• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, the more provinces you have, the larger your tech costs. As far as rich land goes, Sweden isn't really on that list.
Also, colonies are really expensive. You need to move slowly, take the +33% growth idea. That really helps, and lets you turn down your maintenance saving you lots of cash.

I know that I don't have the richest lands... but in technology mapmode I'm just a big red dot. I always thought Ai is Killing their research with minting and they do mint like mad, but I'm far behind nethertheless...

I've got the steam version, and it ran really quick to start with but I've discovered it's taking longer and longer to save my game. The game is still running at normal speed, that's fine. But when I hit 'save', or when January 1st rocks around, the time I have to wait for it to save is getting progressively longer.

Also, in the main menu when I swap from the scenarios list to my list of saved games, it's taking progressively longer to load the list of saved games as well.

Anyone know what's causing this and what I can do?

Steam version... I'm under the impression that manually patching it is potentially hazardous.

I know that I don't have the richest lands... but in technology mapmode I'm just a big red dot. I always thought Ai is Killing their research with minting and they do mint like mad, but I'm far behind nethertheless...
The problem is your low income. Trade should and will help you with research. With a big colonial power as Portugal, I manage to be first in one or two techs by having a very good income from Trade and focusing.

Can maybe someone try this out and tell me why I'm so terribly backwards?
It's my game as Ireland (1500) and for some reason I don't know, I'm way behind in tech.

As others have pointed out, you own some really poor provinces. Go check the average province income in Italy or France, compared to yours The only thing I can suggest is to spend some magistrates and money to get your culture tech up, and try to get some good advisors. Also, Greenland is hardly worth colonising. A good rule of thumb is to colonise (or conquer) only provinces that have at least a 3 ducat tax base.

What causes the "Glorious shall ... be" event to fire that gives you lots of cores? I got it playing as Tuscany, made a silly mistake and went back to thew most recent autosave, and it didn't fire again. Is this only an event for Tuscany, or do all the Italian minors get it?

Thanks in advance for replies.

I got really lucky in my Cherokee game and got an admin 8 chief less than a year before the first European colony on my border, so it's about 1548, I've fully westernized my tech and reformed to a noble republic.

Should I wait around and hope for the event that'll turn me Christian, or just go ahead and westernize the military? Europe's an absolute mess so colonization is spotty - Castille and Scotland have one colony each on my border.

I got really lucky in my Cherokee game and got an admin 8 chief less than a year before the first European colony on my border, so it's about 1548, I've fully westernized my tech and reformed to a noble republic.

Should I wait around and hope for the event that'll turn me Christian, or just go ahead and westernize the military? Europe's an absolute mess so colonization is spotty - Castille and Scotland have one colony each on my border.

If you seize those colonies and place a missionary on it with no funding, so that the chance to convert is 0% you should be able to spawn christian rebels that force convert provinces. Thats a cheesy way of doing it, since I think the event barely fires.

If you seize those colonies and place a missionary on it with no funding, so that the chance to convert is 0% you should be able to spawn christian rebels that force convert provinces. Thats a cheesy way of doing it, since I think the event barely fires.

That would happen even with westernized military, right? If so I'll probably go ahead and do that.

I thought if you collapsed your religion was forcefully changed.
Only within your religion group.

TO convert to a heathen religion, you have to first reduce yourself to a single province of the desired religion, then go bankrupt.

Thanks for all, who answered to me... in fact, I just didn't realized that trade income is directly invested. I just got a lucky event, giving me some money and invested in nearly complete in merchants. Now I'm quite good in terms of tech, closed the gap to the other countries.
Its just ridicilous that I can't have something which is worth to be called "army"...

Thanks for all, who answered to me... in fact, I just didn't realized that trade income is directly invested. I just got a lucky event, giving me some money and invested in nearly complete in merchants. Now I'm quite good in terms of tech, closed the gap to the other countries.
Its just ridicilous that I can't have something which is worth to be called "army"...

Lack of manpower/force limits?

I seem to remember a program that let you analyze the history for a saved game and then browse through the compiled information to find the biggest war, or some other interesting information. I think it could also produce an animated map .gif showing how borders changed over time. What is that program? Does it work with Divine Wind?

edit: found them

Last edited:
Hate to ask this, but where is the EU3 tech support thread?