• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does the 5.1 patch take away the infamy hit or do you just not inherit the land in the first place?
For provinces people give up under "A Formal Request", it gives you an event letting you decide to either keep it, or give it back to its proper owner and have your Infamy reduced by one point.

It also fixes the reward mechanism for taking back Imperial provinces from non-Imperial nations, so that you core all of them instead of just one per war.

As the TO I now have the option to change to an Empire. Reading around here this seems to be generally advantageous, however it will reduce my force limit from 92 to 86. Will it be a massive drain on my economy to go this far over my FL? Should I reduce my army accordingly? I only ask because I am right in the thick of it, surrounded by big boys and filled with reformation rebels!!

As the TO I now have the option to change to an Empire. Reading around here this seems to be generally advantageous, however it will reduce my force limit from 92 to 86. Will it be a massive drain on my economy to go this far over my FL? Should I reduce my army accordingly? I only ask because I am right in the thick of it, surrounded by big boys and filled with reformation rebels!!

Well, it all depends on how much money you have. 92 - 86 is only 6 over the FL if you have 92 regiments. That's a pretty small percent increase, but it applies to every regiment, not just those 6. You should be okay though, but I wouldn't go much higher than that.

In addition, Empire is generally only good if you plan on warring infidels (you get a Holy War CB on everyone as if they were crusade targets)

Thank you! Another quickie.

Is there any point in sending a missionary to one of your provinces that has had the reformation event until the Religious Zeal has worn off?

I.e Can a province with a negative percentage possibly be converted?

No point at all. Unless you're trying to deliberately generate a revolt.

What is the proper way to maintain "super monopolies" in a CoT? Is there a way to reduce the merchant placement chance for other nations, or do you need to actually own it so you can just embargo everyone, or what? I can easily compete 5 people out, but everyone will manpile merchants in there and take those empty seats before I can make any more progress.

What is the proper way to maintain "super monopolies" in a CoT? Is there a way to reduce the merchant placement chance for other nations, or do you need to actually own it so you can just embargo everyone, or what? I can easily compete 5 people out, but everyone will manpile merchants in there and take those empty seats before I can make any more progress.
You must own the CoT to embargo other countries.
My strategy to super CoTs is to create a CoT in a far place I discovered (say, Havana), so that only you can send merchants to there. When you have a monoply, and if you're mercalistic enough, others won't be able to place any merchant in there.

You must own the CoT to embargo other countries.
My strategy to super CoTs is to create a CoT in a far place I discovered (say, Havana), so that only you can send merchants to there. When you have a monoply, and if you're mercalistic enough, others won't be able to place any merchant in there.
Well in the Havana case, you're protecting yourself from landlocked OPMs and nations that don't have enough trading range to reach it, but is there any way to reduce the placement chance of any nation that actually can see it and reach it? Or do you have to rely on their own ability or lack thereof.

The only way to really maintain a 'super embargo' is to be fully mercantilistic and own all the CoT provinces. You really need a 99% compete chance in the specific CoT, since just being competed out once often means you have to start all over. If you have a very few super-free-trade nations (Holland, etc) who keeps breaking your monopoly it might be worth it to embargo those specific nations, but.. in most cases you need that 90%+ compete chance to have a chance at it, and you cant embargo everyone (then you wont be making any money out of your trade at all!)

If you are free trade, it's more profitable to just keep 5 (or 6) merchants in every CoT in the world.

Well, your compete chance only matters up to getting your 6 merchants placed, right? Once you create the empty seats there, other nations aren't trying to compete against you for an empty seat, they just need to beat their own placement chance. I was wondering if there's any way to make their placement chance on an empty seat harder so the seats stay empty longer.

They compete against you to beat your monopoly. No one can place a merchant in a CoT while there is a monopoly, the 6th merchant always has to be competed out.

As an orthodox nation. Would it be enough to vassalize HRE members to get them to vote yes for me? Or would I also need to switch their religion?

As an orthodox nation. Would it be enough to vassalize HRE members to get them to vote yes for me?
For the election? Yes. Vassalized/PU'd electors will hold their noses and ignore the filthy heresies of their overlord.

For reforms? No.

For the election? Yes. Vassalized/PU'd electors will hold their noses and ignore the filthy heresies of their overlord.

For reforms? No.

Don't you mean that I need to switch their religion for elections? (because that I do need to do)

Don't you mean that I need to switch their religion for elections? (because that I do need to do)
I guess maybe for Orthodox you might, but I've certainly had vassalized Catholics supporting my Protestant Emperor.

Vassalisation overules the religion penalty when it comes to voting for the emperor. If you are Russia/ERE trolling the HRE for the lulz just vassalise 4 electors and bribe them up, you should then get elected Emperor and will be able to then use enforce religious unity/Unam Sanctum to start the process of making everyone Orthodox.

For the reforms its a negative weighting of 3 against if they don't have your religion. That isn't insurmountable by itself, but wrong religion is likely to cause a lot of other bad blood and thus get those reforms voted down.