• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What affects ship capturing?

I belive the main thing is the Admiral's maneuver skill (there's a national idea which increases it by 2) - also naval powers' smaller navies that have higher moral tend to "out-morale" bigger navies and instead of destroying their ships, it seems to me that they have a higher chance of capturing them than those navies with lower base morale. but it is only my idea.

I just annexed OPM Byzantium for 0 infamy and I wonder how that happened.

I joined alliance call into that war and became alliance ledaer. The alliance casus belli has expired and I don't know what the war was about. Once I conquered Thrace I had annex option for 0 infamy. I had no core on Thrace, not bordering them...

How's that possible?

I belive the main thing is the Admiral's maneuver skill (there's a national idea which increases it by 2) - also naval powers' smaller navies that have higher moral tend to "out-morale" bigger navies and instead of destroying their ships, it seems to me that they have a higher chance of capturing them than those navies with lower base morale. but it is only my idea.

I agree with the above. In addition, I have the impression that having some Light Ships helps.

I just annexed OPM Byzantium for 0 infamy and I wonder how that happened.

I joined alliance call into that war and became alliance ledaer. The alliance casus belli has expired and I don't know what the war was about. Once I conquered Thrace I had annex option for 0 infamy. I had no core on Thrace, not bordering them...

How's that possible?

It was probably a war of revolution, i.e., Byzantium succesfully revolted away from whoever called you in. In such wars, both parties can annex each other for no BB, and this privilege passes to the alliance leader, which is a bit shady.

Seeking some information about the economy on this game.

When I load a saved game as Milan with most of Italy conquered I only have 1 star in economy yet I thought northern Italian provinces were rich. Why is my economy so bad and how would I improve it? What buildings should I be building? Is there any value in building trade buildings if I don't trade (sliders are too bad, lots of infamy in annexing Napoli and a few others so I am just waiting till I conquer Venezia and Genoa).

As aforementioned, you can ignore the load screen - In my current Holland -> Netherlands game, I have the 4th largest army, the 3rd largest navy and the world's highest income - and my ratings are 3-star in military and no-star in economy. France, my inferior in all 3 categories, has 5-star ratings in both. So yeah, I'd say the ratings are pretty arbitrary.

Speaking of the aforementioned game, despite doing well on the military and economic fronts, I'm still in a bit of a pickle - the only reason I can maintain such a large military is because I'm Holy Roman Emperor, thanks to maintaining 200 relations with every elector when Austria decided to take a huge infamy hit. But I'm still only six provinces (Holland, Zeeland, Utrecht, Friesland, Gelre + obscure-documents PU/inheritance on Oldenburg) - Brandenburg, which got lucky with a claims on rivals event has taken over most of the OPMs around it w/o an infamy spike like Austria and Burgundy, and is now in position to take the Empire away from me since it gets the 'Large nation in the HRE' modifier, and I don't. If I stop being emperor, I'm at like... quadruple my normal force limits, and would have to give up most of the army I built up.

The only way I can reasonably expand (w/o eating huge piles of infamy, negating the point), is into Burgundy, which is well, the crux of my problem. Despite the Holy Roman Emperor bonus and the fact my super-trading economy allows me to punch far above my weight class, Burgundy has a bigger army straight-up (75k to 60k), and has a bunch of vassals from its expansion wars AND a personal union with Bavaria that pushes its total force to around ~105k. They also have an alliance with the Teutonic Order, but I've got a superior navy, and the Baltic is easy to bottle up. On the other hand, since I'm HRE, he might get free access through the Empire when we're at war, which just makes things more difficult. I'm not sure on that matter.

Not all hope is lost, though - I have an alliance with England that would certainly help make the numbers even, but... that's trusting the AI to actually land its troops in an intelligent fashion. The only other way I see to preserve the imperial throne is to use the Imperial Liberation CB I have on Brandenburg - but it has an alliance with Austria. Which also has like 75k troops, making things even more of a wash. I mean, I suppose I can take the jump and hope France dogpiles onto Burgundy, making the situation a hell of a lot more manageable, but they're currently crusading against the Ottomans, as far as I can tell. Any thoughts?

sadino -> in that situation; given hollands high teching power due to trading and small size; one common strat would be to put all research into land tech, and wait until you're ahead of the threats, and at one of the tech levels that grants a really big bonus over earlier levels (like 13 w new inf type, 18 for mil tactics, 23 for improved inf + full fire modifier, i dunno when the next major breakpoint is). fighting a war is way easier if you're at one of those tech breakpoints well ahead of yoru enemies.
Also, given your small size, your stab cost should be quite low, so you could swap out all yoru NIs for combat ones in only 1-2 years for an extra edge (as long as you aren't capturing too many provinces frmo enemies it won't be mcuh longer to revert NIs afterwards)

Is it possible to play as a nation near a horde nation? Just tried to play as Wallachia but I couldn't fight them, couldn't do scorch earth tactics, couldn't hide out in other forces and take the land back when their backs were turned and I couldn't get any peace agreement.

Is it possible to play as a nation near a horde nation? Just tried to play as Wallachia but I couldn't fight them, couldn't do scorch earth tactics, couldn't hide out in other forces and take the land back when their backs were turned and I couldn't get any peace agreement.

To take land, you need to seed enemy territory with colonists. The only peace options are concede defeat or tribute; they should always accept tribute, so if you're feeling overwhelmed, just sign that with them and pay them off in the short term.

As a tiny country like Wallachia, you can also just send all your troops into Hungary or whoever gives you military access and wait for the Horde to fully occupy you. Once they do, you become their vassal, and you can go on with your merry life.

A large nation? Yes, certainly.

A small nation? It depends. You can get the horde to screw off by offering tribute, but if too many people are paying tribute to it and it doesn't have people to fight it will DoW small tributaries even through the stab hit.

For some reason I can't move the treasury slider. I just got back to stab 3, prestige and legitimacy is high, infamy is tolerable. Is it because I recently lost my master of the mint? Is he required for minting to occur?

Edit:
Never mind, slider was locked. Didn't know it was possible to do so and not sure when I locked it. Either way right click on the slider to unlock.

Last edited:
Does church really decrease montly stability cost by 4 ducats?
It says so in game, but when I check it on montly stability increase I don't really see it.
How much is it reduced?
No, it reduces your stability cost by 4 ducats; it doesn't provide a monthly investment.

Mouse over the stability cost of any province with a church in it.