• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
With IN now having provinces joining the Holy Roman Empire be a province decision does membership also spread to surrounding provinces at random as in the past or the AI add provinces to the empire all that frequently? Playing as Austria who is the Holy Roman Emperor I vassalised Poland by annexing provinces until they were small enough to forcibly vassalise and then gave them back their provinces that I'd seized after adding them to the Empire. Now the only Polish province that isn't part of the Empire is the capital Krakow - which is surrounded by provinces that are - so will it eventually join and is there anything I can do apart from having them as a vassal, relations at 200, a military alliance, and reciprocal military access agreements to speed it up? Thanks.

I fail to locate any event doing this, the only thing I've found is a localisation tag
It's not an event, it's this line in common\defines.txt:

0.05 #_CDEF_CULTURE_LOSS_THRESHOLD_,

Which means that if your core provinces belonging to a particular culture provide less than 5% (0.05) of your total tax revenue, you will no longer accept that culture. Basically, you've expanded so much that Finland is now only a tiny backwater of your empire, so you automatically lose the culture. You could make the 0.05 number smaller if you want to cheat and keep them as accepted.

The AI won't join the Empire while you are Emperor, so no, you can't do anything.
Damn, I was trying to avoid having to eat the badboy from annexing and then releasing them as a vassal. You mentioned that they wouldn't join when I was Emperor - does that mean if I converted to a republic or some other way of resigning the imperial crown they would join if an AI controlled country was Emperor?

I've had EU3 for a few days and I'm loving it. My problem right now is with merchants. Everything I've been reading says you need to not get reliant on minting and to use your merchants instead. Right now I'm in a campaign with Aragon and doing pretty well, but my merchant chance with every single COT other than my own (I took Lisbon) is 1%. Sometimes it goes up to around 8% in a couple, but it'll go back down almost instantly. My infamy is very high from wars with Spain and Portugal, and that's the only reason I could think of for this. Is it the infamy or something else affecting it?

I did a Sweden campaign and no matter what I did, I couldn't get my merchant chance high enough. It cost more money to send merchants than what I'd receive because when I'd finally get one in a COT, the chance would decrease for all subsequent merchants and I'd also get bumped out of it in a month or two. I tried going towards free subjects, getting a merchant chance adviser, and using the increased chance national idea, but it never helped make trading profitable. What's preventing my merchant chances here?

One last question I have is how retreating in battle works. Sometimes I'll attack with thousands of troops with high morale, get defeated, but lose all my troops. I don't lose all my troops in the battle, they just disappear like what happens when you chase an army around and around the third time all the troops are wiped out. Except for me, it has happened on the very first battle a couple of times and I sit there thinking what the hell? I did have provinces to retreat to so I don't understand.

My infamy is very high from wars with Spain and Portugal, and that's the only reason I could think of for this. Is it the infamy or something else affecting it?
Definitely. Each point of infamy comes directly off your compete chance; high infamy kills your trade chances stone dead. Another problem is that early in the game, rival nations have various bonuses to their compete chance from slider positions (high Free Trade in other CoTs, Mercantilism in your own, but being in the middle benefits neither), for being Lucky, and so forth, and as a player you can't match them.

Generally if you want to be a trading nation you need to set yourself up for it. Take the two trade-related national ideas, move your sliders, increase Trade Tech, and avoid high infamy; it can take several decades before trading becomes worthwhile. It's a strong strategy - you can become extremely wealthy and high tech - but it's not the only possible approach to the game.

(Also, avoid CoTs with high competition. It can be better to send them to somewhere not quite as valuable, but also with fewer other countries chasing the same wealth. Once your tech is high enough CoTs in Asia or America can be extremely lucrative for this reason.)

One last question I have is how retreating in battle works. Sometimes I'll attack with thousands of troops with high morale, get defeated, but lose all my troops. I don't lose all my troops in the battle, they just disappear like what happens when you chase an army around and around the third time all the troops are wiped out. Except for me, it has happened on the very first battle a couple of times and I sit there thinking what the hell? I did have provinces to retreat to so I don't understand.
Armies are annihilated instantly if they're attacked at 10-1 odds, or if they're outnumbered 2-1 and are driven down to zero morale in the first two days of battle. (The last is from memory and may not be entirely correct, but it's along those lines.)

It's not an event, it's this line in common\defines.txt:

0.05 #_CDEF_CULTURE_LOSS_THRESHOLD_,

Which means that if your core provinces belonging to a particular culture provide less than 5% (0.05) of your total tax revenue, you will no longer accept that culture. Basically, you've expanded so much that Finland is now only a tiny backwater of your empire, so you automatically lose the culture. You could make the 0.05 number smaller if you want to cheat and keep them as accepted.
Thanks. I'd hardly consider keeping a major part of the Swedish heartland an accepted culture cheating, however ;)

sevenand7is27 said:
I did a Sweden campaign and no matter what I did, I couldn't get my merchant chance high enough. It cost more money to send merchants than what I'd receive because when I'd finally get one in a COT, the chance would decrease for all subsequent merchants and I'd also get bumped out of it in a month or two. I tried going towards free subjects, getting a merchant chance adviser, and using the increased chance national idea, but it never helped make trading profitable. What's preventing my merchant chances here?
Start by maxing out free trade, then plutocracy and innovative. Put _all_ research into trade tech until you get a severe ahead of time penalty, neighbour bonus will take care of the other ones. Unfortunately the AI is still spamming embargoes and trade agreements like crazy, which is suicidal - do not accept any agreements, I was hoping that would have been changed since it was so obviously detrimental in EU 1&2...

Is there a mod out there that just adds in the blank regions on the map?

Im not after a mod that changes the gameplay etc... Just that I am planning on starting a Navara migration to America game, and I would rather not have those massive blank areas in the USA lol.

Any ideas with this... As I really dont want to start my Navara game if I can eventually colonise the whole of the USA lol.

Does exist an easy way to see, what provinces are "contest" (for the minus prestige)?

Does exist an easy way to see, what provinces are "contest" (for the minus prestige)?

Diplomatic mapmode, click on your country. Cores on other provinces not held by you have green stripes.

how is Unam Sanctam suppose to work? I'm playing Ryukyu and it doesn't seem to do anything.

It is supposed to provide you with the Cleansing of Heresy CB, but that only works against other members of your religious group (Christian, Muslim, etc.) Since (as far as I know) EU 3 doesn't have multiple animist religions, it's more or less worthless to Ryukyu unless you change religion. Sorry :(

Animism and Shamanism are in a group together. However, there's not many shamanists in southeast Asia.

whats this culture shift thing i keep reading about, and how do I do it??
If your dominant and primary cultures are not the same and your capital is on a province of your dominant culture you can "culture shift" (switch your primary culture to your dominant culture) via a national decision for -5 stability. Some nations can't do this, most notably unions (Scandinavia, Russia, Germany etc).

Two more questions...
1. If an AI's capital is cut off from all its other provinces, which in turn are connected to each other, will the AI want to move its capital and if so, will it try save up enough money to do so?

2. Do fractual leader boni (such as from the offensive-defensive slider) have any actual effect in combat or will they be truncated?

Two more questions...
1. If an AI's capital is cut off from all its other provinces, which in turn are connected to each other, will the AI want to move its capital and if so, will it try save up enough money to do so?
Yes. It may also move its capital "magically".