• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I bough EU3 and all the expansions couple of days ago and have had good times trying to figure out what to do and change away from my HoI-habits (100+ infamy is not a pretty thing). I think I've grasped at least the basics by now, but there are couple of miscelaneous things I'd like to know:

1) There is supposedly some easy (and probably obvious) way to make navies show in ledger like armies do, but what that exactly is?

2) Thanks to that previously mentioned sky-high infamy I had quite a many countries declaring war on me, including one-province vassal of mine. I then got a cassus belli to re-vassalise that country, but when I forced them to become my vassals again, I did not have that CB active, but "Dishounourable scum" instead. That was their CB against me, but I figured it was mutual and I never got to choose CB as it was they who declared. My question is, however, if there is any way to add CB in such a situation, or should I have just enforced white peace and then declare with correct CB after truce wears off? That would also apply to situations where I attack alliance and only get active CB against one country.

I bough EU3 and all the expansions couple of days ago and have had good times trying to figure out what to do and change away from my HoI-habits (100+ infamy is not a pretty thing). I think I've grasped at least the basics by now, but there are couple of miscelaneous things I'd like to know:

1) There is supposedly some easy (and probably obvious) way to make navies show in ledger like armies do, but what that exactly is?

2) Thanks to that previously mentioned sky-high infamy I had quite a many countries declaring war on me, including one-province vassal of mine. I then got a cassus belli to re-vassalise that country, but when I forced them to become my vassals again, I did not have that CB active, but "Dishounourable scum" instead. That was their CB against me, but I figured it was mutual and I never got to choose CB as it was they who declared. My question is, however, if there is any way to add CB in such a situation, or should I have just enforced white peace and then declare with correct CB after truce wears off? That would also apply to situations where I attack alliance and only get active CB against one country.

1. Right click on the top of the outliner button; there should be a check box for navies.

2. Once a war has started, you can't add a CB. Dishonorable scum isn't necessarily mutual, unless you both have gone over the BB limit.

As of DW 5.1 can the HRE switch to a republic once the title is hereditary and still remain Emperor? Im currently in the middle of a ton of wars so i cant check myself.

Last edited:
As of DW 5.1 can the HRE switch to a republic once the title is hereditary and still remain Emperor? Im currently in the middle of a ton of wars so i cant check myself.

So I've been told. Never personally tried it.

I'm under the impression that technology research costs increase for each province that you have. What I am wondering is, how much exactly? I'm curious about what the breakeven point is for what income a new province must have for your actual research rate to be faster than with fewer provinces. Certainly if you are sitting next to a province with a base tax of like 10 and iron/cloth, or if you are colonizing some place with like 6 base tax and coffee or tea then they can't be actually slowing you down? Production buildings and a manufactory would help too, right?

I'm under the impression that technology research costs increase for each province that you have. What I am wondering is, how much exactly? I'm curious about what the breakeven point is for what income a new province must have for your actual research rate to be faster than with fewer provinces. Certainly if you are sitting next to a province with a base tax of like 10 and iron/cloth, or if you are colonizing some place with like 6 base tax and coffee or tea then they can't be actually slowing you down? Production buildings and a manufactory would help too, right?

This depends massively on your size and your investment from non-province sources (e.g. trade, leader bonuses). Small trader nations will nearly always see their research output fall when acquiring a new province; most other nations will tend to see a rise in tech speed, even if the province produces less income than the average for all the provinces of that nation.

I think if you win against your vassal if it declares war on you, they will still be your vassal. You must use demand peace from them though, white peace won't work.

Nope, the option to switch to a republic will be grayed out. Not sure if it's possible after you've tag-switched to the HRE proper, but I'd guess yes.

The amount it increases depend on your current size. Supposedly, the first eight provinces are huge in terms of tech cost. After that (and this is something I'm sure of) the amount per province slowly decreases. Owning 99.99% of the world and then finally WC'ing will show almost no difference, whereas 1 -> 2 provinces will almost double the cost.

That makes sense. Also I was wondering, is full Aristocracy good for a a nation you plan to do plenty of battling with? I've gone full Plutocracy every time before because I love having a strong economy, but it seems like the cheap cavalry could offset that a bit and the shock bonus would be good.

That makes sense. Also I was wondering, is full Aristocracy good for a a nation you plan to do plenty of battling with? I've gone full Plutocracy every time before because I love having a strong economy, but it seems like the cheap cavalry could offset that a bit and the shock bonus would be good.

The diplomats are very useful, but yeah Plutocracy is vital if you trade. Generally though there are other more important sliders to move.

Generally, if I go plutocratic with free market, and aristocratic with mercantilism. I disagree with Sihulm. It is a very important slider to max out in one of the two directions. You can't just leave it in the middle.

If you're not the type to use spies, generally Aristocratic is better. But Free Trade + Plutocracy usually makes for a deadly trading combo (in addition to making up for the lack of spies from mercantilism)

The diplomats are very useful, but yeah Plutocracy is vital if you trade. Generally though there are other more important sliders to move.

While diplomats are useful you really don't feel the pinch outside of Europe, esp if you stay catholic. Catholicism gives +2 diplomats.

While diplomats are useful you really don't feel the pinch outside of Europe, esp if you stay catholic. Catholicism gives +2 diplomats.

If you're playing in Europe, it's important for all the diplovassalising and possible HRE-gifting that's going on. If you're playing outside of Europe, it's nice for those frenetic periods when you need to make a bunch of DoWs and get Military Access from that annoying little OPM and annex those upstarts next door and gift the neighbour you have the stupid mission on so that you can get a better mission, all the while getting only 2-3 diplomats a year because your ruler is mentally retarded and you don't worship Jesus.

If you're playing in Europe, it's important for all the diplovassalising and possible HRE-gifting that's going on. If you're playing outside of Europe, it's nice for those frenetic periods when you need to make a bunch of DoWs and get Military Access from that annoying little OPM and annex those upstarts next door and gift the neighbour you have the stupid mission on so that you can get a better mission, all the while getting only 2-3 diplomats a year because your ruler is mentally retarded and you don't worship Jesus.

Even as a European Catholic major power inside the HRE, I regularly run out of diplomats. Maintaining a bunch of vassals and a good sphere takes a lot of folks!