• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
With the new random events plethora, it's practically impossible to go Plutocracy with a monarchy (not sure with the Timurids).
It's perfectly possible, as long as your stability cost is small relative to your economy.

There is at most one culture union per culture group, and the Dutch and Flemish cultures are part of the Germanic culture group, whose culture union is Germany.

Actually this isn't the case. Any country can be a culture union, just look at the Papal State's Kingdom of God decision.

Of course that doesn't change the fact that the Netherlands isn't inherently a union.

Actually this isn't the case. Any country can be a culture union, just look at the Papal State's Kingdom of God decision.
I stand corrected, thank you :)

Someone told me that after hre-emperorship is hereditary you can switch to a republic and still inherit? Is this true?

No. Hereditary rule is the same as regular rule except there's no electors. It should also break upon a female inheriting your throne unless something changed in the patch.

Do not change to a republic with Erbkaisertum active. It tends to make REB the emperor, which kind of screws up your game.

No. Hereditary rule is the same as regular rule except there's no electors. It should also break upon a female inheriting your throne unless something changed in the patch.

Do not change to a republic with Erbkaisertum active. It tends to make REB the emperor, which kind of screws up your game.

I was also told when it's hereditary gender doesn't matter.

Three quick questions:

(1) What does it mean to "loot" a province? Clicking "scorch the earth"? Do I get money for that? When are these advisable?
(2) Why is it that sometimes when a country refuses my merchants, I never get the "Open Markets" diplomacy option in the list of diplomacy options, no matter how high i get my relations with them? How do I get back into those markets?
(3) What does the province decision "embrace culture" do besides cost 2 magistrates?

1. You loot automatically when you occupy a province (ie: win a siege). You get a paltry sum of ducats.

2. Open Markets is not the same thing as reversing an embargo. There are only two ways to reverse an embargo, a hard and easy way. The hard way is to suck up to the nation, wasting ducats on building relations and hoping they lift the embargo. The easy way to go to war with them and win or white peace. Open Markets means to open CoT to nations that you just met, like discovering Malacca as Spain and then opening your markets to them.

3. It removes any cores from other nations in that province.

Three quick questions:

(1) What does it mean to "loot" a province? Clicking "scorch the earth"? Do I get money for that? When are these advisable?
(2) Why is it that sometimes when a country refuses my merchants, I never get the "Open Markets" diplomacy option in the list of diplomacy options, no matter how high i get my relations with them? How do I get back into those markets?
(3) What does the province decision "embrace culture" do besides cost 2 magistrates?

1.An army will automatically loot a unfriendly province its in, rebles will loot everything. It gives it some negative tax/growth modifiers and I think you get some cash(not certain, maybe that was EUII). Scorching the Earth is something different, it lowers the provinces support limit drastically alone with tax/production/growth/etc. This is best used when fighting a much bigger power with a penchant to seend doomstacks your way. Scorch two or three provinces deep along their border w/ you and let attrition make the war painful for them. If possible swoop in when the odds are more favorible and turn the tide.

2.War. Winning a war(or getting a white peace) with a country that has embargoed you will automatically life that embargo. Luckly theres a CB when they do embargo you so you can teach them a lesson. The "Open Markets" diplomatic option is only avaliable in markets that are closed to you at game start, like the Indian or Chinese ones. War is a viable option to get those markets open to, but its usually easier to bribe them to +50 relations and ask them to open them. Once open they're always open and that option goes away. In the advent of an embargo down the line war is the only way to open them again.

3.Removes any cores in that province from nations that no longer exist. Good for getting rid of nationalist rebels.

Haven't played being emperor of the hre for a while, how do I get cores in the empire except from PU? Will I get cores from imperial liberation CB or what?

You get cores from Imperial Ban and Imperial Liberation only if the country you take them from is outside the HRE. If the country is in the HRE, you should return the lands to the previous owner.

PU's give you cores, then there are conquer and vassalize missions, claims on our rivals and border disputes, as in normal games. The penalties for conquering without cause are just painful.