• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How early should one Westernize?
Pretty much as soon as you simultaneously meet all the requirements. (Though watch out for the civil order problems arising out of your nobility's desire to not modernize the army.)

How do you get a leader with an administrative skill of 7?
Luck, unless you're a Republic, in which case you can skew the odds in your favour by selecting the "Bureaucratic" candidate.

Do you need a Feudal Monarchy before a Republic?
No. The lowest-tech Republic is the Noble Republic (govt. 10), which you can switch to from a Despotic Monarchy.

(Though watch out for the civil order problems arising out of your nobility's desire to not modernize the army.)

Deepending on how far you got to go you should just accept their demands and get the -2 RR that comes with it. This will give you a modifier for 10 years that will make you unable to modernize your military, but if you westernized as soon as possible, even from oriental(eastern european) tech, you still have at least 33 years worth of waiting to get your centralization slider to -5 to modernize(not counting lucky events). More if you're coming from Moslim or lower tech. Theres no reason to fight them in the mean time, it doesn't stop further westernization and it gives you -2 RR till you're ready to modernize.

Pretty much as soon as you simultaneously meet all the requirements. (Though watch out for the civil order problems arising out of your nobility's desire to not modernize the army.)

Luck, unless you're a Republic, in which case you can skew the odds in your favour by selecting the "Bureaucratic" candidate.

No. The lowest-tech Republic is the Noble Republic (govt. 10), which you can switch to from a Despotic Monarchy.

Thing is, I'm currently an Empire (Byzantine) and I need to Westernize fast. Yet my current monarch and his heir are both at 4 Admin Skill, way lower than I need for Westernizationg.

I can't switch to a Noble Republic right now, I guess I need another government form.

Thing is, I'm currently an Empire (Byzantine) and I need to Westernize fast. Yet my current monarch and his heir are both at 4 Admin Skill, way lower than I need for Westernizationg.

I can't switch to a Noble Republic right now, I guess I need another government form.

Westernization requirements don't change w/ government. The only thing republics do is give you more chances at better monarchs. And you only need a admin 6 monarch to westernize, admin 7 is for modernizing your military.

Make your monarch a unit leader, increases his chance to die. :D

Deepending on how far you got to go you should just accept their demands and get the -2 RR that comes with it. This will give you a modifier for 10 years that will make you unable to modernize your military, but if you westernized as soon as possible, even from oriental(eastern european) tech, you still have at least 33 years worth of waiting to get your centralization slider to -5 to modernize(not counting lucky events). More if you're coming from Moslim or lower tech. Theres no reason to fight them in the mean time, it doesn't stop further westernization and it gives you -2 RR till you're ready to modernize.

This. I don't understand what problems people have against accepting, it only delays you for ten years. (Oh no! The precious ten years! In a four hundred year game!)

Wow, really? Don't let that stop you! http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000506.htm

Having a .rar file is like putting a bunch of stuff in a box and then taping it up. 7-zip is a box opener so you can get all the stuff out.

I downloaded 7-Zip went to Edit > select all > Extract, selected the EUIII folder and selected yes to all. But I get this error message "0 Error: Can not delete output file C\Program Files \Paradox Interactive\ Europa Universalis III\eu3game.exe"

I've tried selecting "auto rename" instead of "yes to all" but get a similar message.

The reason I can't play the game without the patch is because I have the bug which creates bloated save game files and makes the game unplayable after about 100 years.

I downloaded 7-Zip went to Edit > select all > Extract, selected the EUIII folder and selected yes to all. But I get this error message "0 Error: Can not delete output file C\Program Files \Paradox Interactive\ Europa Universalis III\eu3game.exe"

I've tried selecting "auto rename" instead of "yes to all" but get a similar message.

The reason I can't play the game without the patch is because I have the bug which creates bloated save game files and makes the game unplayable after about 100 years.

Use WinRAR. It's a lot more user friendly than 7-zip, in my experience.

What's the best way to do centre of trade? I will send a ton of merchants there. And I may get up to level 5 but after a fee years I lose my position through all of them. Even though I have it on green for priority.

Well make sure your sliders are right and you have a good compete chance. Usually I don't bother unless I have about 60% or higher.

Also be aware that your chance will fluctuate from what other nations do and what you do yourself. Infamy will lower it, so will holding an uncored CoT, among other things.

In HTTT (Mac version, if that matters), is there a way to turn off the huge list of navies (I assume) that shows up when I hover over a water province?

Yes, clear the map cache (\EU3-path\map\cache). Restart your game, quit (you have just rebuild your mapcache, the checksum is wrong), restart again -> Problem solved!

Does someone know when Paradox will release a new patch, that ain't beta?

when it's done... there is no release date for the official (non-beta) patch

Patches come precisely when Johan means them to. Which usually means they're going to be a good bit late so Paradox can reward customers it knows pay for their games (come on, you know you love the fact that there's no DRM in PI games)