• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Right forgot about that...

Anything else? How do you guys who are experts manage this?
The only other non-abusive ways of doing it are the Cabinet NI and releasing vassals in some of your poorer land (although you shouldn't've conquered that land in the first place). As a general rule if you find yourself riding the infamy limit the question isn't so much "how can I reduce my Infamy faster" as "why did I hit the Infamy limit in the first place?".

Edit: Also there are some HRE related modifiers and some national decisions which either increase or decrease it, and having cardinals (as a Catholic nation) reduces it by .1/cardinal. The cultural decision "support the florentine school" also helps a bit.

Last edited:
Well in my GB game Im trying to take over India slowly... The thing is stuff spiraled out of control last night and I ended up taking more land than I had planned for that particular war and it was just too tempting to pass up so I took it... But now I have a 25 year wait on my hands at the very least lol.

Another question:

How do you maintain a reasonably high Army/Navy Tradition?

I usually go up a little in a war, but I have never got more than 30% or so, and it drops suddenly randomly...

Shouldnt Army Tradition be based on battles won and war won and not really decrease at all? Like the generals who faught in those wars would surely pass on that experience (isnt that the whole basis of Army tradition?)

Another question:

How do you maintain a reasonably high Army/Navy Tradition?

I usually go up a little in a war, but I have never got more than 30% or so, and it drops suddenly randomly...

Shouldnt Army Tradition be based on battles won and war won and not really decrease at all? Like the generals who faught in those wars would surely pass on that experience (isnt that the whole basis of Army tradition?)
It doesn't decay very fast, so if you accumulate any reasonable amount of it then you should still have some left far into the future. If you want to keep it up, pick the relevant NIs (Seahawks/Battlefield Commissions) and do the relevant actions (fight naval/land battles, explore/siege provinces). The advisors also help a bit (although they need tradition to get in the first place) and don't forget to grab an Admiralty and a War College as soon as possible.

The big one is sieges, so try to do as many as possible.

Ok... I must be doing something wrong as I generally never have more than 5 or 6% Army at the start of any given war...

I dont have the NI as I need other ones and they dont seem to give that much tradition or am I reading it wrong?

Ok... I must be doing something wrong as I generally never have more than 5 or 6% Army at the start of any given war...

I dont have the NI as I need other ones and they dont seem to give that much tradition or am I reading it wrong?

No bonus to your Military Tradition will mean that it slowly decays towards zero. A +1% bonus to it will mean that it slowly decays (or increases, if below) towards 33%.

Oh really?

Man these NI are hard to read, they should make things like that more clear... I might see if I can grab it next time...

It's because the per-month tradition decay is multiplicative, while the bonus from the NI is additive... so the two tendancies balance out at 33% tradition, where the yearly (percentage) loss from decay exactly equals the yearly (linear) gain from the NI.

Haha ok... This sounds way to complicated... But thanks Ill be sure to pick the NI next time I get a chance... Would be very helpful...

How many war colleges can I build and do they act in the same way as the NI?

Haha ok... This sounds way to complicated... But thanks Ill be sure to pick the NI next time I get a chance... Would be very helpful...

How many war colleges can I build and do they act in the same way as the NI?

Just one; other than that, it's pretty much the same (although the NI does have some neat events attached to it, like free Generals).

Ok next question

I have a large colonial empire in North America, almost all of this is now cored...

For my most rich colonies, what buildings do what? Do the trade ones increase tariffs?

Basically what building path is most beneficial in regards to getting yearly/monthly income? (like in what area should I go to lvl 5 and 6 in?)

Ok next question

I have a large colonial empire in North America, almost all of this is now cored...

For my most rich colonies, what buildings do what? Do the trade ones increase tariffs?

Basically what building path is most beneficial in regards to getting yearly/monthly income? (like in what area should I go to lvl 5 and 6 in?)

The trade line of building would the the most economically beneficial in colonies. You will get higher tariffs and the COT the colonies trade though will be worth more thus increasing trade income.

Ive got my own question. Say my missionaries have a success rate of 12%. Is that per month or per year?

Imfamy...

Is there anything Im not thinking of to get rid of it?
Not as gamey as releasing/conquering the same vassal: conquer with holy war or colonial conquest casus belli, then release vassals for more infamy than you received for annexing/demanding provinces; has the added side effect of converting them to your faith.
Check beforehand if they have enough cores on their own provinces or on provinces of non-existent countries. Only those you will be able to release as vassals.

Imfamy...

Is there anything Im not thinking of to get rid of it?

All I notice is your ruler helps, and you can hire an advisor to help get rid of it...

Anything else Im missing? Cause it is taking ages lol.

High DIP ruler (if you're a republic and can choose), embassy, diplomat, being catholic (you automatically get cardinals) should get you above 1.5 infamy/year, 2 if your colonial empire is early and huge (cardinal chance depends on number of catholic provinces).

Ok next question

The wiki is pretty helpful on this. A good rule of thumb is: if you're willing to spend a lot on buildings, go for trade lvl 5/6 in as many provinces as you can. Post Offices and Customs Houses are incredibly strong when massed up.

High DIP ruler (if you're a republic and can choose), embassy, diplomat, being catholic (you automatically get cardinals) should get you above 1.5 infamy/year, 2 if your colonial empire is early and huge (cardinal chance depends on number of catholic provinces).
Cabinet NI once you reach Govt. Tech 30.

yeah got gov tech 30 last night and got cabinet, also ditched QFTNW and replaced with Battlefield commissions...

Now my tradition says +1 NI, +1 War College, does that mean it will naturally grow to 66%?

Ok so trade path it is...

yes it would stabilize towards 66%
It's pretty much the only way to have great generals if you aren't constantly fighting wars

Playing as France in the D&T mod, and its 1461 and I'm slowly conquering the Iberian peninsula, just curious if I should switch to Empire? Is that a dumb question, should I just always switch to Empire when I have the chance? Or stay Feudal Monarchy?