• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aah, OK. I will lose 3 stability - not great since I'm currently suffering from overextension <_<. What are the benefits?

EDIT: Also, is annexing Mali worth the cost?
Yes, early on that gold will come in handy. What country are you playing with?

Holy War casus belli against all Heathens in the world, more magistrates (0.6 compared to the 0.4 of Feudal Monarchy), +0.25 moral of armies, and more favourable slider limits. All this assuming you're coming from Feudal Government.

And as an Empire you can go as low as -3 Centralisation without getting the RR, pretty useful I'd say. You also can go as high on Plutocracy as you want, for those juicy "gain a whole lot of money and 1 point aristocrazy"-events.

Yes, early on that gold will come in handy. What country are you playing with?

HRE in the 1540s.

Holy War casus belli against all Heathens in the world, more magistrates (0.6 compared to the 0.4 of Feudal Monarchy), +0.25 moral of armies, and more favourable slider limits. All this assuming you're coming from Feudal Government.

It's tempting, although it'll cost me several years to regain stability. Yeah, I am coming from Feudal Monarchy. The most useful thing there to me is slider limits - will the changes be significant?

EDIT: I've just hit the point where I can switch to Administrative Monarchy - smaller stability hit. Better option?

Last edited:
HRE in the 1540s.
Nevermind then. If you're already in the area or have a interest in the area, take it. Otherwise don't bother.

It's tempting, although it'll cost me several years to regain stability. Yeah, I am coming from Feudal Monarchy. The most useful thing there to me is slider limits - will the changes be significant?
The changes to the limits are great considering Feudal Monarchy, but if you aren't many techs away from Administrative Monarchy wait a couple of years and take that instead, if you aren't interested in the Holy War casus belli.

Nevermind then. If you're already in the area or have a interest in the area, take it. Otherwise don't bother.

The changes to the limits are great considering Feudal Monarchy, but if you aren't many techs away from Administrative Monarchy wait a couple of years and take that instead, if you aren't interested in the Holy War casus belli.

As Bohemia I started colonising West Africa with one eye on Mali - I have fought a war with them since and taken a few colonies; I was just wondering whether it was worth it to complete my conquest.

I have now unlocked Administrative Monarchy; are the benefits in terms of slider limits the same/better compared to Empire?

As Bohemia I started colonising West Africa with one eye on Mali - I have fought a war with them since and taken a few colonies; I was just wondering whether it was worth it to complete my conquest.
Since you're in the area, take all good provinces from them.

I have now unlocked Administrative Monarchy; are the benefits in terms of slider limits the same/better compared to Empire?
Sliders, better (centralisation is still at -3, but Free Subjects has no limits). And you also have +10% production efficiency, and 1 magistrate per year.

Since you're in the area, take all good provinces from them.

Sliders, better (centralisation is still at -3, but Free Subjects has no limits). And you also have +10% production efficiency, and 1 magistrate per year.

Thanks! Changing government on top of switching a NI to get Colonial Ventures has hit me hard stability wise (from +3 to -2), and I'm worrying if this is connected to the fact that I've had something like five colonisation attempts in a row fail? This is at stability -2 (and one at -1). The official colonisation chance is in the 60s and 70s. (It's just happened again twice more...)

Last edited:
Thanks! Changing government on top of switching a NI to get Colonial Ventures has hit me hard stability wise (from +3 to -2), and I'm worrying if this is connected to the fact that I've had something like five colonisation attempts in a row fail? This is at stability -2 (and one at -1). The official colonisation chance is in the 60s and 70s. (It's just happened again twice more...)
I think it does influence the success rate, but you can see what affects it by hovering with the mouse on top of the success rate, if I remember correctly.

Are you trying to colonise tropical provinces and/or with natives?

In which case it was seriously bad luck.

While I'm at it, any other lucrative areas in Africa to invade while I colonise the Caribbean/build up my stability? Morocco? How about in South Africa?

Thanks,
Wasila

In which case it was seriously bad luck.
While I'm at it, any other lucrative areas in Africa to invade while I colonise the Caribbean/build up my stability? Morocco? How about in South Africa?

Thanks,
Wasila
South Africa is good if you want to go East eventually. Otherwise I like to get some slave provinces to have the +25% tariffs modifier. Even though they'll seem poor at start, they will quickly become very valuable as more and more regions are colonised.

South Africa is good if you want to go East eventually. Otherwise I like to get some slave provinces to have the +25% tariffs modifier. Even though they'll seem poor at start, they will quickly become very valuable as more and more regions are colonised.

Till abolition where they either plumment in value or are changed to grain. And you need to control 33% of all slave trade in the world to get the 25% bonus modifier.

Till abolition where they either plumment in value or are changed to grain. And you need to control 33% of all slave trade in the world to get the 25% bonus modifier.
One third of the slave production = Benin area (Benin, Oyo and Hausa) And maybe another one province.
And if he intends on having lots of colonial goods, all he has to do is never to enact that decisions (which only comes up much two centuries after anyway).

Howdy fellow internet denizens!

Maybe my search skills are lacking, but I couldn't find a satisfying answer to what buildings are worth building in overseas provinces (i.e. those giving "tariffs")? I'm playing my first "colonial" game and buildings doesn't seem to do much for the income in those provinces. (And I know about the 1 ship/overseas province thingy).

One third of the slave production = Benin area (Benin, Oyo and Hausa) And maybe another one province.
And if he intends on having lots of colonial goods, all he has to do is never to enact that decisions (which only comes up much two centuries after anyway).

Hmm... sounds interesting. Unfortunately Britain got to Benin first, but they only own the actual province Benin - I'll go explore around there. In my game at least Benin produces Ivory and Oyo produces Grain??

Hmm... sounds interesting. Unfortunately Britain got to Benin first, but they only own the actual province Benin - I'll go explore around there. In my game at least Benin produces Ivory and Oyo produces Grain??
Yes, you're right. It's Bonny and Calabar - just before African colonisation, those two provinces accounted for almost a third of the world production of slaves. Anyway, be aware that if someone else that holds the majority of colonies passes that decision latter on, slaves will be worthless again.

I already have 10% of production from elsewhere, so I think that I could get 33% production by taking their provinces. It sounds like I need to have 33% trading to dominate? I'm not much of a trading power...

Aren't slaves fairly worthwhile by themselves, or not?