• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My mistake. Calabar is actually trading through Kongo (is it possible that it switched from Lubeck while I wasn't looking?). Hovering over my provinces says that we access 15% of the market of slaves, but that Lubeck only has a trading marketshare of 7%. I have a production market share of something like 27%.
This is the part I don't know: how they add up production and trade values

(EDIT: and apparently production alone won't give you the modifier)

If I release a vassal with lands which I have cores, do I get uncontested claims on it?

If I release a vassal with lands which I have cores, do I get uncontested claims on it?
Your cores owned by your vassals do not expire and do not cause prestige drain.

(However, if you want them back and it's been more than 50 years since you released them, you have to either diplo-annex them, or take the -3 stab hit for declaring war without cancelling the vassalization.)

Your cores owned by your vassals do not expire and do not cause prestige drain.

(However, if you want them back and it's been more than 50 years since you released them, you have to either diplo-annex them, or take the -3 stab hit for declaring war without cancelling the vassalization.)
touche learn something every day

Not sure if this is the place to ask but hey, i am asking it anyway.

What are some good (preferably smaller) nations to start out with when you are trying to learn the game?

I have decided to try to learn the game the correct way (without resorting to cheats) and i am trying to teach a mate of mine the game at the same time.

And personally i don't like to start with bigger nations because the scope will make me crazy :D

What are some good (preferably smaller) nations to start out with when you are trying to learn the game?

I have decided to try to learn the game the correct way (without resorting to cheats) and i am trying to teach a mate of mine the game at the same time.

And personally i don't like to start with bigger nations because the scope will make me crazy :D

Honestly, for learning the game I would always suggest Castille. Bigger nations = more room for error, and more things to work with. That's just a fact.

If you really want to try a smaller nation, I would say something like Denmark, Sweden, Brandenburg, the Teutonic Order or Holland.

Denmark/Sweden: Unite Scandinavia, trade, perhaps PU some north germans and pick a fight with the emperor.. then go colonial and establish an empire in America or Asia.

Brandenburg: Learn the Empire mechanics.. this one is very fun and rewarding. Start out by moving your army to Luxemburg, declare war and siege them then peace out (vassalize them) before the emperor finishes sieging your provinces. Now it's time to pick a fight with your neighbors in any way possible while avoiding the ire of Bohemia and Poland. Use any CB you can get, warn, ally (alliance CB will help a lot in the early game) -- the Conquer Pommeria mission is also excellent since it gives you a CB -- never, ever actually conquer Pommeria (you will get unlawful terrotory.. nasty stuff) but use the opportunity to vassalize all of Pommerns allies. Soon enough you will have a network of vassals in northern germany (if you did it correctly). Now sit back and wait, force Personal Unions on your vassals whenever you can, use core missions, establish your north german empire. It's not easy for a new player, but you really learn the alliance and Personal Union mechanics.

The Teutonic Order: Much the same as above, but you start out stronger and have other challenges (sweden/denmark, the golden horde and Russia, mainly).

Holland: Learn to trade.. become ultra rich, be opportunistic and eventually form the Netherlands. Then go colonial.

Last edited:
Is it enough to occupy all electors + emperor's capitals to disable HRE?

Can capitals defect from rebel occupation? I've got Edirne under Greek Patriot control and the Ottomans cut off with my boats.

I've had it happen as Byzantium. I was attending to other things while waiting for the truce to expire, and one day I noticed that Edirine was a part of my empire. Except for their cores there was no trace of the Ottomans. :cool:

deknegt said:

Portugal. ;)

Portugal. ;)
Just don't put your national focus in Beira like the AI does. (Seriously, the number of times Portugal has done that in my Castille games is ridiculous.)

im playing as France and destroying the world........have the take italy mission and have 1/3 of it occupied by owning one contry.....if i annex them do its provinces become cores and can i also conqour other italian contries after to do the same?

ZOMFG France declared war on me <_<. Anyway, at the time I was in a war with Maya (I think - the one in Central America), and even during the war I could just click 'Seize Colony' and take it instantly, without negotiations. I thought this only applied to colonies? These provinces had more than 1000 people???

ZOMFG France declared war on me <_<. Anyway, at the time I was in a war with Maya (I think - the one in Central America), and even during the war I could just click 'Seize Colony' and take it instantly, without negotiations. I thought this only applied to colonies? These provinces had more than 1000 people???
Yes, you can do that, but the AI will only do it in colonies.

im playing as France and destroying the world........have the take italy mission and have 1/3 of it occupied by owning one contry.....if i annex them do its provinces become cores and can i also conqour other italian contries after to do the same?

If you mean the Italian Ambition mission, as soon as you claim a province in the Italian region the mission will complete and it will core. If you gain several provinces on 1 day (like from a peace treaty) all will core. You can get 1/2 of Italy like this.

So I can use Seize Colonies on all Native American provinces?
TO be precise: all provinces belonging to countries whose state religion is Animism or Shamanism.

Remember, in each province you grab this way, to leave a couple of regiments behind and start building a fort if there isn't one there already.