• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there any tricky way to deal with it if japan bugs when you are going for a world conquest? I am not able to annex japan, not able to deman further provinces since they are all the last province of each shogun, and i get spammed with a message that i apparently "disbaned" the shogunat each day gametime (to which i can only respond with calling myself bastards)

I have seen talk about this in some threads here, can you do something tricky with spys or anything else? I am playing a catholic france, and have not done any culture changes or stuff like that.

Is there any tricky way to deal with it if japan bugs when you are going for a world conquest? I am not able to annex japan, not able to deman further provinces since they are all the last province of each shogun, and i get spammed with a message that i apparently "disbaned" the shogunat each day gametime (to which i can only respond with calling myself bastards)

I have seen talk about this in some threads here, can you do something tricky with spys or anything else? I am playing a catholic france, and have not done any culture changes or stuff like that.
It's possible for Kyoto to defect to a daimyo due to rebels, which will disband the shogunate. Some people have also reported that sometimes occupying everything long enough will actually succeed in disbanding the hsogunate.

It's possible for Kyoto to defect to a daimyo due to rebels, which will disband the shogunate. Some people have also reported that sometimes occupying everything long enough will actually succeed in disbanding the hsogunate.

Can i enhance the chances of that happening? The only way i fund to spawn rebels is either via the usual "support rebels", or via spawning patriots in an occupied province. Those seem to be loyal to me, and tend to run of to kyoto no matter on which of the daimyos lands i spawn them. But alas, sadly my last batch of those got killed by other rebels. Would those guys help?

Can i enhance the chances of that happening? The only way i fund to spawn rebels is either via the usual "support rebels", or via spawning patriots in an occupied province. Those seem to be loyal to me, and tend to run of to kyoto no matter on which of the daimyos lands i spawn them. But alas, sadly my last batch of those got killed by other rebels. Would those guys help?
If a province is occupied by rebels, patriots are always a valid rebel type. In addition, if at any point the month ends with more than 50% of a country (who is at peace)'s provinces occupied by rebels, all rebels will immediately get their demands. As a result, you can support revolt (which will probably spawn heretics or peasants), wait for them to occupy the province, then fund patriots on the last day of the month. I'm not sure if they'll always defect back to the original owner or whether they will sometimes defect to someone else; I mostly use this trick to quickly annex same culture provinces, in which case the rebels are loyal to me since I funded them.

Well, spawning them is easy, i can just spawn them when I control the province, and then offer peace so that the rebels loyal to me start sieging the province which is now back to its owner. I think i will try and take a look if they do something useful.

Edit: Ok. Apparently, they just turn into his soldiers once they break him. So they don't help at all. Other ideas would be appreciated. I really wonder what that looks like. Do they come to the shogun "WE WANT TO FIGHT FOR YOU!!!" "No, you guys smell really bad!" "Well, then we will fight you until you let us fight for you!"

Ok. Now it gets really strange. They appear to still be loyal to me, too. So i can come in there, besiege the castle, and they just run around aimlessly because they are best friend with my army. But they are also the shoguns army. To whom i just declared war.

Last edited:
Best done early in your invasion of Japan, when Kyoto isn't isolated:

- Occupy Kyoto
- Wait for Japan/Shoguns to start sieging Kyoto back from you.
- Spawn lots of Patriots.
- They kill the Japanese.
- They get confused and start sieging your Kyoto even though they're on your side.

At this point you can just sign a peace (one that cuts off Kyoto would be best, unless the rest of Japan is also overrun by various rebels and you're not afraid of anyone resieging Kyoto, as was the case for me) and wait for 3 years. IIRC, you can also fund more patriots while Kyoto is being sieged from you by rebels, and the new ones won't run off either.

Last edited:
Best done early in your invasion of Japan, when Tokyo isn't isolated:

- Occupy Tokyo
- Wait for Japan/Shoguns to start sieging Tokyo back from you.
- Spawn lots of Patriots.
- They kill the Japanese.
- They get confused and start sieging your Tokyo even though they're on your side.

At this point you can just sign a peace (one that cuts off Tokyo would be best, unless the rest of Japan is also overrun by various rebels and you're not afraid of anyone resieging Tokyo, as was the case for me) and wait for 3 years. IIRC, you can also fund more patriots while Tokyo is being sieged from you by rebels, and the new ones won't run off either.

I have absolutely no problem spawning patriot rebels. I have had tokyo broken by japanese patriot rebels two times already. Both times, they turned into the shoguns new army afterwards, while still being loyal to me (which makes it impossible to kill them, since i can not shoot them anymore)

You guys keep telling me how to spawn them, but what you do not tell me is how they will help me achieve my goal of actually getting control of japan, which is the point i am failing at at the moment. The spawning of patriot rebels works just fine. Normal spawn rebels will spawn japanese peasents which also do not do anything useful. So my question is now for the connection between spawning patriot rebels and getting control of japan, and NOT on how to spawn them. I manage that just fine.

I have absolutely no problem spawning patriot rebels. I have had tokyo broken by japanese patriot rebels two times already. Both times, they turned into the shoguns new army afterwards, while still being loyal to me (which makes it impossible to kill them, since i can not shoot them anymore)

You guys keep telling me how to spawn them, but what you do not tell me is how they will help me achieve my goal of actually getting control of japan, which is the point i am failing at at the moment. The spawning of patriot rebels works just fine. Normal spawn rebels will spawn japanese peasents which also do not do anything useful. So my question is now for the connection between spawning patriot rebels and getting control of japan, and NOT on how to spawn them. I manage that just fine.

Ehm. For me they just defected to a Shogun along with Kyoto?

Perhaps that only happens if a Shogun has a core on the province. Though I swear I've seen HRE OPMs defect to some other HRE country due to Patriots, with no cores involved.

Ah, and I started posting that before you edited your post; I was giving advice on how to get the Patriots to sit still in Kyoto and siege. Sorry :/.

So i just have to try it again until it works?

Edit: Also, sorry for being so flippant before. I am just kind of annoyed by it at the moment, but no reason to take it out on you.

Last edited:
playing DW steam addition with no mods

I have the always update checkbox on but I still cant access the paradox network (i.e. look at achievments ect)

Y is this?

playing DW steam addition with no mods

I have the always update checkbox on but I still cant access the paradox network (i.e. look at achievments ect)

Y is this?

What version are you running, and what's your checksum?

Are you logged in?

Edit: On my screen it's showing that your DW copy isn't registered to your paradox connect account. Weird, that's probably the problem.

Ehm. For me they just defected to a Shogun along with Kyoto?

Perhaps that only happens if a Shogun has a core on the province. Though I swear I've seen HRE OPMs defect to some other HRE country due to Patriots, with no cores involved.

Ah, and I started posting that before you edited your post; I was giving advice on how to get the Patriots to sit still in Kyoto and siege. Sorry :/.

It seems to have worked out now, but i have no idea why. The rebels never made kyoto defect to one of the shoguns and i tried it about 5-10 times, however, they made one of the shoguns defect to kyoto the one time they sieged the wrong province. This made me able to annex him in a peace deal with the daimyo. So now there were only two shoguns left after this (as i could annex one completely in the first usual peacedeal for no apparent reason), and the next time i occupied them the shogunate was really broken up. No idea if that was the trigger for making it work, though.

Last edited:
What version are you running, and what's your checksum?

Are you logged in?

Edit: On my screen it's showing that your DW copy isn't registered to your paradox connect account. Weird, that's probably the problem.

It is registered on the forum if thats what you mean.

cant get on paradox connect because it sais I have another verison running which as long as I have always update on shouldn't that be working?

cant get on paradox connect because it sais I have another verison running which as long as I have always update on shouldn't that be working?

For me it does, and i did not do anything special. Also only registered DW since i got one of those complete keys you can't register directly and am way to lazy to get all the stuff they want and send it to paradox as an email. But as was said before, here in the forum you only show the icon for HttT, and not the one for DW, so are you completely sure you registered Divine Wind and not only Heir to the Throne? You get three keys from steam.

Edit: My bad, it shows the icon for DW too. I am blind.

I assume you have the Steam version? What checksum do you have on the main menu? If you can't get the correct checksum you may need to uninstall and reinstall the game.