• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
what is the best way to reduce the lag/jittering that comes from playing a 'prolonged' campaign? (not even prolonged... its about year 1407 and i have been playing for only a couple hours) The game had absolutely no jitters or lag at the start of my campaign, and I remember as my campaign as byzantine I went past 1410, but I had to stop playing because the lag became absolutely unbearable and game breaking.

A wild guest appeared!

Uh, try saving your game and then restarting EU3. If you only have a little bit of RAM then what happens is your RAM gets "full" and then the computer has to access the swap drive on your hard drive disk, which is a lot slower.

I think 5.0 might have had a minor memory leak, too, which would make the problem much worse.

A wild guest appeared!

Uh, try saving your game and then restarting EU3. If you only have a little bit of RAM then what happens is your RAM gets "full" and then the computer has to access the swap drive on your hard drive disk, which is a lot slower.

I think 5.0 might have had a minor memory leak, too, which would make the problem much worse.

i have tried this, to no avail.

well, thing is my comp is pretty new..

8192mb ram
gtx 465
2.9ghz i7

only precarious thing I have is my monitor, i'm running the game @ 2048x1152.

but I will try those settings anyway, any tips?

I have no idea. You should be able to run the game perfectly fine! If the problem persists, I would post in Tech Support, which requires a registration of an EU3 base game, which would be EU3, EU3: Complete, or EU3: Chronicles.

well, thing is my comp is pretty new..

8192mb ram
gtx 465
2.9ghz i7

only precarious thing I have is my monitor, i'm running the game @ 2048x1152.

but I will try those settings anyway, any tips?

You should be able to run the game easily on that system. You should never have memory problems with that amount of RAM either. Perhaps there is an anti-virus program which interferes with the game? If it gets triggered on a game file, weird things can happen

Just so you know, the game only utilizes one core of your processor, that might be the problem. It has four cores, but I didn't look up much else as it's kind of late for me.

A few questions of my own for once.

- Is it possible to have the AI petition a human emperor to join HRE?
- What makes an AI nation add a province to the Empire?
- What requirements are there for an AI Emperor to accept a nation into the Empire, human or AI?

A few questions of my own for once.

- Is it possible to have the AI petition a human emperor to join HRE?
- What makes an AI nation add a province to the Empire?
- What requirements are there for an AI Emperor to accept a nation into the Empire, human or AI?

Let me re-phrase that. Is the Wiki still correct in that these things are sadly, unlikely to impossible?

As far as I know, the AI will not add provinces to the HRE (and thus not join the HRE as a country). The key is the "ai_will_do=0" part of the province decision triggers.

It has everything to do with it. You only get conquistadors/explorers when your nation historically got them. You should've probably set it to "event" instead of "historical". It lets you play with both fictional and historical leaders, IIRC.

What nation are you? Forming Spain should give you a nigh-endless pool of both.

Im playing England and it's around the 1450s. So will they cone soon or do I have to wait 50 years or so.

For sure this is the last time I play with that setting.

I just found out about the combined arms bonus, and I saw that the ratio for western Europe is 50% cavalry. Does this mean 50% as many cavalry as infantry, so 12 infantry / 6 cavalry, or just that the army can't have more than 50% cavalry total, so 6 infantry / 6 cavalry? Also, say that 6 inf /6 cav gives the combined arms bonus. If I get into a battle and the first tick of damage makes me lose 1 infantry and 0 cavalry, does that mean I lose the bonus, or is it based on the # of units? I guess it'd just be simpler to ask how many infantry and cavalry I should put together in a western army.

I just found out about the combined arms bonus, and I saw that the ratio for western Europe is 50% cavalry. Does this mean 50% as many cavalry as infantry, so 12 infantry / 6 cavalry, or just that the army can't have more than 50% cavalry total, so 6 infantry / 6 cavalry? Also, say that 6 inf /6 cav gives the combined arms bonus. If I get into a battle and the first tick of damage makes me lose 1 infantry and 0 cavalry, does that mean I lose the bonus, or is it based on the # of units? I guess it'd just be simpler to ask how many infantry and cavalry I should put together in a western army.

It means you must have less than 50% cavalry in your army.
6 inf / 6 cav won't give you the combined arms bonus.
you also lose the bonus if there is less infantery than cavalry in your army at any time (it is based on the actual men in your army).

It means you must have less than 50% cavalry in your army.
6 inf / 6 cav won't give you the combined arms bonus.
you also lose the bonus if there is less infantery than cavalry in your army at any time (it is based on the actual men in your army).

To clarify more detailed, 6/5 WILL work, but as soon as you lose 1000 men (which happens a lot sooner than 1000 cav) then the combined arms bonus is lost.

How do I know if I have to cross a river when attacking? In many provinces, rivers are shown flowing right through the province and not along a border.

If your path of attack to the enemy unit crosses a river, then you get the penalty. So, if a river flows along the top right of a province, and you attack from the province southwards, you do not get a penalty. If you attack NE you do. If you attack N or E, this will depend on how large the river part is. If you cross it, then you get the penalty.

I feel it sometimes hard to decide, where the river flows. Take Albania (here is a screenshot I found in another thread), for example. Do I have to cross the river from Bitola to Albania or will the army turn south and go around the source of the river?

In cases where there is no army in the destination province (e.g. for planning purposes) it is sometimes impossible to say where the enemy would be. For example, I would not have guessed that an army in Vlore is south of the river, as seen in above mentioned image).