• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is a current game I'm playing with a friend. I intend to Brandenburg > Prussia > Germany, however the TO seem to be doing pretty well. I'm wondering how I'm going to take Ostpreussen seeing as it's their capital.

eg78L.jpg

My question is how might I go about forming Prussia?

I suppose I've got 50 years to do it in. I'm in an alliance war with them currently, so I was thinking of maybe occupying them entirely, forcing the release of whatever I can get, and then funding patriot rebels around the place while they're defenceless. Lithuania can't retake its cores because it's in a PU under Castille, and Novgorod/Denmark are busy with Sweden.

Get some alliances with surrounding blobs (Novgorod, Poland, Denmark, Sweden) and encourage them to come take a share of the TO while at the same time making sure you occupy any provinces you want to ensure they don't take. If too much stuff that you don't want is still left, repeat.

Poland should be more than happy to take Grodno and Podlasie, same with Novgorod and Pskov. Sweden and Denmark will want Gotland, Denmark will want Osel. Novgorod will probably also take Livonia and Estonia if you give it the chance. Seeing as you'll probably want Danzig, Warmia, Ostpreussen, and Memel (the Prussian cores) that makes nearly everything.

If you can't convince those nations to join, there are generally equivalent nations that you can release; if Novgorod isn't interested, force-release Pskov; if Sweden or Denmark aren't interested, force-release Gotland. Encourage Riga to grab a chunk of Livonia. Release Kurland. Etc, etc.

Get bigger than the TO and try to force a PU on them after they become Prussia? Then, once you inherit/integrate, you can become Prussia.

This is a current game I'm playing with a friend. I intend to Brandenburg > Prussia > Germany, however the TO seem to be doing pretty well. I'm wondering how I'm going to take Ostpreussen seeing as it's their capital.
As Pommerania, I took them right on the beginning of the game, as soon as they got into a war with DEN/SWE/NOR. I went for an infamy costly spree, which involved breaking truce and eating them as soon as possible. Then I could just relax, burning infamy until the Reformation comes in (but be sure to take the imperial provinces separatly from their capital, you get core on them right away).

Does it help to hold slave-producing provinces if you want the trading in slaves bonus? +25? Or do you just have to control most of the trade in cots?

Do Venice decisions Galley cost -40% and Confirm Thalassa -20% (big and light)

Also reduce maintenance costs?

I'm currently progressing in a WC attempt as France but I am leaving most of Europe while I Holy War elsewhere until I can get the Cabinet NI for the higher cost of taking land in Europe. Due to this I have a ton of distant overseas provinces which are not giving taxes or production. Would it make sense to move my capital to Judea or another place in Arabia/Africa/Middle East so that mainland France and Turkey are distant overseas instead? I assume that once I have a full land connection from my capital to Arabia that they will no longer count as overseas.

Yes, use the Form Chinese Nation decision. (you need to annex Manchu and it has to be after 1650 or something like that)

Other then that, no, not really.

I hear that decision is bugged and will instantly crash the game? Was that fixed?

I'm currently progressing in a WC attempt as France but I am leaving most of Europe while I Holy War elsewhere until I can get the Cabinet NI for the higher cost of taking land in Europe. Due to this I have a ton of distant overseas provinces which are not giving taxes or production. Would it make sense to move my capital to Judea or another place in Arabia/Africa/Middle East so that mainland France and Turkey are distant overseas instead? I assume that once I have a full land connection from my capital to Arabia that they will no longer count as overseas.

It would make more sense to move your capital to one of the many European provinces in Anatolia (use region mapmode), so neither France nor anything connected by land to your new capital is overseas.

That's why it's so nice that the Caribbean is part of the North America region: you can move your capital to New York, making mainland North America, mainland South America, and the Caribbean all not count as overseas.

Though in your case, can you really afford the stab cost of moving your capital? In my WC, stability drops are still scary, and it's ~1630 with 336 colleges (lots of stab cost reduction). I didn't manage to get rid of the overseas modifier until after I was already pushing into China; I personally just pummeled Scandinavia and the Hansa until I could string a chain of forced PUs around the northern side of the empire and down into Russia.

What calvary is used for? Infrantry have like 10 points and calvary just 3 etc. and calvary is more expensive. How I should use calvary (playing hasa)?

Cavalry is superior until the mid 1700s or so. Go to the military screen and look at the place you can change your preferred units. On the right, it lists fire/shock/morale modifiers for them. Infantry have things like 0.5 for most of the game, while cavalry have things like 3. As in, basically, an infantry unit's shock stat of say 6 gets multiplied by 0.5, while the cavalry's shock stats of say 3 gets multiplied by 3, making the cavalry 3 times better than the infantry in shock.

If you're playing Haasa, this is especially the case, since Muslim cavalry is so strong early and mid game.

Last edited:
Wow, so I moved my capital to a province in Turkey and my production went up to 476/month, tax doubled, and I no longer need over 150 ships for my tariffs. My stab cost is 12000 per level and it takes about 14 months to gain a level, well worth it to switch, I also gained over 350 ducats per month in research which gave a huge boost. My alternative was to take about another 15 years of fighting through the European countries gaining a ton of infamy that would take too long to burn off without the Cabinet NI.

Whenever I scorch earth, it seems to ruin my garrison (i.e. puts them down to 100/200 men) so when the enemy arrives they just assault and win or the siege ends very quickly, kind of defeating the point of scorching. Is this working as intended, and are there any work arounds if so?

First i have united the HRE as Austria. My government is Administrative monarchy and i would want to switch to Administrative republic but i cant. Is it because i am still technically the "Emperor" and must have a monarchy or im missing something? When i mousehover the option it tells i cant switch from my current gov type. And i really need a republic since my next heir is 4/4/4 which will make me overextended.

Cavalry is superior until the mid 1700s or so. Go to the military screen and look at the place you can change your preferred units. On the right, it lists fire/shock/morale modifiers for them. Infantry have things like 0.5 for most of the game, while cavalry have things like 3. As in, basically, an infantry unit's shock stat of say 6 gets multiplied by 0.5, while the cavalry's shock stats of say 3 gets multiplied by 3, making the cavalry 3 times better than the infantry in shock.

This is only partly correct. Having double the pips in shock/fire/morale does not mean double damage. Pips are added to a 0-9 dice roll, which results in a modified die roll that is used to calculate damage. So roughly an offensive pip means an additive 10% more damage and a defensive an additive 10% less damage.

See for more details http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Military#Combat

Also, cavalry can attack units two spaces away in the battle line, making it very suited on the flanks.

First i have united the HRE as Austria. My government is Administrative monarchy and i would want to switch to Administrative republic but i cant. Is it because i am still technically the "Emperor" and must have a monarchy or im missing something? When i mousehover the option it tells i cant switch from my current gov type. And i really need a republic since my next heir is 4/4/4 which will make me overextended.

Are you in a personal union with some other country? This makes it impossible to switch to a republic, IIRC. Or maybe you have regency currently which also prevents that?