• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No Cbs on hordes and vice versa.

Crap. Then how do I attack them without losing stability? They attacked me once 40 years ago but I bought them off (giving them tribute each month) because they were really small and I was wondering if they could beat their big neighbour Spain if I gave them monetary aid. But ever since we haven't been at war with each other anymore, despite me bordering every one of their provinces.

Crap. Then how do I attack them without losing stability? They attacked me once 40 years ago but I bought them off (giving them tribute each month) because they were really small and I was wondering if they could beat their big neighbour Spain if I gave them monetary aid. But ever since we haven't been at war with each other anymore, despite me bordering every one of their provinces.

Can't you cancel tribute? That would cause you to get the 'horde at our borders' message, together with a war between you and the horde.

Do ships upgrade automatically or is it necessary to scrap every ship and rebuild it to have the newest fleet?

Do not scrap any ships, except galleys to build a better class like big ships. They are still useful late into the game. Just mix them up in your fleets or create one or two doomstacks like the AI does.

a question regarding succession wars: i just declared war on naples, who is allied with austria (the emperor) and milan. lucky me, naples was the war leader, so i quickly was able to end the war with my 9000 troops. it would have been extremely difficult against milan and probably impossible against the emperor, so i wanted to know if it was luck or if its always the subject of a disputed succession itself that leads the war.

btw, naples was bankrupt and had only 4 southern italian provinces :rolleyes:

many thanks in advance!

Why do I sometimes lose some merchants in CoTs !?
Because when a CoT runs out of merchant slots (you can see how many are left in the CoT itself or the CoT page of the ledger) then Merchants can only get placed if they kick out another.
And as the AI keeps sending merchants (just like you), sometimes they kick off one of yours.

1) If you open the log, you'll see a message 'We competed for trade in XYZ and lost a merchant. We now have # merchants there.'
2) You can make your merchants stick more by adopting Shrewd commerce practice National Idea, and moving sliders towards:
  • Free trade if you want to trade outside your borders (i.e. small)
  • Mercantilism if you want to trade inside your borders (i.e. freaking huge)
There are also a handful of decisions which improve compete chance, like East Indies rtading company.
Having a high Trade Efficiency (+10% for National trade policy idea) helps compete chance a little, and income by a lot.

What's the event ID for the revolution event? I wanna try screwing around with it :D

EDIT: Okay, I found the event ID's and i'm firing them. How do I get to revolutionary republic with the awesome sliders and whatnot?

Last edited:

As an aside: If you're being a bad boy, conquer yourself a CoT. The penalties for Infamy and ownership of uncored CoTs don't affect your compete chance in CoTs you own :)

knew that. was an early bavaria game i didn't have the chance to get my hands on a CoT yet. i have an eye on lübeck though ...still can't believe it is portrayed as one of the wealthiest places on earth in the game, was there myself a few weeks ago. ^^

thanks for extra advice anyway

Personal Unions? How do you get them? How do they work? What do you do? lol

I see people on here talking about them all the time, how they "PU'd this dude, then PU'd this guy" and what not... How does it happen? What do you have to do? And what happens when you get one lol?

Personal Unions? How do you get them? How do they work? What do you do? lol

I see people on here talking about them all the time, how they "PU'd this dude, then PU'd this guy" and what not... How does it happen? What do you have to do? And what happens when you get one lol?
Best way of all: Get lucky and have someone you had a royal marriage with lose their ruler while they have no heir and you have high prestige, legitimacy, and relations with that country.

Awkward, inconvenient way: Have a royal marriage with a country that has no heir, or an heir with a weak claim. Use the Claim Throne diplomacy action, trashing your relations with every country you have a royal marriage with. Then either wait and pray they don't spawn a new heir, or declare war using the Claim on Throne CB and force the union.

Best reliable way: Open the first page of the ledger. Find a country in your religion group with low legitimacy. Use spies to Fabricate Claims, then declare war using the Obscure Documents CB and force the union.

Once you've got a personal union with a country, as long as your relations with them are positive you have a chance (depending on various factors including a heavy weighting on Trust) of inheriting them every time your ruler dies. While in a PU (whether as junior or senior partner) a country cannot change to a non-monarchic form of government. Additionally, any country you have a PU with will always accept your offer of Alliance, and will always honor its alliance with you.

Also note that Noble Republics, while they can have royal marriages, can't have PUs.

Why is good's Trade Value differe in every other province ? how to increase it ?? I have some provinces which give me double production money than other same good provinces because they had double trade value ?

Ah... So you dont get to control the country yet? Thats after inheriting... That was one of my main questions...

So basically just royal marriage everyone and it happens if your lucky, unless you do the war option... Do you get infamy for forcing a union?

What is the best way to construct armies? How many of each kind of force does an army need to be successful in any given duty?

What is the best way to construct armies? How many of each kind of force does an army need to be successful in any given duty?

Im certainly not a vetran player... But for the most part... I do groups of 8k inf, 6k cav and 2k art which I call Division... They seem to work well for me, reasonably fast moving and can seige and assualt a fortress (up to lvl 2) pretty easily which allows for quick campaigns... Combine them to take on larger stacks but march divided for less attrition etc...

On top of that I have Brigades which are 3k Inf and 2k Cav which I used for Rebel stomping...

And for major wars I sometimes use "Armies" which are 20k inf 10k cav and 5k art... Which I find can stomp anything, but if you campaign too long with them they start to get pretty low due to attrition... But they are excellent for the openning stages of the war to knock out the enemy army...

Why is good's Trade Value differe in every other province ? how to increase it ?? I have some provinces which give me double production money than other same good provinces because they had double trade value ?
Population also has a role. And trade buildings can increase the trade value as well for the province they're in.