• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you're poor. There might be some hidden decisions it unlocks, but for the most part not really. Most likely you'll be going free trade anyways and that reduces merchant costs(25%) as well.

You generally gain more money from other ideas, compete chance is less merchants sent, eff. more money from those same merchants. At the end of the day you shouldn't be sending to many merchants to make it valuable.

What about "Settlement Policy"? Do you use it? I mean... playing a (rather) peaceful trader nation with BB at zero and -1.x per year you could handle some yearly infamy without noticing any effects. Is it worth taking and what effect does the culture really have?

Also, whats better to form as TO->>Prussia, Germany or HRE?
All three, in that order (or you might stop at Germany, depending). At least I think Prussia can form Germany...

What about "Settlement Policy"? Do you use it? I mean... playing a (rather) peaceful trader nation with BB at zero and -1.x per year you could handle some yearly infamy without noticing any effects. Is it worth taking and what effect does the culture really have?
It has uses. Most straightforwardly, for "seeding" your culture on a landmass you haven't previously owned any provinces on - passive "culture flip" can't occur in provinces that don't have any provinces of your primary culture next to them. Provinces with a non-accepted culture suffer a 30% penalty to tax collection (and some other penalties, but that's the one that sticks in my mind).

Sometimes (if I´m at war ?) I get events like "trading in wine/copper/etc. happen to us". Why?

Because you're the leading trader in that substance.
This is correct, but to elaborate, being a leading trader in a good gives benefits unique to that good. One of the more powerful ones is Chinaware, which will give a +5% boost to legitimacy yearly. Thats the same as a 5 star adviser, thus allowing you to use that slot in another fashion if you have low legitimacy. Each good gives something different, but Chinaware is by far my favorite. Plus its rather easy to maintain as a european trader once you can reach China/Japan.

As stated earlier culture can have effects on tax(-30% for different culture group and -10% for same but diff culture, Cosmopolitan and Occitain f.ex.), it also will add to stability costs. The +10% pop growth from the policy itself is nothing to scoff at either, more pops means more production, means more money. So either way you look at it, the process and the end result, it garners you more money. And there are a few important special situations to be aware of. Turkish/Greek has a higher chance of flipping naturally as long as the conditions are met(borders a province of the other culture, same religion, core iirc), East/West Slavic and Baltic do the same to tartar provinces. The west slavic and baltic groups is where the settlement policy comes in handy as they dont have any provinces that border tartar provinces. The Settlement policy can bridge this gap or just seed a province further in. I think theres a third example of provinces flipping quicker but I can't think of it.

And, in particular, a Horde won't usually declare war on you if you're paying tribute, even if your current tribute payment is far below what it would be if you signed a new tribute agreement.

What do i need to do to be able to switch my culture?

In my gae now, I have formed the HRE with bohemia, and switched my capital to brandenburg.

But how do I switch my primary culture now?

What do i need to do to be able to switch my culture?

In my gae now, I have formed the HRE with bohemia, and switched my capital to brandenburg.

But how do I switch my primary culture now?

Over 50% of your provinces need to be of the culture you want to switch to, for starters.