• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does using the diplomatic action Claim Throne increase chances of forming a union if a leader dies, or does it just grant a Casis Belli?
It doesn't increase chances - it will give you a Personal Union if their leader dies.
But beware - other countries can claim the throne and you'll have to go to a Succession War. Or then the current leader could get a new heir and your pretensions to the throne will fall apart.

If I vassalise someone who already has a vassal or is a leader in a PU, what happens to the vassal/PU then?

I've been the senior partner in a PU with someone who had a vassal. And I believe you can have a vassal who has a vassal. You don't get a special relationship with the underling. I know in the PU situation they were able to still annex their vassal.

So having another nation in your sphere of influence will give you a CB on anyone who fiddles with them, and I saw someone around here say that it increases your diplomatic chances with that nation as well? Are there any other features of benefits of having lots of nations in your sphere?

So having another nation in your sphere of influence will give you a CB on anyone who fiddles with them, and I saw someone around here say that it increases your diplomatic chances with that nation as well? Are there any other features of benefits of having lots of nations in your sphere?

I think that every sphere increases your monarch's diplomatic skill AND every sphere increases your magistrate gain by 0.05

correct. every nation gives +1 to diplo

If I have understood correctly, culture "level" (primary, accepted, non-accepted) of a province affects its tax revenue and revolt risk. Is that so and are there maybe some other additional effects which I'm unaware of? Also, is there some way to spread my primary culture (except the animist-zealot trick or similar rather gamey mechanism)?

It is possible to convert into new nations, both fictional (like Scandinavia) and historical (like Russia), but what benefits that actually has? In addition to flavour, I mean.

If I have understood correctly, culture "level" (primary, accepted, non-accepted) of a province affects its tax revenue and revolt risk. Is that so and are there maybe some other additional effects which I'm unaware of? Also, is there some way to spread my primary culture (except the animist-zealot trick or similar rather gamey mechanism)?

It is possible to convert into new nations, both fictional (like Scandinavia) and historical (like Russia), but what benefits that actually has? In addition to flavour, I mean.

To see a list of modifiers on tax income just hover the cursor over it for the tool tip. Various ones are level of religious tolerance, land connection to capital, overseas (no connection + different continent), core.

Primary culture will spread to adjacent cored provinces with state religion and 0 revolt risk. It will also spread to cots you own with 5 merchants in and your capital even if not adjacent to a primary culture province. Or you can use the settlement policy province decision (but this is a bit pointless).

Changing tags can give you extra cores, extra base tax, centralisation moves. Also some tags (Germany, GB, France, Italy, Persia) are union nations and treat all cultures in their cultural group as primary culture, very useful for France & Germany.

It increases your diplomatic chances with all countries.

It's a good strategy to SOI-Gobble minors, then diplo vassal + diplo annex instead of biting the annexation infamy.

Question: Why were i just able to recruit Men at Arms at my capital before even reaching the required tech for those units?

I'm playing Naples and while at war with Sicily and their allies i wanted to hire fresh troops in my capital when i discovered the option to recruit Men at Arms, too (besides the usual infantry starting units). After hiring one unit of Men at Arms the troop type vanished from the recruitment menu. It was only available in my capital and i was NOT hiring mercenaries.

Can anyone explain this?

Question: Why were i just able to recruit Men at Arms at my capital before even reaching the required tech for those units?

I'm playing Naples and while at war with Sicily and their allies i wanted to hire fresh troops in my capital when i discovered the option to recruit Men at Arms, too (besides the usual infantry starting units). After hiring one unit of Men at Arms the troop type vanished from the recruitment menu. It was only available in my capital and i was NOT hiring mercenaries.

Can anyone explain this?

You can build units from other countries if these other countries still have cores in that province. Extra-powerful, as it allows you to grab a province in Morocco, and build the great Arabian cavalry units there. You'll win any battles with those :)

Perhaps Parma starts with men-at-arms as their starting unit?

Thanks for answers. Concerning this:
Primary culture will spread to adjacent cored provinces with state religion and 0 revolt risk. It will also spread to cots you own with 5 merchants in and your capital even if not adjacent to a primary culture province.
How quick is that spread and is it enough to have 0% effective revolt risk or does the existence of any negative modifier, even if off-set by higher positive modifiers, enough to stop the spread?

You seem to have described mercenaries.

No they aren't mercenaries. I checked it immediately because that was my first thought, too.

Safferli, what do you mean with Parma? Are they a revolter nation in Napoli? Is it possible they temporarily got their core placed there so i could hire Men at Arms (their starting units) and then quickly after that the core was removed again by ... something?