• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Go to the religion tab and click the button in the bottom right which depicts someone's flag. You need higher prestige than them, 500 ducats, and they need to have been defender for at least some amount of time (don't remember exactly how long, but I think it's a year or two).

What exactly are "harbor fees" (always 5 gold?) and "tolls"?

Ah, i am in a personal union with Norway... Is there any way to cancel the personnal union? i only see the Dissolve alliance option, will that do the job?

Dissolve alliance then insult them a LOT, until they're in negative relations. Or switch to Norway and declare war on your nation, then switch back to Austria and white peace them.

Or just wait to inherit. Free provinces, after all.

Question on whether trade range is WAD in this instance: I'm brandenburg and can trade in both Liguria and Venezia when I'm landlocked - however when I take a coastal province from Pommerania the trade range suddenly shoots up (presumably calculated by sea through the baltic and all the way around Spain etc) and I'm unable to trade any more which has wrecked my economy completely. Surely I should still be able to trade in these CoTS overland, even with the acquisition of a port?

Question on whether trade range is WAD in this instance: I'm brandenburg and can trade in both Liguria and Venezia when I'm landlocked - however when I take a coastal province from Pommerania the trade range suddenly shoots up (presumably calculated by sea through the baltic and all the way around Spain etc) and I'm unable to trade any more which has wrecked my economy completely. Surely I should still be able to trade in these CoTS overland, even with the acquisition of a port?

Unfortunately that isn't really WAD (I hope). I know your pain, happens to me all the time when playing in the lowlands.

Three questions
1. When hovering over a province to see what the supply limit is I see two lines
jkOtD.png

What does the second part of the first line mean? What is my actual supply limit? Do I add the two numbers together to get 18? Also what do the different colors mean. When in my own province, the 10 above is yellow and the 8 is green, but in an enemy's the 8 will be red.​
2. Why can't I connect to Paradox Connect? I'm using the steam version and I see the red icon on the main page, but there's nothing I can do. No where to provide login credentials as far as I can see.

3. What are some good mods to try out? I've seen people constantly mention how they don't play the game unmodded.

Weight is how much supply is being used by units. If it's higher than the supply limit, attrition kicks in.

When you enact a decision to change the name of a province or provinces (for example Theme system), it used to sometimes glitch out and revert when the month ended or when you clicked on it.
Does it still do that?
(I don't know whether I should add the Ingame Colony Name Change mod to my existing edit of DAO or not).

3. What are some good mods to try out? I've seen people constantly mention how they don't play the game unmodded.

Devlet-i Ali Osman for a vastly improved map and provinces. Oh and there's an alternate version with 2010 borders in 1399.

AirotciV to start playing in any year from 11 AD to 2011 AD. However it's very buggy right now.

MEIOU to... Well it adds a lot of stuff--new highly-detailed provinces, the V2 map, lots of decisions, and an earlier start date, etc. It might run slow though because of all that it adds.

MiscMods for 3 alternate-history scenarios (balkanized Europe, barbarian Europe being colonized by the Muslims, and Europe where the Crusades were extremely successful) and new American separatist nations.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers so far guys, helps out a bit. Have another one.

I'm trying to create GB off the bat, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the conquer Scotland mission. I get my relationship with them below 50 (sent two insults) and only have gotten the mission once, out of about 20 starts.

I've tried to save the game before I complete the conquer Ireland mission in hopes of having two chances to get the Scotland one and reload the game if I don't. It seems I'm getting the same two missions in a row for the past two times I've tried this. Is the order of mission selected at game start? Because it doesn't seem like a random roll.

Question: Has the "Land Reform" decision been removed in Divine Wind?

Me and my friend have been playing a multiplayer campaign for two days now, and when we decided to continue it, we couldn't.
When we "scan" for games, nothing happens.
When we try to "join internetgame" with our IP adresses, nothing happens.

We even tried joining through the metaserver, and we were able to see each other in there, even chat, but when we tried joining each others games, we got a "game not found" message.

So what's happening? We haven't done anything different since yesterday.

Thanks for the answers so far guys, helps out a bit. Have another one.

I'm trying to create GB off the bat, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the conquer Scotland mission. I get my relationship with them below 50 (sent two insults) and only have gotten the mission once, out of about 20 starts.

I've tried to save the game before I complete the conquer Ireland mission in hopes of having two chances to get the Scotland one and reload the game if I don't. It seems I'm getting the same two missions in a row for the past two times I've tried this. Is the order of mission selected at game start? Because it doesn't seem like a random roll.

This Mission was changed with Divine Wind. Now you have to fulfill the former Requirements and it wont fire till the Year 1603 or later. If you are aiming for Great Britain, you could use the Vassalize Scotland Mission instead and annex them after 10 Years.

This Mission was changed with Divine Wind. Now you have to fulfill the former Requirements and it wont fire till the Year 1603 or later. If you are aiming for Great Britain, you could use the Vassalize Scotland Mission instead and annex them after 10 Years.

That's good to know... because in my current English game, I got the "Vassalize Scotland" mission right off the bat and decided to just go ahead and do it instead of insulting/cancelling/hoping for the Annex mission.

... it was an awesome war, by the way. France and three of the Irish states all joined in on Scotland's side, and I was able to force the Scots to accept vassalization, sink the whole French Navy, and force the French to abrogate their cores on Calais, Gascoyne and Labourd.

Does each country added to your Sphere of Influence cost more Prestige than the last one? If your Prestige drops too low, does your Sphere of Influence start shrinking?

Does each country added to your Sphere of Influence cost more Prestige than the last one? If your Prestige drops too low, does your Sphere of Influence start shrinking?

Yes and yes. But the second is only from a relatively rare event that fires at low prestige (possibly even only negative prestige, I forget)

Oh, and the rule for adding to your sphere is basically just going up in cost by two for each nation added.

Question: Has the "Land Reform" decision been removed in Divine Wind?

Yes. Most of the generic provincial decisions have.

To expand on this, the idea was that stuff like Land Reform was too similar to a building. You spend some money and a magistrate in a province and its revenue increases. That's why (well, one of the reasons) DW has fewer general purpose province decisions and much more buildings.

Three questions
1. When hovering over a province to see what the supply limit is I see two lines
jkOtD.png

What does the second part of the first line mean? What is my actual supply limit? Do I add the two numbers together to get 18? Also what do the different colors mean. When in my own province, the 10 above is yellow and the 8 is green, but in an enemy's the 8 will be red.​
The second one is "What would happen if you moved what army you have selected at the moment into that province", so it basically adds all of the troops you have selected to the troops that stands there, and gets red if it is lower then the limit.

2. Why can't I connect to Paradox Connect? I'm using the steam version and I see the red icon on the main page, but there's nothing I can do. No where to provide login credentials as far as I can see.

I also have the steam version, and i can connect to the paradox thingy by simply clicking onto the red icon in the far lower right and then a window pops up where i can input my information. It might be hidden under some steam stuff popping up.