• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, hordes are hard to play, and hard to play against as a llow-tech country.

Did you let an uncontested core on foreign-culture-group soil time out?

Thanks for your reply. I am not quite sure what you mean however. Do u mean I probably lost a core in some foreign province for leaving that province unconquered for too long?

This is in refering to my question some posts above:
Huge Hit on Prestige out of nowhere?
I just observed that my nation (Teutonic Order) took a huge hit on prestige from around 90 to 50 without any notification. Checking the situation the only difference to the recent past seems to be that my ally Sweden got a Regency council and my alliance with Sweden was broken.
Any ideas what was going on in the background here?

Thanks for your reply. I am not quite sure what you mean however. Do u mean I probably lost a core in some foreign province for leaving that province unconquered for too long?

Yes, I assume that's what happened. Isn't there also some kind of Prestige hit if you dishonour a CtA?

hmm, that could be true indeed. In any case it seems to be something "serious" due to the huge hit.

However, there was no notification (I have them switched on all). Besides, I dont know which core this could have been. Wasnt aware of any (and for sure would have taken opportunity of in case I knew).

On the other hand, forgetting to answer a CtA can surely happen in the heat of battle. There isnt any notification, is there? Maybe this was reason ... :)

This is in refering to my question some posts above:
Huge Hit on Prestige out of nowhere?
I just observed that my nation (Teutonic Order) took a huge hit on prestige from around 90 to 50 without any notification. Checking the situation the only difference to the recent past seems to be that my ally Sweden got a Regency council and my alliance with Sweden was broken.
Any ideas what was going on in the background here?

Last edited:
ok, a couple of quick questions. This is my first EU3 game. No settings were changed. I have taken Brandenburg to be the dominant power by 1662. Became HRE in 1500, Prussia in 1520 and still am HRE in 1697. All techs are at 31. I have 20 vassals most of whom are among my 27 allies.

What are the prerequisites for a grain depot? All the other unique buildings have lit up on queue.

What are the prerequisites for each government type? I can't get absolute monarchy or anything other than administrative monarchy, despotic monarchy or administrative republic. Is this a slider thing?

What are the prerequisites for a grain depot? All the other unique buildings have lit up on queue.
The tooltip says Production Tech 31, and that it can only be built in a core province with Grain as its trade good.

What are the prerequisites for each government type? I can't get absolute monarchy or anything other than administrative monarchy, despotic monarchy or administrative republic. Is this a slider thing?
You can't just switch between any old pair of governments. You can only make the switches the game allows for your current government; to get from Feudal to Absolute, you'll need to go via something else. There's a diagram on the EU3 wiki.

Oh, and becoming an Empire is something you do by National Decision "Adopt Imperial Administration", rather than by using the government change window.

The tooltip says Production Tech 31, and that it can only be built in a core province with Grain as its trade good.

You can't just switch between any old pair of governments. You can only make the switches the game allows for your current government; to get from Feudal to Absolute, you'll need to go via something else. There's a diagram on the EU3 wiki.

Oh, and becoming an Empire is something you do by National Decision "Adopt Imperial Administration", rather than by using the government change window.

I have many core provinces with grain. The green light is on but in no province will the building light up to build.

Thanks for the government tip. I will check it out.

I know empire is a national decision. The option disappeared and has not returned. Is being the HRE stopping this option?

I tried that, but I get the message "Access to blahblahblah was denied" when I try to save, and no further detail.

Ok go back a folder. so you see the entire EU3 Folder, or you can do paradox if you want. right click. go to properties, then security. go down to Users. And on the bottom window itll have a bunch of check marks. edit it for the USERS and give full control and check all of them. Save, and then you should be able to edit settings.txt

I know empire is a national decision. The option disappeared and has not returned. Is being the HRE stopping this option?
No, HRE membership or holding the HRE throne has no effect.

What's your current government? You have to be Feudal Monarchy or Despotic Monarchy to take the Imperial Administration decision.

How to join the HRE?

How to join the HRE?
Use the provincial decision "Join the Holy Roman Empire" on a continuous chain of your cored provinces leading from an HRE province (not necessarily yours) to your capital.

The emperor doesn't have to say yes, IIRC.

Use the provincial decision "Join the Holy Roman Empire" on a continuous chain of your cored provinces leading from an HRE province (not necessarily yours) to your capital.

The emperor doesn't have to say yes, IIRC.

The emperor will only say yes if you are smaller than him and have good relations.