade increase" they do means that your production is increased by 10%, and the value that province provices to the CoT is also increased by 10%. In the beginning of the game, both of these are not really worthwhile effects. Trade buildings start to shine with 5+6 if you are a large empire. In the earlier game, in my opinion production buildings are much better.

Building many marketplaces increases the price for nearly all trade goods. I think they are highly worth it. Plus, with the added trade value, your CoTs will funnel that much more money through it.

I'm playing as Minamoto, and am about to unify japan.

Now i have a problem, i can't improve my relations with anyone. I had assumed that this was because foreigners saw only japan and not the daiymos. But after unification, i send a gift, the box pops up say 30 improved relations, but my actual relations haven't changed! :s anyideas or doi have a corrupt save or some such?

Building many marketplaces increases the price for nearly all trade goods. I think they are highly worth it. Plus, with the added trade value, your CoTs will funnel that much more money through it.

the production buildings give more immediate results, so should come first right? forts/prod/trade unless one desperately needs more manpower or naval limits?

Last edited:
the production buildings give more immediate results, so should come first right? forts/prod/trade unless one desperately needs more manpower or naval limits?

Yep, I usually go: fort1 -> constable -> workshop -> marketplace.

Add a naval1 (the drydock I think it is) if a coastal province. Add more naval/army buildings if you desperately need the MP/naval limits.

I'm playing as Minamoto, and am about to unify japan.

Now i have a problem, i can't improve my relations with anyone. I had assumed that this was because foreigners saw only japan and not the daiymos. But after unification, i send a gift, the box pops up say 30 improved relations, but my actual relations haven't changed! :s anyideas or doi have a corrupt save or some such?

I usually start by doing the production ones too , well , after the forts as rebels are much more annoying if they can seize what they want just walking by ...

and , i believe this had been reported a lot of times , if you send a gift/insult as the shogun , the relations affected are those with the emperor ...

I usually start by doing the production ones too , well , after the forts as rebels are much more annoying if they can seize what they want just walking by ...

and , i believe this had been reported a lot of times , if you send a gift/insult as the shogun , the relations affected are those with the emperor ...

but this continues after unification! Hard to keep Europe from stomping me while i westernise as i can't improve relations...

I noticed that a war against a horde does not count against the reduction of war exhaustion, i.e. despite being at war with the GH the WE tooltip says "reduction of 0.08, being at peace".

Are there other situations were horde wars are treated differently (e.g. for inheritance in a PU)?

I noticed that a war against a horde does not count against the reduction of war exhaustion, i.e. despite being at war with the GH the WE tooltip says "reduction of 0.08, being at peace".

Are there other situations were horde wars are treated differently (e.g. for inheritance in a PU)?

Pretty much everything except for inheritance in a PU, and afaik that's a bug. I think there's a couple of other exceptions, but they're rare events/modifiers that I can't remember.

This probably sounds like a stupid question but did you save -> reload after unifying Japan?
Given how long he's been on the forum I would hope so but otherwise that could be his problem.