• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Exactly. You have to take one province from them, and then vassalize them in the next war. Or make them release some minor. You can switch culture in enemy colonies as long as they are colonies by sending another colonist there, and afterwards via decision up till a certain size, which you are asking for but i sadly don't know. But from your description i assume it is still a colony?

As I thought.

And again, I'm double-checking here - you can annex a capital if you take every province around it, correct? So if I eat the huge infamy spike for gobbling the provinces around Novgorod, I can annex Novgorod the province next war and vassalize the remaining country so I can score the core (from mission) and the province and thus proclaim myself Russia (I already have everything else)?

As for Kola, yeah, it's still a colony right now, they only dropped in a few months ago.

As I thought.

And again, I'm double-checking here - you can annex a capital if you take every province around it, correct? So if I eat the huge infamy spike for gobbling the provinces around Novgorod, I can annex Novgorod the province next war and vassalize the remaining country so I can score the core (from mission) and the province and thus proclaim myself Russia (I already have everything else)?

As for Kola, yeah, it's still a colony right now, they only dropped in a few months ago.

It's been a while but as I recall, it takes 100% war score to take an isolated capital province so that would be 2 more wars, better to just force vassalize then in 10 years diploannex IMO...

It's been a while but as I recall, it takes 100% war score to take an isolated capital province so that would be 2 more wars, better to just force vassalize then in 10 years diploannex IMO...

Ah, curses.

On a related note, since I just finished up with Novgorod and got a bit further in the game, is there any way to extend a subjugation CB? It expires before the truce does, apparently. I'd rather take the -2 hit for no CB than a -5 for a truce break, but still.

If there's no Papal State I'd think you can't be excommunicated. I could be wrong, I guess.

I am not 100% sure, but i believe that if the papal state disappears, an other european catholic theocracy takes it place in holding the place. If there is no such country anymore, europe is probably in a pretty strage state anyways. But i think that in that case, the catholic thingy continues working, which would mean that excommunications are probably still possible. This is, however, not based on experience since i usually let the papal state live.

The easiest way to no longer get excommunicated is always to just become protestant. If the pope does not like you, there is not much point in being catholic.

When the Papal State disappears, a random catholic theocracy becomes it unless there are no more catholic theocracies. But even at that point the curia continues to function. MiscMods' Dark Continent scenario has no Papal State but the catholic nations can still call crusades and excommunicate eachother.

By 'not around' he may mean that Byzantium has deactivated the Papacy in which case it would be a bug if excomm can still happen.
If Papal States was annexed and there were no more theocracies for it to transfer to I'd expect the Curia to continue to function as usual and you are basically stuck with being unable to improve relations directly (although there may be events/decisions that can still affect relations).

no it does not. I've been in the same situation recently (conquering Novgorod as TO) and I could take their isolated capital for some 56% warscore in the next war.

If Papal States was annexed and there were no more theocracies for it to transfer to, any Catholic can be excommunicated.

The best way to prevent being excommed is then to eradicate all other Catholic, or at least to be the biggest Catholic, so that you will control the Curia.

Or convert to Protestant ;)

By 'not around' he may mean that Byzantium has deactivated the Papacy in which case it would be a bug if excomm can still happen.
If Papal States was annexed and there were no more theocracies for it to transfer to I'd expect the Curia to continue to function as usual and you are basically stuck with being unable to improve relations directly (although there may be events/decisions that can still affect relations).
Not really about Byzantium. I kicked Papal state out of Italy somewhere to HRE. After a few decades some other country annexed them and that's it.

There are some theocracies left in HRE.

Not really about Byzantium. I kicked Papal state out of Italy somewhere to HRE. After a few decades some other country annexed them and that's it.

There are some theocracies left in HRE.
Has Italy formed? That's the only thing that would keep them from returning if there are still Catholic theocracies other than Teutonic Order (T.O. is exempt from the event).

How can I join the HRE as Spain? I had even conquered a country (Aquileia) that belonged to the HRE, but I don't see the option anywhere...

How can I join the HRE as Spain? I had even conquered a country (Aquileia) that belonged to the HRE, but I don't see the option anywhere...

You need to trace a line of HRE provinces to your capital -- ie, your capital needs to be in the HRE. But you can only get bordering provinces to join the HRE.

I hate that you are allied to every nation you release in peace deals and consequently loose prestige when they start their stupid wars. Is there a way to mod this? It should be my decision, if they are allied to me or not.