• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How does shock and fire work? Say I attack a 10k stack with a 10k stack of my own, same sliders, units, modifies etc. How exactly does the general modify the outcome?

How does shock and fire work? Say I attack a 10k stack with a 10k stack of my own, same sliders, units, modifies etc. How exactly does the general modify the outcome?

Each round of combat has two phases; fire and shock. Fire always comes first. So if you have 3 pips in fire, let's say, you'll get a +3 modifier to your die roll for that phase. Cavalry are mostly shock, infantry varies (more shock in the early game, more fire in the late game), artillery are mostly fire.

Code:
country_event = {

id = XXXXX

trigger = {
		tag = THIS
		war = { culture_group = iberian }
		NOT = { war_with = {
			who = has_country_flag = defender_of_iberia} }
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 1
}

title = "EVTNAMEXXXXX"
	desc = "EVTDESCXXXXX"

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTBXXXX"			# We have no choice
		set_country_flag = religious_revolution
		war = { who = has_country_flag = defender_of_iberia }
}
I've been playing around with some events... but I'm not sure how can I use "who" to do what I the event to do.

Last edited:
I am playing as France, had my fair share of wars and am on my way to ruling Central Europe and North America. I had the highest Prestige in the game then it all went down hill. I keep getting this event called the Hanseatic Kansor. Neither options are wonderful as my Stability (with all my wars) hovers between 0-1 so I cant accept it very often, so since I had plenty of prestige I let it eat that up. Now my prestige is way low and I KEEP getting this event all the time!!! Someone help! How do I stop getting the event. Since its trade related I thought I was putting too much taxes into trade tech but that doesn't seem to help either. Any answers would be appreciated.

Last edited:
What happens to cardinals when there is no longer a Papal State? Im 60-70% done with world conquest and im wondering if i should save the Papacy for last or if i can safely annex them once im the last catholic nation on earth.

Last edited:
What happens to cardinals when there is no longer a Papal State? Im 60-70% done with world conquest and im wondering if i should save the Papacy for last or if i can safely annex them once im the last catholic nation on earth.

If you conquer the Pope, the Papal States will (or should) just move. Now, the Pope won't like that very much, and you'll be at risk for excommunication and you'll probably lose Cardinals. But it shouldn't affect your strategy.

This may sound stupid but I'm serious; does this game have a bias to kill really good heirs trough events? Whenever I get a 8-7--8 heir or something similar he seems to die really fast trough events
(while I've never had it with crappy heirs)

I've had the "Boundary Dispute" event fire dozens of times, but never on a capital. The result is that as Spain I've conquered most of France and northern Italy but with a few (now) OPMs sitting about - Brittany, Bourbonois, Switzerland, Modena, Urbino, and Siena. Does a Boundary Dispute ever appear for OPMs? Am I going to be stuck with these guys until I get revolution/counter-revolution?

I've had the "Boundary Dispute" event fire dozens of times, but never on a capital. The result is that as Spain I've conquered most of France and northern Italy but with a few (now) OPMs sitting about - Brittany, Bourbonois, Switzerland, Modena, Urbino, and Siena. Does a Boundary Dispute ever appear for OPMs? Am I going to be stuck with these guys until I get revolution/counter-revolution?

Border dispute never comes up for capitals. But you don't have to wait for revolution - a well-placed excommunication, an heretic religion, alliances, or a mission will give you CBs to wipe them.

Does occupied enemy provinces cost stability for the occupier.. as well?

Not sure I understand you; occupying or not occupying enemy provinces has nothing to do with stability. Unless you're asking if you have to pay stability cost (to restore a point of stability) for provinces you're occupying, in which case I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Not sure I understand you; occupying or not occupying enemy provinces has nothing to do with stability. Unless you're asking if you have to pay stability cost (to restore a point of stability) for provinces you're occupying, in which case I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

That was exactly what I was wondering about :p

What happens if the Holy Roman Emperor dies, without votes - and there are two other lands with the highest, and equal votes?
Example: Austria is HRE and the Austrian king dies. Austria does only have 1 supporter (out of seven). Brandenburg and Bohemia has three supporters, each.
Succesion war? xD

Does building a workshop etc have any effect on tariff income? Should one build it in a colony?

What happens if the Holy Roman Emperor dies, without votes - and there are two other lands with the highest, and equal votes?
Example: Austria is HRE and the Austrian king dies. Austria does only have 1 supporter (out of seven). Brandenburg and Bohemia has three supporters, each.
Succesion war? xD
There are factors to solve ties. Prestige is one of them, I don't knwo what the others are.

Guessed that. But it can still be a tie.
100 - 100, for example.

Anyone got any clue?

I've never seen this happen, but I think it would probably be which ever power is larger. Infamy would be another good guess. If this actually happens, let me know what comes of it!

I've never seen this happen, but I think it would probably be which ever power is larger. Infamy would be another good guess. If this actually happens, let me know what comes of it!

Currently Bohemia is the emperor, but they do only have their own vote. Three votes goes to Brandenburg, while the three last goes to The Palantinate(!)

Btw, even though it's small, there's a chance that with prestige, # provinces, infamy... legitimacy(?) I could STILL be a TIE. :S :p

I'm playing as Hansa, and can form the Netherlands. However i was wondering if it would be better to wait till i got the East India Trade Company first then formed Netherlands, then get the Oost-Indische Compagnie. Ending up with both trade companies.

Is it possible to get both East India Trade Company and Oost-Indische Compagnie?