• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You always want 4 units of cavalry, because they can flank 2 rows

Example of battlelines in a 10 inf 6 cav vs 5 inf engagement -- only the front row can fight at once.

Code:
    CAV INF INF INF INF INF CAV
CAV CAV INF INF INF INF INF CAV CAV 
                 vs
        INF INF INF INF INF

*Edited for clarification

It can be valuable to add another 1 or 2 cav in case you lose some, to keep them reinforced..

what is overseas income exactly, when you have modifiers increasing your overseas income does that only increase the tax value of your overseas provinces or is it tariffs aswell?

what is overseas income exactly, when you have modifiers increasing your overseas income does that only increase the tax value of your overseas provinces or is it tariffs aswell?
Only tax in overseas provinces. Modifiers that increase tariffs use the term "tariff" or "tariff efficiency".

How should I mix infantry and cavalry with artillery?
Thanks. And what about cavalry? I usually have 4 regiments per army, is it enough? Or should I don't even use them?
Early game, Cavalry rules the field, so build armies from 2:3 blocks. Except if HRE, then 1:3 and more inf. Offensive slider helps either way.

Middle game, have a big Infantry core, almost as much arty, and 2-4 cav. for flanking. A minor Inf. surplus is needed so that you don't lose the Mixed arms bonus.
Late game, 30-few K inf and 30K art. OR 50 art 10 inf, and watch your enemies die in fire... the first three days of battle. Defensive slider makes arty cheaper, so it helps a lot.

I'm playing as GB in DW 5.1 and saw that my army is larger than the rest of the top ten combined so I let my infamy get over the limit (first time). After about 5 over I get a province rebels event and I've gotten one about every two months for the past year (it's 1771 now). It's not really a problem as they're only 4-6 stacks but is this normal? It only started once my infamy went over.

I'm playing as GB in DW 5.1 and saw that my army is larger than the rest of the top ten combined so I let my infamy get over the limit (first time). After about 5 over I get a province rebels event and I've gotten one about every two months for the past year (it's 1771 now). It's not really a problem as they're only 4-6 stacks but is this normal? It only started once my infamy went over.
Yes, and it will get worse.

You always want 4 units of cavalry, because they can flank 2 rows

Example of battlelines in a 10 inf 6 cav vs 5 inf engagement -- only the front row can fight at once.

Code:
    CAV INF INF INF INF INF CAV
CAV CAV INF INF INF INF INF CAV CAV 
                 vs
        INF INF INF INF INF

*Edited for clarification

It can be valuable to add another 1 or 2 cav in case you lose some, to keep them reinforced..

Infantry can also do flanking for the first connected spot. So a 2 Cav +8 Inf vs. a 6 Inf is just as good as a 4 Cav + 6 Inf vs. 6 Inf. Both stacks end up with 4 flanking units. Of course Cav early on does more damage but come mid to late game infantry end up doing more damage.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?530302-A-limited-analysis-of-EU3-units
Is a pretty good depiction of Art/Inf vs. Cav and produces really surprising results, namely that cavalry is more deadly than Inf/Art for every Area of the Game except 1700-1798, if I understand the thread correctly.

EDIT:
A further post (#22) says this about calvary vs. infantry.

Bad news everybody. It looks like my analysis is fatally flawed. Take a look at this:

(go to link and post 22 to see actual graph)

In this graph you can see the damage cavalry does against infantry of equal tech level (red line) and the damage the infantry does against the same cavalry (blue line). Again, all Western units.

According to this, between tech 11 and 21 infantry does more damage to cavalry than vice versa. The same for level 34-35 and 43-51. And up until tech level 22, they do roughly the same amounts of damage to each other.

That can't be right. Remember, this is without terrain modifiers, the optimal situation for cavalry. This is ridiculous.

So basically it's back to the drawing board . Personally I think the culprit is reducing the die roll to its average value, because of the floor and ceiling effects in the casualties formula. But perhaps I made a mistake with the other assumptions, or the combat formula isn't correct in some way, or something else...

Also, they then discuss morale losses where the calvary would flee before the infantry. The infantry might have taken more MP losses but as we all know a unit with zero morale in the next fight has a much better chance of completely being destroyed.

Last edited:
So is it higher infamy = more revolts? My infamy peaked at 65 and the revolts are about 1-2 times a month now. So reducing my infamy will reduce the revolts?

When you get under 200% of your Infamy-Limit the time between revolts should be decreased by 75%, If I read the file right. (It mentions a modifier of 0.25 for having twice your BB Limit).
And jju_57: No need to be that condescending, cut me some slack, it's been nearly 5 months that this thread has been around and I mentioned that it could be that I interpreted the thread the wrong way, anyway, I am sorry for not reading the thread in it's entirety.

And jju_57: No need to be that condescending, cut me some slack, it's been nearly 5 months that this thread has been around and I mentioned that it could be that I interpreted the thread the wrong way, anyway, I am sorry for not reading the thread in it's entirety.

Yea you're right. Sorry for comming off that way.

Does nobody bother with the tactics bonus? Maybe I've been overestimating the modifier, but I don't think any of the army builds you recommend would qualify (since you need 60% more infantry than cavalry).

How good is the idea +20% global colonial growth for someone like portugal and what exactly does it do?

How good is the idea +20% global colonial growth for someone like portugal and what exactly does it do?
The idea is great for Portugal. Basically it ensures a colony will be full grown in 9 years if on standard climate, etc. OR will allow you to set your colonial maintenance slider to 70% (the bonus of the idea is 33%) without any damages, but saving you lots of money. Either way it's a money maker to major colonial power.

The idea is great for Portugal. Basically it ensures a colony will be full grown in 9 years if on standard climate, etc. OR will allow you to set your colonial maintenance slider to 70% (the bonus of the idea is 33%) without any damages, but saving you lots of money. Either way it's a money maker to major colonial power.

Does it lose the effect once it becomes a self-sustaining colony or does it still have the 33% population growth once it's self-sustaining

Does nobody bother with the tactics bonus? Maybe I've been overestimating the modifier, but I don't think any of the army builds you recommend would qualify (since you need 60% more infantry than cavalry).

Actually that is not correct. For the western/latin group you just need 1 more infantry unit than calvary. For the nomad/hordes it goes as low as a single infantry for unlimited calvary. You can easily verify this by looking at your stack. If the caalvary is red you are not getting the modifier. Otherwise you are.

And the modifier doesn't have an impact till LT 18 when it hits two if I recall correctly.

And the modifier doesn't have an impact till LT 18 when it hits two if I recall correctly.
It has an impact starting at land tech 3. It's just not very big.

I think the formula is something along the lines of :
Casualities =(unmodified casualties/1+Military Tactics), so a tactics of 1 would reduce your loses by 50%, but I could be remembering the formula for Victoria 2.