• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
National focus help with changing culture in my country? Nothing on eu3wiki about that.

If you place your National Focus in a province/adjacent to a province, that ain't your culture, you can take the province-decision of "Enact Settlement Policy" - it will usually swap the culture in the province (from foreign) to your primary culture, in ~50 years.

I think they've made so the money you earn must go somewhere. And if you don't use it up - it will end up in your treasury. Which could cause inflation.
You can lower your military maintenance if you want to (in the military tab).

That's one thing then that makes absolutely no sense. Why not give control over investment spending? The trade-off is slower technical advances.

National focus help with changing culture in my country? Nothing on eu3wiki about that.

If you place your National Focus in a province/adjacent to a province, that ain't your culture, you can take the province-decision of "Enact Settlement Policy" - it will usually swap the culture in the province (from foreign) to your primary culture, in ~50 years.

also: your wrong-culture provinces which border your provinces with primary culture have a potential random event called "Cultural assimilation" - although it has a MTTH of some 300 years.
there are some factors though which reduce the MTTH slightly: having sliders towards serfdom and narrowminded, having church attendance duty and/or divine supremacy as NI-s AND placing your national focus there.

also the event will fire only on provinces with your state religion.

That's one thing then that makes absolutely no sense. Why not give control over investment spending? The trade-off is slower technical advances.

I think the idea is that it is not actually you doing the monthly investing. You are not a one-man state where everything that happens comes from the king, you have a lot of subjects. The monthly income is not actually income that goes to your pocket, but some sort of measure of the economic strength of the country, where money circulates around and gets invested in one thing or another. You as a king can maybe encourage where people are more likely to invest their money through laws and so on.

It is kind of weird, but the monthly income is not money you get, and then spend on research afterwards.

Okay this may be a dumb question to some, but I've only been playing a week or so and I have one very basic economic question. Why am I only allowed to balance my monthly budget by minting more money? I have found no way to cut my spending level on research costs. I'm only to re-allocate it between the different techs. It seems I am forced to choose between deficit spending or increasing inflation. Spending cuts do not seem to be an option at all. I know that would slow research a bit, but shouldn't that be a decision I can make as a head of state?

The yearly income is closer to actual income while the monthly income is more like a representation of the total productivity of your holdings. Otherwise it would make little sense for trade, as the most non-debatable example, to be included in the budget at all.

So you're not allowed to balance your monthly budget because there is no monthly budget: you operate on a yearly budget.

You can adjust how much of your income that goes into tech investments. It's in the economy tab.

Where? I see where you can allocate how much money goes into each individual investment, but if you lower the total amount that goes into investments, then the minting slider automatically goes up, and if you lock the minting slider, then the total amount spent on investments never goes down. So you're forced to either deficit spend, or mint for no good reason. I mean, my inflation is at 1.7%, which is acceptable to me, but even with National Bank and a couple decent economic advisers, I'm still accumulating inflation at +0.09 and my monthly budget is -9.x The fiscal conservative in me is screaming to cut the spending, but the game doesn't allow it except for abandoning your military (which I've done some of). To not allow cuts in investments WITHOUT minting, is a major flaw. Has anyone done a mod to address this? Or have I simply not been able to find where to do this?

Where? I see where you can allocate how much money goes into each individual investment, but if you lower the total amount that goes into investments, then the minting slider automatically goes up, and if you lock the minting slider, then the total amount spent on investments never goes down. So you're forced to either deficit spend, or mint for no good reason. I mean, my inflation is at 1.7%, which is acceptable to me, but even with National Bank and a couple decent economic advisers, I'm still accumulating inflation at +0.09 and my monthly budget is -9.x The fiscal conservative in me is screaming to cut the spending, but the game doesn't allow it except for abandoning your military (which I've done some of). To not allow cuts in investments WITHOUT minting, is a major flaw. Has anyone done a mod to address this? Or have I simply not been able to find where to do this?
Question is, you're not the one making the investment, and thus you can't cut it.
Also, don't worry that much with your monthly income: it's -50 for me and everything is going well. Just make sure the yearly tax is enough to cover the hole.

can anyone tell me how to install death & taxes mod, i have dw 5.1, i extracted the files to the eu3 folder and replaced everything but when i click on the drop down i still only see default
That should really be asked in the Death and Taxes thread. Is it in the mod folder? Once its extracted, there should be a .mov file along with the Death and Taxes folder itself.

@bossfrog - The system is monthly investments under annual income. Minting is fine for short term cash needs, but in the long run it negatively affects your research and raises the cost of units/buildings.

Last edited:
I think the idea is that it is not actually you doing the monthly investing. You are not a one-man state where everything that happens comes from the king, you have a lot of subjects. The monthly income is not actually income that goes to your pocket, but some sort of measure of the economic strength of the country, where money circulates around and gets invested in one thing or another. You as a king can maybe encourage where people are more likely to invest their money through laws and so on.

It is kind of weird, but the monthly income is not money you get, and then spend on research afterwards.

Okay, that's kind of abstract, but okay, I can buy into that, sort of. But if I can control how the money is allocated to investments, why can't I control how much is invested in total?

Last edited:
Question is, you're not the one making the investment, and thus you can't cut it.
Also, don't worry that much with your monthly income: it's -50 for me and everything is going well. Just make sure the yearly tax is enough to cover the hole.

Yeah, I get that, but I still end up being forced to mint more than I want to break even. I just don't get why the game is designed to allow you to control HOW the money is invest, but not how MUCH. Oh well. Hopefully the situation improves with time. It's currently 1477 in my game.

I meant that you should ask this question in the mod thread in order to get the most qualified help.

But, I did ask a question and told you what it should look like if it is properly extracted into the mod folder. If you provide more details someone can help you more easily.

@bossfrog - not sure if you missed my edit, but you will never have a positive monthly income, without minting and hurting your long-term economy.

Okay, that's kind of abstract, but okay, I can buy into that, sort of. But if I can control how the money is allocated to investments, why can't I control how much is invested in total?
Because the idea is that that money doesn't actually "exist" so much as it is a measure of the economic strength of your nation. The idea is that you, as the invisible guiding hand in the sky, can push the development of your nation in certain directions, but you can't do whatever you want.

For example, consider that tech isn't 100% scientists hard at work; it might be fisherman who accidentally discover something about seamanship which contributes to your naval tech. Maybe encouraging naval tech involves reducing taxes on fishing more so than it involves throwing money at scientists. Hell, you could see research grants as the "Pay 200 to get 100 invested immediately" button.

I placed national focus and converted all bordering provinces into my primary culture in some 15 years, so I think that MTTH is shorter than 300 years?
I did it like 2 times, placed national focus, converted region to primary culture and then I did it again, without any decision, just assimilation event.

edit:

So, I just made HRE from Poland and I got like few cots so I have 1% compete chance everywhere (from 80/90%). What I should do with those cots? I want leave only 1 cot but with so huge territory those cots are too rich.