• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Question about Plutocracy and merchant chance.

In my current venice game i have become fully plutocratic, when i look at the slider bonuses it says i have a greater "Merchant chance" but when i look at the break down of my chances when competeing, this value does not seem to appear. Is this only a placement chance? Or am i looking in the wrong place?

It is only a placement chance (which can still come in handy--just not as much as compete chance). Compete chance is always specifically referred to by that name, merchant chance is always the placement chance.

@Mattabesta: Move your capital to the Azores or Madeira (they're on the European continent, so you can do this). Then move to the Americas when you regain stability and cash (they have no bordering provinces).

I am a step away from having the option to unite the HRE as Byzantine Emperor. Why should I do it? I will be sad to lose the purple.

Well, you unify all the minors into one state (yours) and end any illegal Imperial land infamy. Otherwise, there isn't really much reason to do it, except for completion.

I did it once as the Byzantines. Mainly, it gives you more property to take on other overgrown nations. If you have France/Burgundy, Spain, GB, and Sweden under control, then it probably doesn't matter.

Do I get additional cores and state cultures for uniting HRE?

Do I get additional cores and state cultures for uniting HRE?

When I united HRE i I got some (many) additional cores, but not in all the empire, one or two countries even stay independent.
I really did not understand what's happened, maybe something related to the way the wars following the last two decisions ended.
Anyway once HRE is reunited, it has little importance, since you can do whatever you want, pretty much.

I dont have access to the tech forums, been on probation for years, can you give the jist of whats needed to fix it?

Basically: don't reload saves, quit to desktop and restart when you need to reload. The problem has to do with how achieves currently get saved (don't ask me for details though). Not sure you can fix the currently huge files but a new game with all reloading being done after exiting the game will avoid a repeat.

I dont have access to the tech forums, been on probation for years, can you give the jist of whats needed to fix it?

Delete all the "nr" lines at the end of your save file. Delete everything inside your achievements.txt file

Still on my first game, finally discovered the new world (as Portugal). I am starting to read up on Colonisation posts, but wanted to know if there was a rule of thumb as to how much/little of the new world i should grab? My eyes, i think, are bigger then my eventual budget. I am the first European power there and have just started grabbing everything.

Will this eventually come back to bite me? Or should i just keep going hog wild and send colonists to every new territory i discover? Should i just stick to Caribbean islands and/or coastal provinces? I wanted to play this first game as colony power but don't want run my country in the ground either!

When it says that the Shiite and Shinto religions add +.50 to morale, does that mean they just get half a point of morale, or an extra half of their base morale?