• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was trying to implement The Dark Years. I found the .mod file, what had happened was I'd unzipped the download first and then copy-pasted the main folder into the mod folder but missed doing the same for the .mod file. However, now I have a new problem - I hadn't downloaded the patch I need to run the mod, and, (I suspect because Steam treats buying the HTTT expansion as DLC onto Complete), when I download and try to run the patch from the tech support forum, it tells me that I don't have HTTT installed. Any ideas how to get around this?

I was trying to implement The Dark Years. I found the .mod file, what had happened was I'd unzipped the download first and then copy-pasted the main folder into the mod folder but missed doing the same for the .mod file. However, now I have a new problem - I hadn't downloaded the patch I need to run the mod, and, (I suspect because Steam treats buying the HTTT expansion as DLC onto Complete), when I download and try to run the patch from the tech support forum, it tells me that I don't have HTTT installed. Any ideas how to get around this?

The Steam patch for 4.1 is a different patch than the one on the tech support forum. You should be able to get the 4.1 patch from Steam. Try checking the Steam forums or telling Steam to check for updates for EU3?

How do I (using vista 64 btw) get this game to exit correctly? 5.0 DW. I cant get the beta patch via tech forums due to probation for i dunno 2 and a half years now..... 5.0 will always hard crash on exit making me having to hard boot my computer, and occasionally this will corrupt my game file completely requiring a reinstall..... any way around this other than...not playing....gamers gate is probably get annoyed with me sucking up their bandwidth haha.

Quick answer! go go haha =P

How do I (using vista 64 btw) get this game to exit correctly? 5.0 DW. I cant get the beta patch via tech forums due to probation for i dunno 2 and a half years now..... 5.0 will always hard crash on exit making me having to hard boot my computer, and occasionally this will corrupt my game file completely requiring a reinstall..... any way around this other than...not playing....gamers gate is probably get annoyed with me sucking up their bandwidth haha.

Quick answer! go go haha =P

wait for next patch, it will be fixed then. :p
but you shouldnt need to reboot your pc, just click on error message from windows... something rotten seems to be in your pc :)

wait for next patch, it will be fixed then. :p
but you shouldnt need to reboot your pc, just click on error message from windows... something rotten seems to be in your pc :)

I can do that if ive only played an hour or so, but after that, for some reason, the window pops up as normal, but the DW screen stays up so i cant click that window to select close and no buttons respond on the keyboard, so i just get hosed.... 90% of the time now, my computer is powerful enough, that if i wanna play something else, I just tab out and leave the game running at the title screen and just leave it like that till it comes time to shut down my computer lol.

I can do that if ive only played an hour or so, but after that, for some reason, the window pops up as normal, but the DW screen stays up so i cant click that window to select close and no buttons respond on the keyboard, so i just get hosed.... 90% of the time now, my computer is powerful enough, that if i wanna play something else, I just tab out and leave the game running at the title screen and just leave it like that till it comes time to shut down my computer lol.

1. if you dont click mouse when it frezzes, just hitting enter should click away that error message
2. you can always try pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC for task manager to kill either eu3.exe or error message box.. or CTRL+ALT+DEL for more complicated access to the same function :)

hope it helps, if not specify at least your windows version :)
ADDON
doh, i missed the part about not repsonding keyboard... seems like problems with drivers or some win service...u can check windows logs or eu3 log for hint; post your problem in Tech Support forum as new thread.

Last edited:
Question: If I'm the Emperor and I'm calling a vote for reforms, will my vassals always vote with me? Or is there a chance they'll vote against the reform if I have poor relations with them?

The Steam patch for 4.1 is a different patch than the one on the tech support forum. You should be able to get the 4.1 patch from Steam. Try checking the Steam forums or telling Steam to check for updates for EU3?

Oh right. Well, the launcher tells me that there are no updates available so I guess I have everything relevant. Still though, when I try to launch the mod it crashes near-instantly. I guess I'll ask about it in the TDY subforum. Thanks for your help!

Question: If I'm the Emperor and I'm calling a vote for reforms, will my vassals always vote with me? Or is there a chance they'll vote against the reform if I have poor relations with them?
This is for the first reform:

The base chance for a country to vote 'yes' is 10%

If they're your vassal, the chance is multipleid by four - in other words, 40%. if they're a monarchy, the chance is doubled, If they're your religion, the chance is x 1.5%. Various other modifiers apply.

So, if your vassal is a monarchy with the same religion as you, the chance is 120% - it can never fail. But if a Catholic emperor has vassalised a Reformed Dutch Republic, the chance is only 40%.

New player to EU3, EU2, Vicky and CK veteran.

About EU3 (in nomine!) personal unions.
I was England as my first game, and decided to send gifts to Castille, so that they accept alliance. I also offered royal marriage.

Now, my country is ruled by a guy named Nuno in PU.

As I understand, the only sollution to peacefully end it, without actually ruining reputation is to install a republic.

How can I change it?
I have feudal monarchy and 5 government tech. (cannot find a button)

Also an other question is that are there some 'must have' techs.
Example is that in EU2, you needed trade 3 for refineries, in CK you need siege for blitzing.

Is there anything which is _very_ useful?

This is for the first reform:

The base chance for a country to vote 'yes' is 10%

If they're your vassal, the chance is multipleid by four - in other words, 40%. if they're a monarchy, the chance is doubled, If they're your religion, the chance is x 1.5%. Various other modifiers apply.

So, if your vassal is a monarchy with the same religion as you, the chance is 120% - it can never fail. But if a Catholic emperor has vassalised a Reformed Dutch Republic, the chance is only 40%.

Actually the base chance is 10/30.

Galushka there are other ways.

If you relations to Castile are below 0 when the king dies the PU ends.
If Castilian prestige is below 0 when the king dies the PU ends.
If pretender rebels manage to break your country the PU ends.

Also an other question is that are there some 'must have' techs.
Example is that in EU2, you needed trade 3 for refineries, in CK you need siege for blitzing.

Is there anything which is _very_ useful?

Trade 7, Prod. 9, Gov. 9 and 11 and 23, Land 15 and 23. Those are the major ones, although I'm not sure I have the land numbers right.

Can I become Holy Roman Emperor as Byzantium?

As I understand, the only sollution to peacefully end it, without actually ruining reputation is to install a republic.

How can I change it?
I have feudal monarchy and 5 government tech. (cannot find a button)

You need at least Gov 10 for Noble Republic and you can't change your form of government while you are in a PU or regency.

Can I become Holy Roman Emperor as Byzantium?

Yes, but you need to either convert or vassalize the electors.

Question about Plutocracy and merchant chance.

In my current venice game i have become fully plutocratic, when i look at the slider bonuses it says i have a greater "Merchant chance" but when i look at the break down of my chances when competeing, this value does not seem to appear. Is this only a placement chance? Or am i looking in the wrong place?

you can't change your form of government while you are in a PU or regency.

If he only has EU3: Complete, yes he can.

Question about Plutocracy and merchant chance.

In my current venice game i have become fully plutocratic, when i look at the slider bonuses it says i have a greater "Merchant chance" but when i look at the break down of my chances when competeing, this value does not seem to appear. Is this only a placement chance? Or am i looking in the wrong place?

I believe it's an increase in your base chance to compete. I don't think plutocracy shows up as a separate factor. But even if it does show up as a separate factor, it is indeed an increase in your compete chance, not just your placement chance.

how do you move your capital from Iberia to the Americas as Portugal without permanently loosing the Iberian provinces or changing the save?