• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm doing my first Swiss game in DW. I sponsored some Rheinlander Patriot rebels and have gained Breisgau, Baden, and Elsass through defections. If I 'promote cultural unity' in these provinces (erasing the cores there) will I still get imperial sanctions for unlawfully holding territory in the empire?

*edit* Apparantly I still do :/

Last edited:
I'm doing my first Swiss game in DW. I sponsored some Rheinlander Patriot rebels and have gained Breisgau, Baden, and Elsass through defections. If I 'promote cultural unity' in these provinces (erasing the cores there) will I still get imperial sanctions for unlawfully holding territory in the empire?

*edit* Apparantly I still do :/

Indeed, you need to have cores on the provinces yourself to prevent sanctions.

How do you create the Kingdom of Jerusalem? I occupied the region and converted it to Catholicism but can't release it as a vassal.

Also is it possible for the Papal State to vassalize the Knights peacefully?

How do you create the Kingdom of Jerusalem? I occupied the region and converted it to Catholicism but can't release it as a vassal.
There's a national decision.

Also is it possible for the Papal State to vassalize the Knights peacefully?
No. Peaceful vassalization requires a royal marriage and an alliance, and PAP can never change its form of government to one that permits RMs.

Got a few more questions.

I have chosen Holland and currently in the late 1400's i am roflowning Mali (those dirty pagans!) and i just noted that from all the territory i annexed from Songhai (8 provinces) i get 0 tax from any of them.

Is it normal that i don't get tax from those dirty pagans? and if so how do i fix it and get my precious ducats.

Also since my sliders are all the way to innovative i have 0 missionaries to send. Is there another way to get the territories under my wing into the catholic sphere? Or am i stuck with Animist and Muslim provinces now?

I have chosen Holland and currently in the late 1400's i am roflowning Mali (those dirty pagans!) and i just noted that from all the territory i annexed from Songhai (8 provinces) i get 0 tax from any of them.

Is it normal that i don't get tax from those dirty pagans? and if so how do i fix it and get my precious ducats.
Yes. Those provinces are flagged as "Distant Overseas", because they're on a different continent to your capital and don't have a direct land connection. This applies a 90% penalty to their tax revenue, increases their stability cost, makes missionaries less effective, limits their trade good production to 1.0 units, and instead of normal production income, you get "tariffs" equal to 50% of the production income.

(Also, you have to worry about "tariff efficiency" - unless you have at least one big ship or light ship for each distant overseas province you own, you will not get the full tariff income from your distant overseas provinces.)

It's worth noting that most of the sub-Saharan provinces are only worth taking if you're already a blob (so don't care about their impact on your stability cost or tech cost because hey, what's one more province when you've already got 200?)

Also since my sliders are all the way to innovative i have 0 missionaries to send. Is there another way to get the territories under my wing into the catholic sphere? Or am i stuck with Animist and Muslim provinces now?
You could go and conquer the provinces of Judea and Mecca. (And Roma, if you decide to abandon popery once the Reformation starts.) Each of these gives 0.5 missionaries/year and 1 prestige/year (Roma only does so if you're not Catholic).

Yes. Those provinces are flagged as "Distant Overseas", because they're on a different continent to your capital and don't have a direct land connection. This applies a 90% penalty to their tax revenue, increases their stability cost, makes missionaries less effective, limits their trade good production to 1.0 units, and instead of normal production income, you get "tariffs" equal to 50% of the production income.

(Also, you have to worry about "tariff efficiency" - unless you have at least one big ship or light ship for each distant overseas province you own, you will not get the full tariff income from your distant overseas provinces.)

It's worth noting that most of the sub-Saharan provinces are only worth taking if you're already a blob (so don't care about their impact on your stability cost or tech cost because hey, what's one more province when you've already got 200?)

You could go and conquer the provinces of Judea and Mecca. (And Roma, if you decide to abandon popery once the Reformation starts.) Each of these gives 0.5 missionaries/year and 1 prestige/year (Roma only does so if you're not Catholic).

IS there also a way to get missionaries without having to throw my troops in territory that will either get me the ire of the muslim hordes or the seat of the mightiest man in the catholic world?

IS there also a way to get missionaries without having to throw my troops in territory that will either get me the ire of the muslim hordes or the seat of the mightiest man in the catholic world?
Only by taking religious decisions that you can only take when narrowminded.

The divine supremacy national idea gives 0.5 missionaries a year.
Which doesn't cut the mustard when you're five steps Innovative (-1.0 missionaries/year).

Act of uniformity +0.4 (and it doesn't require Narrowminded), plus the +0.20/0.25 bonus for state religion, plus the national idea, minus the full innovative malus:
+0.10/0.15 missionaries a year
(the test act and the popery act, if you're protestant, also gives you a +0.5 and +0.4 missionaries each, without innovative slider requirements)
(if you're Catholic, the counter-reformation gives you +0.2 missionaries)

Last edited:
Oops, I'd forgotten about Act of Uniformity. Thanks for the correction :)

Still, one missionary/decade isn't exactly going to make for efficient propagation of the word of the Lord...

Oops, I'd forgotten about Act of Uniformity. Thanks for the correction :)

Still, one missionary/decade isn't exactly going to make for efficient propagation of the word of the Lord...
If he's protestant/reformed, he can get up to +1 missionary a year. If he is catholic, he can get +0.35, and only during the reformation.

if you take all decisions and conquer Judea/Mecca/rome (depending on final religion), you can achieve 2-3 missionaries/year while being at -5 innovative ... a bit gamey though

In my current BUR (which is also my first try at EU3) game, I just revoked the privileges to form the HRE. The war that occurs afterwards poses no problem by itself, but the countries that attacked also left the HRE. Therefore, I have to vassalize or annex them which is disadvantegeous BBwise.
Is it possible to avoid or at least improve this? I already had zero BB and good relations with many member states (the reform passed immediately), but not with all of them, which also seems impossible. They are simply too many...

It is indeed possible, I just did it, it requires an awful lot of time and muuuch money, so it's often for the best to just save up 100 Authority, get good relations with every nation above 1 province, revoke privileges, let the opm's peace out andthen just renovate the empire

Can maybe someone try this out and tell me why I'm so terribly backwards?
It's my game as Ireland (1500) and for some reason I don't know, I'm way behind in tech. I didn't really mint, I even used a few slider moves to more research-friendly areas (free subjects), but it looks more like I'm in the same research group than poland instead than england...
Also, my income is somehow pretty bad. I've conquered nearly all of Sweden, inherited Bretagne, have Norway, Bohemia and a big Holstein in a PU, Silesia and Denmark as vassals, colonized Greenland and at the moment on my way to Canada. But if I just have 2 colonies at a time, my income is so small, I can't do anything other...

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/30185806/Irland1506_03_29.eu3