• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So I have a large Spainish Colonial Empire... Which unfortunately comes with bloody pirates...

To offset this I have just finished constructing 16 squadrons of 6 Ships each for patrol/anti-piracy role...

I have spread these squadrons out around all my coats (I have a lot of coasts) and have set their patrol patterns...

Now my question is... Is there a way to make them automatically stay in port to repair every so often, since they are fighting Pirates like at least once or twice per patrol rotation and I suspect if I just leave them that eventually they will start losing to the Pirates...

In their patrol routes I make them go into two ports (at the extremes of their patrols) however on autopatrol the game just puts them in there for a second before coming out and I doubt it repairs them even a little bit...

Any ideas? Help?

Last edited:
Your ships don't need to actually to patrol to keep the lanes clear of piracy. If you keep a single ship inside of a port, it will count as patrolling the sea zone that the port is in as well as every bordering sea zone. This prevents pirates from appearing there.

But to answer your question, you can't tell a a fleet on a patrol to wait in a port for repairs. The very last naval idea lets ships repair in sea zones that border land though.

Remind me again but isn't there a National Idea that stops your provinces from converting from your state religion to another one? I'm sure that I read somewhere there was one of them that did this as a secondary bonus but don't have the game at hand to check. I don't suppose it works for your vassals as well? Probably asking a bit too much for that though. :)

Your ships don't need to actually to patrol to keep the lanes clear of piracy. If you keep a single ship inside of a port, it will count as patrolling the sea zone that the port is in as well as every bordering sea zone. This prevents pirates from appearing there.

But to answer your question, you can't tell a a fleet on a patrol to wait in a port for repairs. The very last naval idea lets ships repair in sea zones that border land though.

Ah so your saying if I just put 1 ship in every forth port that no pirates will appear at all?

If so that covers the Pirate thing quite well (and is do able lol)... However the second reason I like to actively patrol is that if I end up in a war my ships are actively protecting my coast already meaning that they will battle off any invaders or enemy fleets...

Last edited:
Remind me again but isn't there a National Idea that stops your provinces from converting from your state religion to another one?
No. Each of Church Attendance Duty, Divine Supremacy, and Unam Sanctum (previously Deus Vult) halves the chance of the Spread of Protestantism/Calvinism events from happening, but even having all three won't stop it.

Oh i have another question! I remember reading here once that if you are a western nation, like Portugal for instance, and you take Provinces in say north Africa from Morocco or someone, that you get a research PENALTY for taking said provinces because they neighbor a crappy tech group?

Oh i have another question! I remember reading here once that if you are a western nation, like Portugal for instance, and you take Provinces in say north Africa from Morocco or someone, that you get a research PENALTY for taking said provinces because they neighbor a crappy tech group?

You must have misunderstood the reasons. The reason you get worse research is the following: Every province you own increases your tech-cost by a certain amount, if the province you take is particularly poor, like the big north african provinces are the benefits of owning these wrong cultured wrong religion provinces are not enough to offset the higher tech costs, so your research will be slower.

You must have misunderstood the reasons. The reason you get worse research is the following: Every province you own increases your tech-cost by a certain amount, if the province you take is particularly poor, like the big north african provinces are the benefits of owning these wrong cultured wrong religion provinces are not enough to offset the higher tech costs, so your research will be slower.

oh ok. so If im going to take a province, then it better at least be a semi rich one. thx!

Ah this explains it all haha, I wondered why my massive colonial empire with yearly income literally 5 or so times more than the next nation was still trailing in tech to lots and lots of nations...

Follow up question on this point -- are culture and religion the only things that affect tech rate, or does base tax also factor into it? For example, imagining a culture shift and conversion in one of the north african provinces, would that no longer be a burden on research?

Follow up question on this point -- are culture and religion the only things that affect tech rate, or does base tax also factor into it? For example, imagining a culture shift and conversion in one of the north african provinces, would that no longer be a burden on research?
Tech-costs are based on (among ideas, slider settings, being Defender of the Faith and others) the number of provinces. The more provinces you have, the higher your tech costs. Having wrong cultured- or wrong religion-provinces does not increase tech-costs. Right cultural and religious provinces increase the tax-income of a province. Having a wrong-culture, wrong-religion-province comes with nasty provincial tax-penalties (and therefore slightly less monthly investments in research). So yes, cultural switches do help your teching, but only through the loss of the tax-penalty associated with the previously wrong-cultured province. Not through diminishing tech-costs.

Higher base-tax plays exactly the same role: it increases the revenues of a province, and therefore helps teching. But having a high base-tax province doesn't increase the tech-costs more than having a low-base-tax-province. So if you have the option to choose between two provinces (and they both produce similar goods, are equally defendable, have the same religion and come with the same cultural tax-penalty), you should go for the province with the higher base-tax.

Cultural and religious switches do result in lower stability costs though.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't a country move it's capital if it's completely surrounded with provinces of another nation? To wit: I formed Germany and took Austria's German provinces (they're more of a Balkans power now) except for Wien, which for the past 20 years has remained their capital. How can I take that province without having the annex their entire empire?

Why wouldn't a country move it's capital if it's completely surrounded with provinces of another nation? To wit: I formed Germany and took Austria's German provinces (they're more of a Balkans power now) except for Wien, which for the past 20 years has remained their capital. How can I take that province without having the annex their entire empire?

Actually, if it's totally surrounded, you ought to be able to take it.

if you own all the provinces surrounding the capital it will move.

They won't move the capital if they can't get the cash or the stability in order to do it. But as Avindian said, if it is totally cut off, you can take it. It'll be the only thing you're allowed to take, but you'll be allowed to take it.

A full-screen pic loaded up as their nation might be helpful, though.

They won't move the capital if they can't get the cash or the stability in order to do it. But as Avindian said, if it is totally cut off, you can take it. It'll be the only thing you're allowed to take, but you'll be allowed to take it.

A full-screen pic loaded up as their nation might be helpful, though.

Just checked each of my saved games, and they've been at negative stability and <1000 ducats for quite a while so I suppose it's possible they've been like that for a while. I'm disappointed but I will suck it up and go through two wars with them if necessary. Thanks for your help guys.

I'm playing Hindustan at year 1650 and I noticed that when I'm at war my WE is nearly 0.60/month.
Also with other nations I played I had the same problem.
The stange thing is that with the same nation (France, Great Britain or Austria) sometimes I have not this problem and the game is more playable.
My qyestion is:
how it's calculated WE?
how I can reduce attrition of my troops?
Is there a way to have a WE of 0.20-0.30/month instead of 0.50-0.60?
(PS: I don't raise war taxes)

Hold your mouse over the WE number and it will give you a breakdown of the causes. It's almost certainly attrition caused by having too many troops in a province. The solution is to spread out your armies except when actually fighting a battle. And never siege with more than 2-3k (unless it's very late game and you have massive artillery stacks for the siege bonus).

WE is increased by:

Having your homeland's provinces blockaded
Having same continent core provinces occupied by another country
Armies suffering from attrition

If I had to guess I'd say you're fighting in transoxiana and the himalayas during winter. Just reduce the total number of troops fighting abroad.