• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
is there any way i can make a use of ships once they fall behind tech level? ive still got carracks in 1650s and i feel like theyre just going to be worthless soon

If your hitting your support limits and have the cash then replace them. They cost the same as a modern ship and will not be as handy in a fight. Barques are fine as they just sit in port to deter pirates but big ships are meant to fight so you should probably scrap them.

If you don't have the cash/ports to replace them quickly just use them to blockade.

Im playing as Brandenburg, and one of my goals of this save is to form Prussia. It says I have to be Protestant or Reformed before I can do that. How do I make that happen?

Im playing as Brandenburg, and one of my goals of this save is to form Prussia. It says I have to be Protestant or Reformed before I can do that. How do I make that happen?
When the Protestant revolution kicks in, in any country (you'll see a notice), you can choose to convert in your Religion and Rebellions screen, with a stability cost, and a small monetary reward.

When the Protestant revolution kicks in, in any country (you'll see a notice), you can choose to convert in your Religion and Rebellions screen, with a stability cost, and a small monetary reward.
-5 Stability and five times your annual income, respectively.

-5 Stability and five times your annual income, respectively.

Actually, in most cases, you only get one year of income (five is only if the heretic-trigger reformation starting event happens to you).

Nice! I've played EU3 for quite some time, and I never noticed that I can do that lol

Thanks alot!

Actually, in most cases, you only get one year of income (five is only if the heretic-trigger reformation starting event happens to you).
Last time I converted by decision as Burgundy I got something on the order of 3000 ducats. (Is it one year of annual income + twelve months of monthly income? That would probably have done it...)

i seem to remember vaguely that there once was a thread around where one could download a messagetypes_custom.txt, where all message settings where made in a rather reasonable way. i tried searching for it but cant find it. does anybody else know? i had to reinstall and forgot to save my file and im too lazy to go through them again ;/

Ok, I have a question:
I noticed I'm getting Shrewd Commerce Practices bonus, but I don't have that idea. I also get a 2% bonus to compete chance from a Russian guy. I checked it out, and my TG leader has both - what else does my trade group leader borrows me?

Ok, I have a question:
I noticed I'm getting Shrewd Commerce Practices bonus, but I don't have that idea. I also get a 2% bonus to compete chance from a Russian guy. I checked it out, and my TG leader has both - what else does my trade group leader borrows me?

If you have lower Infamy than the leader of your Trade League, you can use their compete chance if it's better than yours.

Which country has best sliders? I mean Centralization, Plutocracy, Free Subject, Innovative and Free Trade ?

Aachens pretty good. Starts full Plutocracy and Free Subjects, Free trade isn't to bad iirc, middling level, easy to change. Centralization is horrible, fully decentralized, and Innovative is middling as well but thats about where you want it until the reformation has came and went and you choose your side.

Lorraine is in much the same boat.

It is quite nondescript. I'm not even sure what the obscurism event is. Mind giving a little more info?

What do you mean? There is some kind of event or decision?

Innovative affects how many missionaries you get, theres some religious decisions and bonus' for holding certain provinces(Rome, Judea, Mecca) that add to this, but innovative/narrowminded can be very important far as missionaries and making sure you have a nice uniform country religion wise. So until you will no longer need missionaries(there are other paths then conversion as well) it good to keep innovative kinda middling. Doesn't hurt your tech to much and produces enough missionaries.

By choose your side I mean expunge all the heretics from your borders. ;)

Playing as Novgorod the latest 5.1 patch, I've got no 'Holy War' CB on the neighbouring Golden Horde. I'm Orthodox and they are Sunni. I do have a Holy War CB on the Ottomans, who I've just established a border with

Have I missed something or has there been a change in a recent patch?

Due to the new horde mechanics CBs don't work if you pay the horde tribute(either way, the GH will have to take a 2 stab hit to attack you as well). Unfortuenatly the only way to cancel said tribute is by declaring war.

If you're in a truce w/ the Golden Horde just wait till its over and they should attack again and then you can take their land w/o any Infamy at all, but it will require 5 colonists.