• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When you hover over your ducat balance on the top of your screen, where it tells you your monthly and yearly income, does that include the money you are making from trade or is that tax only? If not, how does the money it says you are making from trade get to you?

Money that you make from Trade, Gold and Tarriffs is monthly income, which goes directly into technology investment. Military maintenance is paid from monthly and yearly taxes. The only way to transfer monthly income to your treasury is to mint.

The number that you see at the top of the screen is the balance between military expenses, monthly taxes and minting, and will virtually always be negative. More detailed numbers can be seen by going to the budget screen and mousing over the items.

Orly? is that the exact different between the two then?

Administrative Monarchy
Administrative Efficiency (meaning the cooldown time between slider moves): 1.15
Policy Minimum: Centralization -3
Policy Maximum: None
Magistrates: +0.90
Special: Production efficiency +10%

Administrative Republic
Administrative Efficiency: 1.05
Policy Minimum: Centralization -3
Policy Maximum: None
Magistrates: +0.90
Special: Trade efficiency +10%, Heretic tolerance +1, Heathen tolerance +1, no royal marriages
Election Cycle: 4 years

How do you guys do sliders? And what ways should i try and work for. I know everytime i try it i lose stability, is that always going to happen, or am i doing something wrong. Can someone post a picture of ideal sliders.

Just go full innovtive, free subjects, centralization, free trade, quality, (land or naval you decide yourself..but naval give more tariffs).

Edits: plutocracy full as well. Offensive or defensive you decide yourself as well, but I would go offensive.

Like anything, "ideal sliders" depends on the type of nation you're playing. Catholic Burgundy will probably want quite different sliders to Protestant Venice, for instance.

How do you guys do sliders? And what ways should i try and work for. I know everytime i try it i lose stability, is that always going to happen, or am i doing something wrong. Can someone post a picture of ideal sliders.

Any time you move a slider in a direction one of three possible events will occur, depending on the slider and the direction. Many of the events cause a stability hit. Centralizing has a 2/3 chance of causing revolts.

I'm playing as Byzantium and I'm on my way to capturing Astrakhan from GH. I'm not interested in expanding into Russia myself for anything else than securing my border (I'm going for India by land) so I'm going to give the Tartar provinces to my vassal (Crimea).

Do I get some kind of merchant placement chance bonus when trading in a CoT owned by my vassal? I have quite high BB so I would have no chance of competing in there if it was considered foreign. Both I and Crimea are in the Hansa so giving Astrakhan to Crimea would just drain Alexandria (mine) of eastern Turkey and give me nothing, no? Destroying Astrakhan would give most of the trade to Novgorod and just maybe Georgia to Alexandria?

Any advice?

I'm playing as Byzantium and I'm on my way to capturing Astrakhan from GH. I'm not interested in expanding into Russia myself for anything else than securing my border (I'm going for India by land) so I'm going to give the Tartar provinces to my vassal (Crimea).

Do I get some kind of merchant placement chance bonus when trading in a CoT owned by my vassal? I have quite high BB so I would have no chance of competing in there if it was considered foreign. Both I and Crimea are in the Hansa so giving Astrakhan to Crimea would just drain Alexandria (mine) of eastern Turkey and give me nothing, no? Destroying Astrakhan would give most of the trade to Novgorod and just maybe Georgia to Alexandria?

Any advice?

No bonus to trade in a vassals cot that I know of.

You're going to want centralization and innovative for future westernization.

Centralization is always the best option, no matter the circumstance. Decentralization has no positive effects. However, if you're full central or close to it and desperately need a good effect, you can spare one move on decentralizing for the +1 stab hit or other awesome events you get with moving there.

Ok lets say we are playing as Timurds going for Mughals

Go full aristocracy right at the start, for the general shock bonus. Make sure you are narrowminded enough to enact all your religious decisions that grant missionaries. Then Centralise and go inovative to westernise. Then go full centralise to modernise your military to Latin. Move Free subjects if you get the chance in events. That should last you till about 1600...

Generally:
I would say you should avoid going inovative if you dont have to westernise. It is worse tha free subjects for tech, hurts your missionary gain, and hurts you if you are catholic. Don't go narrowminded much just stay near the middle. Inovative -3 is needed to westernise, and also the useful amount to have if you want to go protestant. If you have enough religious decisions/holy places to grant you positive missionary gain and you are not catholic then you should go full inovative.

Aristocracy is better than plutocracy IMO. The shock bonus and cheaper cav are really usefull for the first 200 years, and most nations start aristocratic anyway.

Naval is better than land if you are going colonial. Otherwise leave largely alone. Naval has become even more important as they have raised ship costs.

Free Trade is nearly always better than Mercantalism. Mercantilism is ok if you want the straights trading bonuses, or you are a merchant republic. however unless you are a major trader ignore the slider.

Offensive-Deffensive is pretty meh. Defensive is probably more usefull later on when sieges become more painful. Offensive can be good when you are land/offensive/quality. But leave this slider largely alone till later on.

Quality is better than quantity unless you are a TINY nation with tiny manpower. Doesn't make any historical sense but actually it is better for russia to go quality and the netherlands (say) to go qunatity. As manpower is rarely a problem you should always go quality.

Centralisation and Free subjects are always best. That's why they are so often limited by government types.

Last edited:
Go full aristocracy right at the start, for the general shock bonus. Then Centralise and go inovative to westernise. Then go full centralise to modernise your military to Latin. Move Free subjects if you get the chance in events. That should last you till about 1600...

So no trade income at all then?

I get he is playing timurids but still.

So no trade income at all then?

I get he is playing timurids but still.

With the new random events plethora, it's practically impossible to go Plutocracy with a monarchy (not sure with the Timurids). Personally, the Aristocracy-Plutocracy slider is not my priority, I get to it once I have full Free Trade, and the other sliders in positions I want them (free subjects, narrowminded as needed, centralised).

I personally prefer defensive over offensive, but I never move those sliders (only via event) until the very end game.

Can ships run through blockades? I was blockading whole England wit my Dutch fleet. Lots of Galleons and Wargalleons in the southern part. However some Brit fleet consisting largely out of transport just sailed thru 3 sea zones from Biskaje to the port of London without engaging my ships at all. The Brits had the naval maneuver idea and my Galleons are dead slow, but still is this possible?

Anyhow I started making Frigates to assist my Wargalleons. But England decided wisely to stay out of the next colonial war hehe

Can ships run through blockades? I was blockading whole England wit my Dutch fleet. Lots of Galleons and Wargalleons in the southern part. However some Brit fleet consisting largely out of transport just sailed thru 3 sea zones from Biskaje to the port of London without engaging my ships at all. The Brits had the naval maneuver idea and my Galleons are dead slow, but still is this possible?

Anyhow I started making Frigates to assist my Wargalleons. But England decided wisely to stay out of the next colonial war hehe

Should not be able to, but sometimes if three nations are all at war with one another, it won't consider the one enemy fleet hostile. Happened to me recently w/ Japan and Ming. Only thing I can think of.