• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is it better to save your tradition for a good general or is it better to have a general leading your troops to battle, no matter how bad?

Mechanically speaking, a crappy general (even a 1/0/0/0) is usually much better than no general; for example there's several slider positions that give your generals nice modifiers, but do nothing for general-less armies (afaik).

Generally though, it depends on the situation. If you declared war on someone relatively small, it's better to not get a general and just farm the war for army tradition for a future, more challenging war. If someone big declared war on you and you're not already prepared with high army tradition or a good general, first you pray, then you make the most of your situation and recruit a crappy general. If your ruler has a decent military stat though, and you're not too terribly attached to him, it may be a better idea to turn him into a general instead (takes no army tradition) and wait a little bit for your army tradition to rise.

In the econonmy tab, what does the % represent?
They're under Monthly Income.
Example:
Tax (##%) ##.#
Efficiency. If your tax income from your provinces is 120 ducats but your efficiency is only 50%, then your actual income will only be 60 ducats. Efficiency increases due to tech, some national ideas, etc.

Code:
trigger = {
		is_overseas = yes
		is_colony = yes
		citysize = 600
		OR= {
			religion = protestant
			religion = reformed
		}
		owner = { 
			OR= {
				religion = protestant
				religion = reformed
			}
			num_of_religion = { religion = catholic value = 1 }
			innovative_narrowminded = 1
		}
	}

Could someone explain these triggers? I want to know how to stop all my colonies switching religion once they hit 600 people!? it's the num_of_religion part and innovative_narrowminded = 1 part I'm most curious about!

Code:
trigger = {
		is_overseas = yes
		is_colony = yes
		citysize = 600
		OR= {
			religion = protestant
			religion = reformed
		}
		owner = { 
			OR= {
				religion = protestant
				religion = reformed
			}
		}
	}

Could someone explain these triggers? I want to know how to stop all my colonies switching religion once they hit 600 people!? it's the num_of_religion part and innovative_narrowminded = 1 part I'm most curious about!

"Have at least one catholic province"

"Innovative/Narrowminded slider is at least one" ( meaning, 1 or more towards Narrowminded)

After winning a naval battle and following the enemy to the retreating province, why is combat not reengaged once both parties arrive in the province? This occurs on land battles, even if the soldiers are on a multi province retreat, they can be caught.

After winning a naval battle and following the enemy to the retreating province, why is combat not reengaged once both parties arrive in the province? This occurs on land battles, even if the soldiers are on a multi province retreat, they can be caught.

My guess is that since navies usually do multi-province retreats, they set it up so that they can't be completely destroyed after losing one battle. With armies they probably didn't bother because they usually retreat only one province.

It used to be like that, but it was too easy to completely destroy an enemy navy.
It still is, but that was the reason to change it anyway.

I don't know why but I like this feature for navies. My armies and navies get caught out of position and short on morale way too often. I can frequently save my doomed navy by retreating to my nearest port instead of to a neighboring sea zone. Nobody can attack my retreating navy until I get to port.

The only way to save my doomed armies is by having a neutral province next door. I will get military access then retreat to the safe province hoping the enemy does not also have access.

"Have at least one catholic province"

"Innovative/Narrowminded slider is at least one" ( meaning, 1 or more towards Narrowminded)

Thanks..

So these happen regardless of how long ago the reformation started or counter reformation and there is no MTTH so they ALWAYS happen when your prov gets to 600? OK I need to halt colonial growth and get that slider to narrowminded =0 lol

It used to be like that, but it was too easy to completely destroy an enemy navy.
It still is, but that was the reason to change it anyway.

If it applies to navies, why doesn't it apply to armies?

Question on a different topic. In a new England game, while at war to vassalize Scotland, I occupied all their provinces to prevent them from recruiting a large army. Usually when a province is under siege and a regiment recruitment is complete, it has to fight the occupying army. So one regiment vs the number in the occupying army. However what was happening is a large number of regiments was recruited (something like 11) at once, not sequentially. This new army didn't appear to be Scottish rebels or nationalists, it had the normal Scottish flag, not the rebel one. So how does this happen?

Thanks..

So these happen regardless of how long ago the reformation started or counter reformation and there is no MTTH so they ALWAYS happen when your prov gets to 600? OK I need to halt colonial growth and get that slider to narrowminded =0 lol

No? MTTH should be 180 months for events 1423/1424/1425?

Also, there is a relation to the time after the start of the reformation... When some decades pass, religious zeal wears off from autoconverted provinces, you can become religiously homogenous again, which would also stop this event.

Thanks..

Why? It's usually cheaper to convert the province some years later than gain the last 400 population, and you get the colony up and running years faster..

The ocean is really big.

True, was just confused as to why it worked on land and not on water.

Anyone want to try their hand at this question?

Question on a different topic. In a new England game, while at war to vassalize Scotland, I occupied all their provinces to prevent them from recruiting a large army. Usually when a province is under siege and a regiment recruitment is complete, it has to fight the occupying army. So one regiment vs the number in the occupying army. However what was happening is a large number of regiments was recruited (something like 11) at once, not sequentially. This new army didn't appear to be Scottish rebels or nationalists, it had the normal Scottish flag, not the rebel one. So how does this happen?

Scotland has an event called "The Highlanders Arrive" which spawns ~12 armies.

Scotland has an event called "The Highlanders Arrive" which spawns ~12 armies.
I don't see it under missions for Scotland nor anything related to it in the events folder. Which folder/file would have the source for this?

Edit:

Found it under RandomProvinceEvents.txt

Code:
province_event = {

id = 960

trigger = {
		NOT = { year = 1500 }
		owner = {
			tag = SCO
			NOT = { has_country_modifier = braveheart }
			is_subject = no
			is_lesser_in_union = no
			war_with = ENG
		}
		SCO = { owns = 252 }
		controlled_by = owner
		region = highlands
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 3
	}

title = "EVTNAME960"
	desc = "EVTDESC960"

immediate = {
		owner = {
			add_country_modifier = {
				name = braveheart
				duration = 730
			}
		}
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA960"
		infantry = 252 # Highlands province
		infantry = 252
		infantry = 252
		infantry = 252
		infantry = 252
		infantry = 252
		infantry = 252
		infantry = 252
		cavalry = 252
		cavalry = 252
		cavalry = 252
		cavalry = 252
	}
}

So looks like if I put more troops in the Highland province, I should be able to overcome this.

Last edited: