• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I guess it might be because you are orthodox and someone has conquered Ethiopia (also Orthodox) causing religious rebels to appear and defect to the closest Orthodox country which happens to be Byzantium.

About 1/30 of the time when I annex a power, I can't release them back, even when their capitals aren't moved or anything strange happening to them, they just don't show up on the release screen, why?

About 1/30 of the time when I annex a power, I can't release them back, even when their capitals aren't moved or anything strange happening to them, they just don't show up on the release screen, why?
Because they don't have core on any provinces of their national primary culture. The most likely culprits here are the Lombardo-Grecian minors (Lombard national culture, Greek provincial culture) and Riga (Prussian national culture, Latvian provincial culture).

No... that's not that either. I annex Benin and didn't convert any of their provinces but I can't release them, and Brazil had an event that gave cores entirely within my borders and I can't release them, even though I can release Mexico and Columbia.

Brazil had an event that gave cores entirely within my borders and I can't release them, even though I can release Mexico and Columbia.
Brazil's national culture is Portugese. Mexico and Colombia's is Castilian.

Playing EU3 Complete the Establish Habsburg Dominance decision which gives you +3 to your Diplomatic Skill, is this counted when you want to implement a decision like the Statute in Restraint of Appeals which requires you have a Diplomatic Skill of less than 7 or not? If after taking the Dominance decision will I have to wait for a Monarch with a Diplomatic Skill of 3 (+3) to stay under the limit to then pass the Statute, or does it just count your base Diplomatic Skill?

Other question about the Establish Habsburg Dominance bonus, is this able to take your Diplomatic Skill above 9 or does it not count above that? I know that 9 is the natural limit for a Monarchs skills so if I have a Monarch with a base Diplomacy Skill of 7 and the Dominance decision will the game treat this as a Diplomatic Skill of 10 or is 9 a hard cap? I'm trying to work out whether taking this and hiring advisors that can boost my Diplomatic Skill will work or not as a tactic of annexing by marriage. Thanks.

The Caesar or Alexander heir naming event, what does it do? Caesar have higher odds for administrative while Alexander have higher odds for military?

Digging in the events file I found it. Really only 5 for adm or mil, seems like kind of a junky event. I mean a 6/5/5 heir. I guess it could be worse.

Last edited:
How do Dynastys work? And what do they mean?

In my spainish game, Great Britain is the same Dynasty as me? What does this mean/do? Do I get any benefits/disadvantages?

Last edited:
A lucky country gets the following bonuses (from static_modifiers.txt, version 4.1b):

Parameter Value
Merchant Compete Chance +10%
Colonist Placement Chance +10%
Missionary Yearly Success Chance +1.5%
Leader Fire 1
Leader Shock 1
Government Tech Cost Modifier -2%
Land Tech Cost Modifier -2%
Naval Tech Cost Modifier -2%
Production Tech Cost Modifier -2%
Trade Tech Cost Modifier -2%
Spy Efficiency +5%
Stability Cost Modifier -50%

Random lucky nations are semi-random, and skewed towards larger nations. The most often occurring nations are (in sorted order)

Byzantine Empire
France
Burgundy
Castile
Lithuania
Mamluks
Teutonic Order
Hungary
Austria
Milan
Timurid Empire
Bohemia
England
Sweden
Ottoman Empire
Aragon
The Byzantine empire stands out and is chosen about 80% of the times

This was from the Wiki

A lucky country gets the following bonuses (from static_modifiers.txt, version 4.1b):

Parameter Value
Merchant Compete Chance +10%
Colonist Placement Chance +10%
Missionary Yearly Success Chance +1.5%
Leader Fire 1
Leader Shock 1
Government Tech Cost Modifier -2%
Land Tech Cost Modifier -2%
Naval Tech Cost Modifier -2%
Production Tech Cost Modifier -2%
Trade Tech Cost Modifier -2%
Spy Efficiency +5%
Stability Cost Modifier -50%

Random lucky nations are semi-random, and skewed towards larger nations. The most often occurring nations are (in sorted order)

Byzantine Empire
France
Burgundy
Castile
Lithuania
Mamluks
Teutonic Order
Hungary
Austria
Milan
Timurid Empire
Bohemia
England
Sweden
Ottoman Empire
Aragon
The Byzantine empire stands out and is chosen about 80% of the times

This was from the Wiki

Oh wow. Thx for the answer!

Also, Lucky nations are much less likely to have certain bad events happen.

Playing EU3 Complete the Establish Habsburg Dominance decision which gives you +3 to your Diplomatic Skill, is this counted when you want to implement a decision like the Statute in Restraint of Appeals which requires you have a Diplomatic Skill of less than 7 or not? If after taking the Dominance decision will I have to wait for a Monarch with a Diplomatic Skill of 3 (+3) to stay under the limit to then pass the Statute, or does it just count your base Diplomatic Skill?

Other question about the Establish Habsburg Dominance bonus, is this able to take your Diplomatic Skill above 9 or does it not count above that? I know that 9 is the natural limit for a Monarchs skills so if I have a Monarch with a base Diplomacy Skill of 7 and the Dominance decision will the game treat this as a Diplomatic Skill of 10 or is 9 a hard cap? I'm trying to work out whether taking this and hiring advisors that can boost my Diplomatic Skill will work or not as a tactic of annexing by marriage. Thanks.

If a decision says it requires X Diplomacy, then it needs to be the ruler's unmodified stat, but your modified diplomatic skill can be much higher than 9 for the purposes of doing diplomatic actions / HRE elector influence / passing reforms. Every nation in your sphere of influence gives you a bonus to your diplomatic skill, too. Habsburg Dominance + spheres can take you over 20 diplomacy easily.