• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi

Playing Bohemia, I made an alliance with Austria during a war with France. Why can't I call them in to the war?

Are you the warleader? If not, you cant call them.
Hm, a truce between France and Bohemia still enables you to call Bohemia, or not?

Are you the warleader? If not, you cant call them.
Hm, a truce between France and Bohemia still enables you to call Bohemia, or not?

I'm Bohemia.

I think Provence was the warleader, as they're still at war, and I dropped out because I lost... That explains it.

is it still not possible to annex vassals with more than 3 provinces? im thinking of vassalizing venice since they have colonies in africa

It's possible, but you need a large Sphere of Influence to raise your diplomatic skill. It's impossible with a skill of 9, the best you could get before DW (Unless you were Austria)

Couple of quick questions.

(1) Would you advise changing from a Feudal Monarchy into an Empire if given the chance? I was offered the opportunity on a Castille game, but found that my Land unit maximum went down and I didn't seem to be making as much money either. Can anyone tell me what the benefits, if any, of such a switch are?

(2) I hear people talking about PU's a lot on this forum, but don't really know the mechanics of going about getting them. I know you can get a PU through pure chance, via a royal marriage, or by using the "claim throne" option and going to war with the target country. Is there any other way of getting one? And is it a policy you would recommend for expansion?

The benefits of empire are more magistrates and less restrictive slider caps (the red bars). Usually it's only good for a nation with a lot of provinces in Europe, and I imagine as Castile most of your 50 required provinces are in the Americas? Your land max and money went down because Feudal monarchy provinces a +10% bonus to land forcelimits, and thus your military maintanence probably went up as well, meaning less money.

You can also use "Claim Throne" and simply wait. If their ruler dies without an heir, there is a 100% chance you will get a PU unless there is another claimant. It is a good policy for expansion if the nation in question is large or in your culture group. It's good for large nations because you get 0 infamy and you get all their provinces, and inheriting within your culture group gives instant cores (meaning no revolts from your new provinces, and they're worth more!)

(1) Would you advise changing from a Feudal Monarchy into an Empire if given the chance? I was offered the opportunity on a Castille game, but found that my Land unit maximum went down and I didn't seem to be making as much money either. Can anyone tell me what the benefits, if any, of such a switch are?

There are two benefits to going Empire:
- It allows you to go further Centralized before hitting the limit. Going Centralized is always a good thing.
- Empire allows you to gain CB's easily, for colonial conquest and/or Holy War.

If you are a warmonger, Empire is generally a good choice until Absolute Monarchy becomes available later in the game. The drawback is that your land force limit will drop, as it doesn't give the bonus that Feudal Monarchy does (+10%), but you should never have more than ±60% of your force limit anyway, as it will tank your economy to build your maximum amount of troops.

(2) I hear people talking about PU's a lot on this forum, but don't really know the mechanics of going about getting them. I know you can get a PU through pure chance, via a royal marriage, or by using the "claim throne" option and going to war with the target country. Is there any other way of getting one? And is it a policy you would recommend for expansion?

You've got PU's well figured out. You get them through Royal Marriages, either at random if you are very lucky, or forcing them through the claim throne mechanic.
It is one of the most powerful ways of expansion in the game, as it will allow you to inherit large empires intact and without infamy-cost. If the nation you inherit is of the same culture, you will automatically gain cores, and you'll inherit them with all buildings intact.

As Castille, a good example would be to force a PU on Aragon and then inherit, which is likely because of the same culture bonus. This will allow you to unite and form Spain easily and early, compared to the 3+ wars it would take to annex Aragon outright and wait for cores.

That said, inheritance is never a sure thing. You might have to wait 200 years to inherit if you are terribly unlucky. Factors which influence this are diplomatic skill, prestige, culture, relations, and the duration of the PU, although the exact formula is not known to the community.

Note that you stand a chance to 'inherit' each time your king dies peacefully, but you can 'integrate' after 50 years. This is the forcible option, and will cost you one infamy per province and not gain you cores. You should always wait out a PU.

There's also the Fabricate Claims spy mission, but it's pretty finicky. The tooltip will tell you what you need.

Thanks for the advice.

In regards to PU, unfortunately I've already ate most of Aragon (they only have four provinces left), but I'll put the PU policy into practice in future. :)

but you should never have more than ±60% of your force limit anyway, as it will tank your economy to build your maximum amount of troops.

I've honestly never run into this kind of problem. Once I have my economy estabilished I generally run at a or close to the force limits w/ full maintenance all the time.

It's possible, but you need a large Sphere of Influence to raise your diplomatic skill. It's impossible with a skill of 9, the best you could get before DW (Unless you were Austria)

thanks! what do you mean by sphere of influence? countries being in your sphere or simply your total sphere size? before DW the nations size and military were important when diplo-annexing, i think and since im currently having +500 provinces, that would help a lot.

the diplomatic skill bonus is only when expanding influence on other countries also? i thought the magistrate bonus was the only good thing from the spheres, apart from the cb :(

thanks! what do you mean by sphere of influence? countries being in your sphere or simply your total sphere size? before DW the nations size and military were important when diplo-annexing, i think and since im currently having +500 provinces, that would help a lot.

the diplomatic skill bonus is only when expanding influence on other countries also? i thought the magistrate bonus was the only good thing from the spheres, apart from the cb :(

Number of countries in your Sphere. Each individual country, regardless of size, gives +1 to your diplomacy rating as well as .05 magistrates.

If you are a warmonger, Empire is generally a good choice until Absolute Monarchy becomes available later in the game. The drawback is that your land force limit will drop, as it doesn't give the bonus that Feudal Monarchy does (+10%), but you should never have more than ±60% of your force limit anyway, as it will tank your economy to build your maximum amount of troops.
As far as I can tell, there are only two kinds of countries in Europa Universalis III: Those that can afford to build to the land force limit even though they don't need to, and those that can't afford not to.

The diplomatic bonus is huge. Any action in the diplomacy screen gets a boost. If you have, say, 30 spherelings, you can usually ally any nation of your religion with the Likely chance, no matter how many allies you or they already have.

Edit: Just realized this was a double post.. my bad.

The diplomatic bonus is huge. Any action in the diplomacy screen gets a boost. If you have, say, 30 spherelings, you can usually ally any nation of your religion with the Likely chance, no matter how many allies you or they already have.

uaoh, sounds totally overpowered to me. ill expand my influence then to diplo-annex those +10 province vassals

uaoh, sounds totally overpowered to me. ill expand my influence then to diplo-annex those +10 province vassals

Considering the cost to expand your sphere increases by 2 prestige for each country getting to 30 nations in you sphere can be quite the acheivement in itself, the last one costing 60 Prestige itself. Though not to much for a dedicated warmonger. But yeah, a well managed SoI makes many diplomatic options trivial.

...getting to 30 nations in you sphere can be quite the acheivement in itself, the last one costing 60 Prestige itself. Though not to much for a dedicated warmonger.

true, i once accumulated lots of countries just for the magistrate bonus by expanding the sphere immediately before signing a high-prestige treaty