• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey guys, I've got a question:

I researched the Revolutionary Republic type of government recently and I've been trying to transition to it but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the government panel. I tried to switch to any other type of government to see if it unlocks it but no success. Any ideas? Is there any specific requirements for this government to be able to switch to it or something?

Hey guys, I've got a question:

I researched the Revolutionary Republic type of government recently and I've been trying to transition to it but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the government panel. I tried to switch to any other type of government to see if it unlocks it but no success. Any ideas? Is there any specific requirements for this government to be able to switch to it or something?

You need to have >6 WE and then surrender to revolutionary rebels, I believe.

You need to have >6 WE and then surrender to revolutionary rebels, I believe.
Which necessarily requires that you have one of the "oppressive" governments and lousy sliders.

From wiki:
6 war exhaustion or more
less than 0 prestige
Government Tech 48 or higher
5 or more provinces
After a MTTH of 360 months (+/- modifiers) you get a revolution. The revolution ends if you get stability 1 or higher and have 0 rebels (you don't want it to end!).
The sliders set towards aristocracy, decentralization and serfdom decreases MTTH and high revolt risk and low stability also decreases MTTH. The national idea Humanist Tolerance increases MTTH.
This will give you a revolution.

The second event you need to fire requires this:
have a revolution
government tech 53 or higher
there is no other revolutionary country
your capital is in Europe
you have 10 or more provinces
you're not France (France got a different event with the same requirements and effects)
After a mean time of 24 months, which is decreased for each of the 7 events that can fire due to the revolution, you become a Revolutionary Republic, get +3 stability, a new ruler and these sliders maxed:
free subjects
quality
land
offensive
mercantilism
innovative
centralization
plutocracy

Edit: You also need one of the following forms of governments to get a revolution:
feudal monarchy
despotic monarchy
noble republic
absolute monarchy
administrative monarchy
enlightened despotism
bureaucratic despotism
republican dictatorship
imperial government

If you had to choose would you rather have 10 PE or 10% more taxes?
Depends heavily on what trade goods my provinces have. There's an awful lot of provinces out there with lousy base tax and amazing trade goods.

Depends heavily on what trade goods my provinces have. There's an awful lot of provinces out there with lousy base tax and amazing trade goods.

Assuming thats not really an issue what do you think is better? I take a lot of territory regardless of what nation i play. Since current saves dont work with achievements im starting a new game. Right now i cant decide if i want to play as Denmark or Portugal. I like the nations i play to have unique bonuses. Its too bad Muslim nations have no demand for wine. I might have enjoyed a OE game.

Hey guys! I'm newly obsessed with EU3, and midway through a very successful Holland game I encountered a few frustrations:
1. After a few cascading alliance wars I got on the Hansa's bad side and they barred me from trading in Lubeck. Although I've missed the trade dispute casus belli, I still can't send merchants there. They also have a monopoly in their own CoT. Do I just need to buy off a positive relationship with them or is there something else I'm missing?
2. I gained elector status in the HRE, vassalized a few electors and was elected emperor - but now I keep getting hit with unlawful territory infamy from formal request provinces. Even with advisors and embassies, my reputation is really crushing my trade. I'd rather dismantle the HRE at this point - is there any way to do so as the emperor? The only options I see is to ruin my reputation with my electors, wait for a female monarch or change to a republic. Which leads to...
3. How can I change from Holland's old monarchy to a republic more befitting the Netherlands during the time period? I can't find anything in the UI and the Wiki isn't clear either.

Thanks a lot for your help, guys - hopefully with your help I can start contributing to the boards!

Hey guys! I'm newly obsessed with EU3, and midway through a very successful Holland game I encountered a few frustrations:
1. After a few cascading alliance wars I got on the Hansa's bad side and they barred me from trading in Lubeck. Although I've missed the trade dispute casus belli, I still can't send merchants there. They also have a monopoly in their own CoT. Do I just need to buy off a positive relationship with them or is there something else I'm missing?
2. I gained elector status in the HRE, vassalized a few electors and was elected emperor - but now I keep getting hit with unlawful territory infamy from formal request provinces. Even with advisors and embassies, my reputation is really crushing my trade. I'd rather dismantle the HRE at this point - is there any way to do so as the emperor? The only options I see is to ruin my reputation with my electors, wait for a female monarch or change to a republic. Which leads to...
3. How can I change from Holland's old monarchy to a republic more befitting the Netherlands during the time period? I can't find anything in the UI and the Wiki isn't clear either.

Thanks a lot for your help, guys - hopefully with your help I can start contributing to the boards!

1. Buy them off and they will lift the ban.

2. Release the unlawful territory as vassals if you can. There is a button on the bottom of the menu that shows what your relations are with other countries. That should remove the penalty.

3. Get better government tech. Look here for the requirements.

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Government

Can I claim a throne while at war with that particular country? So as to lower their prestige, then claim their throne to force a PU?

You can do it more easy before war. You can use spy mission in capital city of country you want PU. This give you CB "form union" you start war and in peace deals is option to force PU. Ofc such country must have low legitimacy.

What are the effects of going past the slider limit? For instance, early in the game you can only centralize so far. What happens if you go past the limit? [I'm playing HttT]

What are the effects of going past the slider limit? For instance, early in the game you can only centralize so far. What happens if you go past the limit? [I'm playing HttT]
You get +1 global revolt risk for each move beyond that limit. If you have a rather uniform country you can afford to have a slider or two set a bit over that limit.

What's the difference between Merchant Chance and Compete Chance?
Merchant chance is your merchants' chance to fill an empty seat. Compete Chance is your chance to knock someone else's merchant out of the CoT (and to resist them knocking your merchant out).

Tradition, WE, and prestige gained from battles is based not only on the outcome, but on the percentage of that nation's entire army involved in the fighting. Sure, you might be fighting 30k English, but if they've got another 270k out there somewhere, they will neither care nor learn much from that little defeat. Now if you had just defeated every single English soldier in existence, the gains after the battle would've been much different.

Now I figured it out, it seems they get WE at the first defeat, and at the second defeat (pursue and kill) (a few days later) were they are totally defeated they get no WE, and prestige hit. Is this WAD ? So the bloodier the losses, the smaller the WE - but higher losses in prestige. Let me correct myself, the enemy got no WE from getting his army wiped out.

Apologies if this has come up before (or is in the manual somewhere) - tried searching the forum but couldn't see anything...

Is there any way to slow down the (very helpful) mouse tooltips ? I'd like the short version to stay a bit longer before going on to the larger version (not that I've got anything against more info, but it obscures some of the rest of the panels, and as I get used to the interface I need a quick reminder rather than a full explanation).

Many thanks for your help,
Chris