• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I keep trying to send merchants. At one point I had 3 in venice, 1 in Lubeck and 1 in Andalucia but I lost them all at the same time. Right now my compete chances are at about 40-50 in the richest CoT's and at about 60 in the low/mids. Whenever I do get someone into a centre they normally last a couple of months at best before getting kicked out again. Considering it costs me 12 ducats a time is it a total waste of money trying to send out merchants? I must have spent hundreds of ducats on merchant expeditions and only made back about 1/4 at the very best.
Trade can be very profitable but only if your country is set up for it. In the CoT screen, put your mouse over one of the other country shields to see the factors affecting your compete chance. Things to look out for include:

High infamy
Low prestige
Owning a CoT in a non-core province.
Low Trade tech compared to rivals
Your sliders - you want high Free Trade to compete in other people's CoTs, high Mercantilism to compete in ones you own yourself.*

These are all things you can work on fixing if you want to trade. On the other hand, countries who start as Lucky nations or who are members of the Hansa* get bonuses to their compete chance which you can't match yourself. Later on, you can get the two national ideas which boost your trade ability - and if you own a coastal province in India or south-East Asia, there's a decision which gives you a +10% compete chance bonus as well.

By the late game, if you move your country that way you can compete head-on in trade with anyone and win. Early in the game, it might be cheaper to avoid trade unless you either own a CoT yourself, or you get access to one outside of Europe where there's not as much competition.

*(This is in IN - it's different in HttT/DW. I assume by your icon you're playing the Complete Edition?)

... Considering it costs me 12 ducats a time is it a total waste of money trying to send out merchants? I must have spent hundreds of ducats on merchant expeditions and only made back about 1/4 at the very best.

The placement cost varies widely, just as the initial compete chance does. Cut-throat competition continues after the merchant wins a 'seat', so even if you get a merchant in, his stay is... I was going to say 'random' but its based on the compete chance, etc. Nowadays I'll only send a merchant if my chances look good, like the 75%+ chance owing to an open seat - and even then I'll prefer to send to a more lucrative CoT. I suspect that when wars involve nations embargo-ing each other, more seats become open. However, I have in no way tracked this to positively establish a cause/effect relationship. I'm usually not paying attention to the log.

Now, if you come across the ****** advisor for compete chance bonus, he can give you a big edge.

Can anybody please confirm that there is Tripoli core on Songhai territory in DW 5.0, when you start in 1399? There is supposedly a core there, but in my game, there is none. I have tried re-installing the game, so I need to know whether it is me or the Paradoxian who is wrong?

Can anybody please confirm that there is Tripoli core on Songhai territory in DW 5.0, when you start in 1399? There is supposedly a core there, but in my game, there is none. I have tried re-installing the game, so I need to know whether it is me or the Paradoxian who is wrong?

No, there isn't a core on Songhai. Where did you see that it did? Tripoli can't even see Songhai at the start of the game.

No, there isn't a core on Songhai. Where did you see that it did? Tripoli can't even see Songhai at the start of the game.

I know. It's what I read in the Achievement Megathread. It is also on the EU3 Wiki, if you look at Songhai Strategy. It made no sense to me, because as you say, they (Tripoli) can't even see south of the Sahara.
But thank you, good to know.

*(This is in IN - it's different in HttT/DW. I assume by your icon you're playing the Complete Edition?)

I upgraded to HTTT last week. I am getting a bit more luck with merchants at the moment although I am only going in if the compete chance is better than 66%.

I am Austria and have no plans at all to colonise, should i bump my naval tech down to say 1 or 1.5 and give the investment elsewhere rather than the 3.8 or is there goo cause for steady investment despite my land only plans?

Also the armies of other countries (Aquillia and Bavaria) for example are marching through my country to get to others and I didn't give them military permission and when I look at the options there is a "give access" but no "remove access". Is this a bug?

Last edited:
Lord Proprietor

Lord Proprietor +2 Colonial Growth

Why on earth would I hire this guy? It's pretty hard to have a colony in the first place IMO (will take easily 5 years to mature at ~20 ducats a year, sending ~8 colonists @ 20 each = 200 ducats). Hiring this guy (lets say 4 star) might save one colonist and speed up maturity by a year. In that time span a 4* tech advisor will bing 12x12x8=1152 ducats in tech.

Unless this guy stimulates overseas growth he seems pretty worthless.

Why on earth would I hire this guy? It's pretty hard to have a colony in the first place IMO (will take easily 5 years to mature at ~20 ducats a year, sending ~8 colonists @ 20 each = 200 ducats). Hiring this guy (lets say 4 star) might save one colonist and speed up maturity by a year. In that time span a 4* tech advisor will bing 12x12x8=1152 ducats in tech.

he is pretty pointless if he could get a 50% buff he might be worth it if you have a very large ammount of colonies or want to reduce you colonial upkeep without reducing the rate of maturity.

When the senior partner of a personal union is vassalized, what happens to the junior partner? Are they released from the union, vassalized along with the senior, or completely unaffected?

The junior partner is released and gets a new king if the senior partner is vassalized or annexed. There has been a bug where the PU stays up if the senior partner is completely absorbed by rebel defections (no annexation), but I haven't seen it thus far in DW.

Because the alternative strategy to sending all your colonists to one province for 5 years is to send out each colonist to an empty province. If you just have one colony he obviously sucks, but if you have 40 colonies (2 colonists a year 20 years for a colony to mature) he becomes better. This strategy was a lot stronger in HTTT when you didn't have to worry about magistrates to put all the buildings in place.

In that situation 40 colonies 4 star advisors he is giving you 8*40 people a month = 320 people =3.2 colonists. colonists cost 20g. Therefore he is giving you 64 ducats a month. Better than the 8 ducats that 4* tech advisors gives you, no? Indeed you can see that you only need around 6 colonies at the same time, which is entirely sustainable even in DW for the Lord Proprietor to be more beneficial than the tech advisor. And at 5 colonies they provide the same monthly ducat 'investment'. Indeed at 30 colonies a 1* Proprietor provides the same investment as a 6* tech advisor...

The same is true of the Land of Opportunity NI it becomes better at generating growth than colonial ventures if you have 5 or more colonies...

Last edited:
@Blastaz

But a colony costs 20d/y to maintain, no? How can you support 10 colonies at 20d a month? I guess you'd need a BIG empire, in which case any tech advisor dwarfs your monthly income/census tax in any case.

So, to recap: He's only worth while if you are a big empire, both in size as well as colonies?

How do you perform diplomatic functions with Japan as a western country? I've discovered most of Japan by just sailing around it, but I can't get access to Kyoto which is what I think is needed to use any of the diplomatic options. I want to declare war on them, but I just can't get access to Kyoto.

How do you perform diplomatic functions with Japan as a western country? I've discovered most of Japan by just sailing around it, but I can't get access to Kyoto which is what I think is needed to use any of the diplomatic options. I want to declare war on them, but I just can't get access to Kyoto.

you dont have to physical acces to them, you only need to see at least one province. just select Kyoto province, diplo options and declare war. Though i donth think you can wage war on all japan until they unite...
probably only on kyoto, where you wont be able to land your troops anyway :)

you dont have to physical acces to them, you only need to see at least one province. just select Kyoto province, diplo options and declare war. Though i donth think you can wage war on all japan until they unite...
probably only on kyoto, where you wont be able to land your troops anyway :)

I'm not sure if I made this clear before, but I haven't discovered Kyoto, so I can't select it. I believe it's a landlocked province, so I can't discover it by sailing, and I can't get military access to the country because I can't engage in diplomacy with any of the Daimyos who as far as I know have their foreign affairs handled through the Emperor (who is in Kyoto).

@Blastaz

But a colony costs 20d/y to maintain, no? How can you support 10 colonies at 20d a month? I guess you'd need a BIG empire, in which case any tech advisor dwarfs your monthly income/census tax in any case.

So, to recap: He's only worth while if you are a big empire, both in size as well as colonies?

5 colonies (the point at which a proprietor provides an equal investment) cost 100d a year. That is not too hard to take off your census tax as a medium sized power, and if you are a small power why are you colonising anyway? If all you are doing is grabbing one or two rich caribean colonies and nothing else you are not focusing on colonising. It is a general rule that you spend your advisor slots on something you are focusing on anyway. Eg diplomat advisors are vital for shedding BB, therefore they are very useful in many circumstances, if you are playing a OPM trading game then they are useless too...

I'm not sure if I made this clear before, but I haven't discovered Kyoto, so I can't select it. I believe it's a landlocked province, so I can't discover it by sailing, and I can't get military access to the country because I can't engage in diplomacy with any of the Daimyos who as far as I know have their foreign affairs handled through the Emperor (who is in Kyoto).

This is a known bug, that is being fixed in the patch supposedly. Whether they do this by giving Kyoto sea access (which would be the most obvious work around) or not remains to be seen.

Is there a way to remove the armies from the map temporarily? My problem is I can't select Corfu if it's not under fow and the army displays.

Just been playing and noticed buddhists do not have religious event to increase the number of missionaries. From what I remember all other major religions do. It would be handy as when westernising even if u pick the national idea for +.5 with sliders gives you only .1 gain. Or am I missing something and is there a way to increase missionaries?