• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What is the easiest way to gain a core?
Easiest? Own the province for 50 years.

Anything else requires dumb luck or a good understanding of the game.

How do I leave the HRE? Playing as Holland, want to get out so I can keep Friesland and Utrech.

Province decision on your capital. Requires negative relations with emperor. Removes you from HRE and lowers your relation with the emperor by -200.

Thanks a lot. Stick it up yer jumper, Austria.

EDIT: On closer inspection, it doesn't seem to be coming up... -105 relations with Austria, 5 magistrates... What else could I be missing?

Last edited:
Now we're cooking with charcoal.

However, it now emerges that I will lose Friesland and Utrecht if I do quit. Is there any way round this?
If you've got them, wait for them to core. Austria is relatively unlikely to actually use the Imperial Liberation CB it gets against you when you decline the Formal Request, Holland can eat two -1 stab hits without even blinking (even after expanding to four provinces), and once they're cored you become the Netherlands and you're laughing.

First post so forgive me if this has already been asked.

Do AI nations have "bad" random events happen to them as well? I hardly ever see AI nations drop below 3 stability so im curious.
Yes, they do. You can see some warning from time to time (like Time of Troubles), and a small notice on that info screen on the bottom.

Well, sure, if both human players are unreasonable morons who keep throwing away troops/ships to keep the war alive (wars end automatically after five years with no battles or sieges) and are willing to put up with half of Europe DoWing them every five years because they're (a) at war and (b) pinned to the WE cap (England by having an owned core occupied, the Franks by being blockaded).
doesn't the war stay alive by patriot rebels?
the high occupation revolt risk should be enough to keep the war going if france keeps a stack there.
Also; in my songhai game vs britain; whenever they aren't at war with otehr people, they're gettign their WE to go down even with my occupying several of their cored african provinces; so i'm pretty sure a blockade on some of northern france could be done, and gascogne occupied with both parties staying at 0 WE.
I know in songhai i'm down to 0 WE even with half of africa blockaded, and theirs is declining, so it sounds really quite feasible for neither side to budge.

another question: is there any penalty/risk to having lots of royal marriages? I'm playing an OPM trying to inherit, and i'm up to 42 royal marriages (how many relatives do i have?);
from what i can see of the system, ther's no reason not to marry everyone who's willing for relations and inheritance chances.

another question: is there any penalty/risk to having lots of royal marriages? I'm playing an OPM trying to inherit, and i'm up to 42 royal marriages (how many relatives do i have?);
from what i can see of the system, ther's no reason not to marry everyone who's willing for relations and inheritance chances.

Provided that you have high prestige...

If you decide to claim a throne, you'll have a lot of unhappy people on your hands.

do you loose a certain amount of prestige when you claim a throne?

Is it worth it to accept a trade rights treaty offered to me by an AI merchant republic? I'm already a member of their league, so I'm not even sure if they get anything out of this. The question is, do I?