• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What the hell just happened?? I got the reformation decision, went with protestant since wiki shows they get a bonus to taxes. Stability drops as expected, then for a few months nothing. Then several nation DoW, which I expected, but all of my troops lost every battle, no matter the number advantage! Looking back, seems all the nations that attacked me had land lvl 13, giving them access to one higher level of infantry. What was it that did me in? The low stab or the higher tech troops?

Tech levels can be a big deal, but it's also likely you forgot to turn up military maintenance or were dealing with nations that had Military Drill on top of their superior units.

If you want to convert to protestant (it has some advantages) then accept a conversion to protestant in a peace deal. "Offer tribute" > convert to protestant. This way you get no stability hit.

You also don't get any cash.

Tech levels can be a big deal, but it's also likely you forgot to turn up military maintenance or were dealing with nations that had Military Drill on top of their superior units.

The maintenance part may have been true, but I too have Military Drill so that shouldn't have been an issue. I'm thinking of continuing this game, even though my armies are wiped out and I'll probably lose much of my french provinces. If I manage to salvage things, I'll have the joy or reconquering my provinces and utterly destroying my enemies (Catille and Switzerland among others.)

Going great with my first game (Spain) but i'm running in a prestige cap of 100 points. Is it correct that you can not have more than 100 prestige?
If so than why bother with getting pretige does'n really give me any bonusses...

[Edit] Sorry calling to soon. Prestige does give some nice bonusses which go down fast xD

Last edited:
Going great with my first game (Spain) but i'm running in a prestige cap of 100 points. Is it correct that you can not have more than 100 prestige? If so than why bother with getting pretige does'n really give me any bonusses...
To spend it on expanding your sphere of influence (a diplomatic option) which in turn gives significant bonuses.

When is that "Your value of trade" amount of ducats credited to your account? I'm asking in particular for if there is a difference in placing merchants any time during the year.

Is it worth constantly sending merchants if they tend to lose their competition against foreign merchants? I have a feeling that sending merchants with one of the not-specialized-to-trading nations in central europe in 1399 has no point. And if so: How can one of these small nations with no sea access get its economy running?

Thanks, that is a good idea. Hadn't thought of that :eek:o.

It also provides good bonuses in the early game, like small morale boosts and the like.

When is that "Your value of trade" amount of ducats credited to your account? I'm asking in particular for if there is a difference in placing merchants any time during the year.

Is it worth constantly sending merchants if they tend to lose their competition against foreign merchants? I have a feeling that sending merchants with one of the not-specialized-to-trading nations in central europe in 1399 has no point. And if so: How can one of these small nations with no sea access get its economy running?

"Your Value of Trade" is added into the monthly income, divided by something (probably 12) and it benefits research. The only way for it to benefit your wallet is to mint it into cold, hard cash. Also, not for any particular time of the year, no.

Unless you have free merchants on, then it isn't. In fact, it's just a terrible waste of cash. Getting your economy up will be a long process without trade, and as such I suggest you start reforming towards Free Trade. In fifty years or so you'll have a decent amount of chance when combined with national ideas. If you really want to reform in other ways, though, you need to wait and specialize production technologies (by maxing it out and using advisors) when they come into year range (as in, they aren't saying "You are X years ahead of time and thus this will be harder to research") and build the production buildings in your provinces. At first it'll just be your yearly income, but you'll notice your monthly income rising as well once you get to the later buildings. As I said, this will probably take awhile.

Better to just get access to the sea and steal all the natives' gold.

Last edited:

Trade income is applied monthly. I suppose there's a very slight advantage if you send merchants timed to arrive just before the end of a month, though the benefit is tiny. Other than that, the time doesn't matter.

There's not much point in sending merchants to a COT you don't either own or supply most of the trade value to if you're highly mercantilistic. The only exception is if you're trying to get one of the trade bonuses - e.g., if you have very high stability costs, sending all your merchants to the main wine CoT to get -25% cost can be a big help.

Small nations can still trade in COTs on the same continent, so if you wait for a few decades while pushing Free Trade you can eventually make a lot of money. Or, just conquer new (rich!) land when the opportunity is right. You don't always need a lot of money to win wars.

I have a problem making peace with Japan playing DW. I conquered almost 90% of Japan including Kyoto. I assume that only empereor from Kyoto makes a peace deals but I can't ask for any provinces as emperor only has one. So how can I get some occupied daimyo provinces? I only have options for Concede defeat and Force Vassalisation (but 1040% :D )

ok what the hell is up with the holy roman emperor, austria is emperor as always, and they declared war on me, so im beatin them back over and over as england but they have ENDLESS stacks, their war capacity is at 0% while mines at 100, and yet they still manage to put together a stack of 70 regiments and on top of everything the stack wont evem suffer attrition, is somethin wrong here or does the emperor just get all kinds of bonuses

ok what the hell is up with the holy roman emperor, austria is emperor as always, and they declared war on me, so im beatin them back over and over as england but they have ENDLESS stacks, their war capacity is at 0% while mines at 100, and yet they still manage to put together a stack of 70 regiments and on top of everything the stack wont evem suffer attrition, is somethin wrong here or does the emperor just get all kinds of bonuses
The empire gets massive, and I mean that in every interpretation of the term, force limit and manpower bonuses; you quite simply can't beat them in a war of attrition unless you are orders of magnitude larger than they are. Mouse over their flag in the Holy Roman Empire window to see the full list of bonuses.

Austria is also incredibly rich; as Austria+Northern Italy (the cores you get from completing the "Our Claims in Northern Italy" mission) it's quite easy to maintain a force of 80 men when most other nations would struggle with 30 or 40.

The empire gets massive, and I mean that in every interpretation of the term, force limit and manpower bonuses; you quite simply can't beat them in a war of attrition unless you are orders of magnitude larger than they are. Mouse over their flag in the Holy Roman Empire window to see the full list of bonuses.

Austria is also incredibly rich; as Austria+Northern Italy (the cores you get from completing the "Our Claims in Northern Italy" mission) it's quite easy to maintain a force of 80 men when most other nations would struggle with 30 or 40.
ur not understanding me, they have a single stack of 77, plus like 3 others of over 20 each, and i already destroyed atleast 5-8 other stacks of around 20 regiments, i still dont think they have enough man power for just so much! btw how can i dismantle the empire?