• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Trade buildings get ridiculously powerful at level six if you have plenty of provinces in which to build them and reap the +1% trade efficiency bonus. I tend to build production building early on because production and trade efficiency are low and taxes make up most of your income, so workshops, constables and treasuries are vital. Later on I concentrate on docks, counting houses and trade buldings with a few provinces dedicated to army level six for buffing up manpower and force limit.

Early on its production all the way. I tend to live of the year income tax so anything that makes that bigger allows me to do more stuff. If I have to cash to spare I'll flesh out the other buildings, Army usually gets priority as I generally start small so every bit of MP counts. I'll generally also designate a number of provinces as training provinces and those will get lvl 6 army buildings for the fastest, cheapest troops. Same goes for naval buildings if its important enough. Everywhere else I'll decide between Prod and Trade, richer provinces getting production(more taxes), poorer provinces getting trade(making trade income over all better). The cut off is 10 tax at 3 stability, 10 and lower gets trade, 11 and higher gets production. This is based on entirely nothing(ie arbitrary decision, I don't claim its a good idea). My capital generally gets lvl6 civilian buildings for the best spy protection plus some extra magistrates and stab.

Simply put, Prod then army, then everything else.

So what determines the amount of base production that a province has, does it relate to population or the type of trade good or anything? Also, does the info it show on a province for the trade good that it produces and its value etc. mean anything for you personally, or does that value only matter to the center of trade that it is attached to?

So what determines the amount of base production that a province has, does it relate to population or the type of trade good or anything? Also, does the info it show on a province for the trade good that it produces and its value etc. mean anything for you personally, or does that value only matter to the center of trade that it is attached to?

Population. Its capped at 2 'unit' which is reached at 100k people in that province. Overseas provinces are capped at 1 unit of production. Value of the good is regards to the CoT it trades in. Raw production(just below tax iirc) is what you get income wise(modified by production eff).

Base production is (Trade Value) x (Units) where a 1,000 pop city has 1.0 units and a 101,000 pop city has 2.0 units. Salt province are great for production, Wool provinces not so much. Trade buildings will help production, but not that much.

Thanks, I've been wondering about all this stuff.

Another question, is it possible to somehow gain a core on a specific province that you want to take? I've had a boundry dispute event or something like that pop up before which gave me a core on a random border province, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to target something like that at a specific province or to increase the chance of the boundry dispute happening.

Thanks, I've been wondering about all this stuff.

Another question, is it possible to somehow gain a core on a specific province that you want to take? I've had a boundry dispute event or something like that pop up before which gave me a core on a random border province, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to target something like that at a specific province or to increase the chance of the boundry dispute happening.

Nope. Just hope you get lucky :) You can increase boundary dispute frequency via high diplomatic skill (go for those leaders, add the advisor that boosts diplo skill, sphere more countries, etc.) but there's no guarantee you'll get the one you want.

Trade buildings are more useful once the game wears on a bit, you get access to the absurdly good Post Office and Customs House, and once production becomes a much larger part of your income than tax. Early-game, Production buildings are best because you rely so much on your taxes and especially your census revenue.

with DW I got a free CoT somehow. I'm in a trade league, didnt even build it, didnt even know about it. It spawned in Martinique, so how the hell did a (free) CoT spawn there? Is it maybe because I have 11 monopolies?

* i got another free CoT in Loango

Last edited:
Nope. Just hope you get lucky :) You can increase boundary dispute frequency via high diplomatic skill (go for those leaders, add the advisor that boosts diplo skill, sphere more countries, etc.) but there's no guarantee you'll get the one you want.

Iirc putting you National Focus next to the province will also increase the likelihood of that event. But thats about the most proactive thing you can do to get it.

with DW I got a free CoT somehow. I'm in a trade league, didnt even build it, didnt even know about it. It spawned in Martinique, so how the hell did a (free) CoT spawn there? Is it maybe because I have 11 monopolies?

It probably meant another CoT closed somewhere in the Americas due to stagnation. If people are trading in a CoT it can do that, and as the North and South American continents start unexplored not alot of people can trade in the two or three CoTs that start there. So they closed and you got the lucky CoT. Africa is often in a similar boat. Its completely random and largely out of your hands.

There's a modifier, but basically you can only have a given number of provinces trading through a certain CoT before it splits automatically. A beta patch solved the spawning while in a Trade League issue though.

Can Denmark join the HRE without moving its Capital? Can all of Scandinavia join the HRE going though Denmark's provinces up to Swedish mainland? Im playing as Denmark and i want to get the tax increase decision and join the HRE before inheriting my PU partners and switching to Swedish culture. Can this be done or do i have to chose between being in the Empire and switching cultures since you cannot change capitals out of the HRE.

Last edited:
so those 2 CoTs randomly spawned in my provinces because other 2 CoTs closed?

More than likely, though they could have split as well. But my guess is a CoT closing.

Can Denmark join the HRE without moving its Capital? Can all of Scandinavia join the HRE going though Denmark's provinces up to Swedish mainland? Im playing as Denmark and i want to get the tax increase decision and join the HRE before inheriting my PU partners and switching to Swedish culture. Can this be done or do i have to chose between being in the Empire and switching cultures since you cannot change capitals out of the HRE.

Yes. Theres a province decision to "Join the HRE." You basically will have to enact it for every province upto and including your capital to join the HRE. You need good relations w/ the Emperor for him to accept this though(being smaller province wise helps as well). This may be difficult once you inherit sweden to culture shift, but if you can continue adding provinces to your destined capital(which must be swedish to shift), move it, and then accept the culture shift.

More than likely, though they could have split as well. But my guess is a CoT closing.

Yes. Theres a province decision to "Join the HRE." You basically will have to enact it for every province upto and including your capital to join the HRE. You need good relations w/ the Emperor for him to accept this though(being smaller province wise helps as well). This may be difficult once you inherit sweden to culture shift, but if you can continue adding provinces to your destined capital(which must be swedish to shift), move it, and then accept the culture shift.

Thanks for answering. I know about the province based decision to join the Empire. Im just not 100% sure Denmark's islands can join since they are not connected by land to any HRE province.

Thanks for answering. I know about the province based decision to join the Empire. Im just not 100% sure Denmark's islands can join since they are not connected by land to any HRE province.

Straights count as a land connection iirc. If your army can walk across it it counts.

Quick question, is anyone able to connect to Paradox connect with the 5.1 patch? And can you start a new game when not connected and then connect later and still get achievements?