• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there a way to get rid of infamy other than the Diplomat advisor?
I have over 20 infamy and my Diplomat is only a level 1 advisor, so he's only getting rid of a little bit every year.

Building an embassy will give you -0.4 BB a year. Having a ruler with a high DIP stat helps a lot, so switch to a republic with elections if you aren't already one. Build up your cultural tradition through cultural decisions, then use that to get a better diplomat. The curia isn't really an option because of that high BB, but each cardinal would give -0.1 BB a year. Getting rid of any unlawful imperial territory you have would be a good idea as well.

How can I get my culture spreading? it is by that event right? what are the req for that event to fire?
You need to have core on it, and it has to be of your own religion, and a province adjacent to it must have your primary culture.

Various other factors affect its Mean Time To Happen.

If provinces of an unaccepted culture produce >12% of your income, you get that culture accepted. However, once the accepted culture's income drop below 5% they return to being unaccepted.

Edit: It also only applies to core provinces and I think it's only base tax related.

But in my case the income was going up due to the gain of 2 Russian provinces. How can this lead to losing the accepted culture status?

The two provinces were uncored, so maybe you mean that the % income of my cored russian provinces was going down due to gaining two further (uncored russian) provinces?

And, btw, is this formula scripted or is there a random element included?

This is in reply to my question:
"Playing as Teutonic Order I was glad to see that Russian culture was accepted quite early. I thought expanding in this direction would be a good idea. However, several years later I gained 2 further russian-culture provinces and suddenly I lost the "accepted culture" status for this culture. What happened?"

Last edited:
What causes huge yearly fluctuations in competitiveness in specific CoTs (HttT).
For instance. I always check the ledger at the start of December one every year. Sometimes in a Cot, say, in andalucia, I have 86 per cent chance of success. The next year it's 1 per cent.

What causes huge yearly fluctuations in competitiveness in specific CoTs (HttT).
For instance. I always check the ledger at the start of December one every year. Sometimes in a Cot, say, in andalucia, I have 86 per cent chance of success. The next year it's 1 per cent.

Probably number of open spots and/or monopolies.

You need to have core on it, and it has to be of your own religion, and a province adjacent to it must have your primary culture.

Various other factors affect its Mean Time To Happen.

You can also use Enact Settlement Policy, if you have the colonists and magistrates. It's faster than waiting, but does increase RR in the province (possibly also infamy, don't have the game with me to check).

I'm playing Mayans right now. Can I change my government from a Tribal government? I'm gov tech level 3 and still can't change. What's holding me back? Also is it feasible to survive the Europeans?

I'm playing Mayans right now. Can I change my government from a Tribal government? I'm gov tech level 3 and still can't change. What's holding me back? Also is it feasible to survive the Europeans?

You need to get an ADM 7 ruler and take the Reform the Government decision at Government 10 (this, obviously, will be virtually impossible to get before westernising).

You can survive the Europeans with care and a bucketful of luck.

What are all the best ways to keep military & naval tradition up? I haven't had a really great general in hundreds of years, my military tradition is hovering around 20% maybe and I'm having a hard time even keeping up with replacing the generals that die of old age.

What are all the best ways to keep military & naval tradition up? I haven't had a really great general in hundreds of years, my military tradition is hovering around 20% maybe and I'm having a hard time even keeping up with replacing the generals that die of old age.

Fight more. Beyond that.. admirality / war college will both have your tradition hover at 33%.. add the national ideas (Battlefield Commisions / Sea Hawks) and you can get it to 66%. Exploring will also give you some naval tradition. The event 'Veteran Homes' will give you even higher.. but with war college and battlefield commisions, and some fighting from time to time, you should easily be able to stay in the 80%+ military tradition.

Thanks. Also, should I build the trade and/or production buildings in provinces that produce Gold as their resource? Also what about in colonies? It says they make tarriffs instead of production so I guess there's no point in trying to boost production?

Thanks. Also, should I build the trade and/or production buildings in provinces that produce Gold as their resource? Also what about in colonies? It says they make tarriffs instead of production so I guess there's no point in trying to boost production?

Yes, as tariffs are based partly on production, but they should be less important than non-overseas provinces. I don't know about Gold. If you have the magistrates to do it, I don't see why not.

No, don't build trade and production buildings in gold provinces. (Except constables and workshops..)

Gold is worth 0 as a trade goods, which means the buildings are all but worthless in a gold province.

Nationalist rebels successfully occupy a province. The rebels later get whacked, but the owner of the province never frees the province from rebel occupation. Will the province still declare independence after the requisite 36 months?

Nationalist rebels successfully occupy a province. The rebels later get whacked, but the owner of the province never frees the province from rebel occupation. Will the province still declare independence after the requisite 36 months?

I'm pretty sure they do, as long as they're still rebel occupied.