• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When sponsoring Patriot/Nationalist rebels in a province that has the owners, mine & another nations core on it, is the nation the rebels fight for random? Because i've had a few times sponsoring patriots/nationalits on a province with my core & another non-owned core, only for them to fight for another country?

Im pretty sure it is random. Sometimes it is better to choose cultural rebels if there are foreign cores of different culture.

Strange, tried the tooltip and got no information. Thanks.
Also, is it based on the trade value? Does production bonus help it?

Try to position it over the numbers part, also u had to do it in colony only (i.e. province with Tariff only income)
Anyway, here you got more info on tariffs.

Tariffs are based on what?

Theyre based mostly on that province's trade good price - more valuable trade good more traiffs you get, but other stuff like base_tax also affext it, i suppose some other things too, but we cant really see the math behind it.

When sponsoring Patriot/Nationalist rebels in a province that has the owners, mine & another nations core on it, is the nation the rebels fight for random? Because i've had a few times sponsoring patriots/nationalits on a province with my core & another non-owned core, only for them to fight for another country?

Every culture has ONE single tag (or country) it considers "primary", and it will most likely defect to it. However, if you are that country, and you dont have a core on some province of your culture, but some other country (of same primary culture) does, i *think* rebels will still defect to them instead of you.

Theyre based mostly on that province's trade good price - more valuable trade good more traiffs you get, but other stuff like base_tax also affext it, i suppose some other things too, but we cant really see the math behind it.

Thanks.

Try to position it over the numbers part, also u had to do it in colony only (i.e. province with Tariff only income)
Anyway, here you got more info on tariffs.

Thanks again, but your link is blank.

How do i get the tariffs to 100 % .. i have 95 ships protecting 133 colonis .. .. how do i make it 100% i don't know where the sealanes are ..

got it ..

Sea-lane Efficiency = Sum of Big and Light ships in your fleets / Number of overseas provinces

transport aren't included .. so i just need to build some more ships .. right ?

Last edited:
How do i get the tariffs to 100 % .. i have 95 ships protecting 133 colonis .. .. how do i make it 100% i don't know where the sealanes are ..

Just build more ships. If it says you only have 95 ships and need 133, then build ships until you get 133. You can put the ships where ever you want it doens't matter
Just make sure the ships are big ships or frigates. Frigates are cheaper so I recommend those

In Divine Wind, is it possible to add a nation to the HRE if I'm the Emperor? I think I remember you just needed good relations with a nation neighboring a HRE province in HTTT and it would popup as an event.

Can anyone help me with this question from page 1?

Ok, i know this is probably a really dumb question but... how do you connect to paradox entertainment in-game?

Forget it, figured it out, I am REALLY dumb.

I wouldn't say that, just new. I take it you noticed the Paradox icon in the lower right corner in the main menu now :)

they called something else ingame i think patriots, but they ally according to culture actually, as it says in description too. the other ones tend to create independet states.
sorry, i dont use espionage much and was writing from memory, so please excuse my lack of exaction :)

In Divine Wind, is it possible to add a nation to the HRE if I'm the Emperor? I think I remember you just needed good relations with a nation neighboring a HRE province in HTTT and it would popup as an event.

In DW the joining event has been written so that the AI will never add their provinces to HRE if player is the Emperor.

Nationalist rebels will never work for anyone but themselves, so if you meant those specifically there is nothing strange with that. About patriots I don't really know, I thought they were supposed to work for the sponsoring country if that country is the right culture but I can't say for sure..

Related question though. How does defection with religious rebels work? I tried in a game some time ago to sponsor a lot with religious rebels and they showed up with my flag but they never defected to me.. Sometimes they just broke the country and sometimes they even defected to some other country with my religion. :eek:

I'm playing Naples and I funded patriots in Corfu (independent from Venice now), but they didn't defect after the siege was over. Is this because my culture is different?

Record Man

In a multiplayer game as Great Britain (1460ish), I have taken an interest in nabbing the Aegean area. I slowly vassilized Morea and Athens, then took Rhodes and Cyprus in a quick war. I dropped patriots in a Venician controlled Naxos. It took six months, but I noticed that I had a new province, and BAM Naxos was mine. I made it a vassal and moved my new 1st Freedom Fighters army to Morea.
There are some things to look for when you want a province to rebel to you:
If the nation is not in a war, they will sometimes bow down to the demands of the rebels. So make sure the nation is preoccupied with warfare.

OK, you spurred my interest in rebels now.
I checked game files, and as far as i understand:
- rebel types got defection flag specifying: which countries it can defect to
- rebel types got defect_delay flag specifying: after how many months the held provinces will auto-defect after 36 months, regardless of accept/enforce demands.
- rebel types got independence flag specifying: whether or not they will seek independence
Plus bunch of others attributes not so relevant to discussion.
- most rebels got auto-defect at 36 months, some at 120 months.

Nationalist rebels. Freedom!!!
- should try to join same province spawn cultural country TAG, if none correct available, it wont defect at all.
- should declare independence after 36 months

Patriots, yearning for a return to their mother nation.
- will defect to countries of their culture, or, failing that, their culture group.
- auto-defect after 36 months
- wont seek independence

they called something else ingame i think patriots, but they ally according to culture actually, as it says in description too. the other ones tend to create independet states.

Ah ok, i'll check the culture of the province next time I try with Patriot Rebels.

Related question though. How does defection with religious rebels work? I tried in a game some time ago to sponsor a lot with religious rebels and they showed up with my flag but they never defected to me. Sometimes they just broke the country and sometimes they even defected to some other country with my religion. :eek:

The only time i've ever seen this was when I beat Castille in a war & force converted them from Catholic to Reformed or Protestant, I forget which. After the peace treaty they were over-run by Religious Zealot rebels & the taken provinces defected to the Papal State. Now I don't know if this is because they were Catholic rebels or Papal State sponsored, but I think they were just RR spawned not sponsored.

<snip> Related question though. How does defection with religious rebels work? I tried in a game some time ago to sponsor a lot with religious rebels and they showed up with my flag but they never defected to me.. Sometimes they just broke the country and sometimes they even defected to some other country with my religion. :eek:

I've often seen catholic rebels make a province defect to The Papal States. Once the reformation has begun I've seen religious rebels belonging to protestant and reformed nations, not sure what decides which.

How do you seize a colony?

What the other said. Note that seizing a colony costs 0.1 infamy per 100 colonists. So a colony of 600 will give you 0.6 infamy, but it's a lot cheaper than a regular province.