• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In this order:
Reduce any inflation you get(comes from minting). This increases the prices for everything, including research.

Increase income. If you're not already start trading where its viable. Done right trading can outstrip all other sources of income combined. Even for a big player like France its an important source of income. Buildings are also important, the production line will increase both production and taxes in your provinces.

Focus your research. Theres certain point in the tech race that are really important to be the first to. Like you learned w/ Burgundy Land tech 5 is a boost as you get better infantry. 11 and 13 also garner new infantry and are good to reach first. But the most important early game is Land Tech 18. In addition in introducing muskets for your infantry you get Tactics 1.0(where you had .5 before). This means you take less casulties from battles, thus can stay in the war longer and fight more effectivly, especially when everyone else is still on Tactics .5. Theres other important points in the other techs, Trade 7 opens up the Quest for the new world NI allowing you to explore, Govt 4, 9, and 11 give you new slots for a NI, some of which are really strong like Drill.

Become Free Subjects and Innovative in your slider moves. Both reduce tech costs.

But just keep you income high and inflation low, thats basically the best idea. Theres a NI further down the tech line that will decrease tech costs but I hardly ever take it because by that point I'm out pacing everyone any ways.

Excellent advice! Thank you! I'll consider all these suggestions. Right now im doing 0 minting so I know that to be good, my monthly income is at -6 but my annual is at 152 so im good. I just didn't know if i could invest even MORE into research. Spending on research seems capped

Excellent advice! Thank you! I'll consider all these suggestions. Right now im doing 0 minting so I know that to be good, my monthly income is at -6 but my annual is at 152 so im good. I just didn't know if i could invest even MORE into research. Spending on research seems capped

It is, you can't spend more then 100% of your income. ;)

France is a good start, it shows you how to live off your yearly income and not the monthly. Thats not always possible but its the goal for any country.

Theres a few way tech does get sped up(and slowed down) that you can't really directly control.

Monarch. The higher his stats the more he puts into tech, military obviously affects the military research, admin govt and stability iirc.

Being behind in tech. You'll get a "neighbor bonus" if you lag behind, its not enough to zoom you to the top but it mainly keeps the AI competitive.

Conversly you can out tech yourself. If you tech to fast in say Land Tech, till time 'catches up' with you you'll get increased tech costs. You don't have to stop researching, it just gets less effecient. Again this is mainly to keep the AI somewhat on par.

The last you can affect somewhat, but its expensive. Manufactories. Universities, Weapons Manufactories, Naval, etc. will all give a +5 ducat to certain feilds of research. But they're rather expensive(about 950 ducats minimum) and really only come into play latter in the game.

It is, you can't spend more then 100% of your income. ;)

France is a good start, it shows you how to live off your yearly income and not the monthly. Thats not always possible but its the goal for any country.

Theres a few way tech does get sped up(and slowed down) that you can't really directly control.

Monarch. The higher his stats the more he puts into tech, military obviously affects the military research, admin govt and stability iirc.

Being behind in tech. You'll get a "neighbor bonus" if you lag behind, its not enough to zoom you to the top but it mainly keeps the AI competitive.

Conversly you can out tech yourself. If you tech to fast in say Land Tech, till time 'catches up' with you you'll get increased tech costs. You don't have to stop researching, it just gets less effecient. Again this is mainly to keep the AI somewhat on par.

The last you can affect somewhat, but its expensive. Manufactories. Universities, Weapons Manufactories, Naval, etc. will all give a +5 ducat to certain feilds of research. But they're rather expensive(about 950 ducats minimum) and really only come into play latter in the game.

That explains every question I had about research. Thanks LordLeto!

I have another set of questions im curious about after playing for a good few years more. I know im playing as France, and playing on very easy difficulty, but I must say im finally super-hooked on EU3! Just had one crazy war with Bohemia :)

My questions are:

1.) Infamy, or as I think some of the forums call "BB"? Anyway, it's 109.35/60.16. I'm guessing this is pretty bad? As France should I care less? What kind of consequences will I pay?

2.) Does Infamy just recover over time? I put my mouse over the score and it shows all the factors contributing to regaining it.

3.) I've been in two wars involving Bohemia now. I have won both and fought very hard with many casualties to gain only 3-4 provinces per war. Once peace is made, Bohemia has constantly sent me events called "A Formal Request". If i say "screw you" I lose 5 prestige and 1 stab (which I think hurts pretty badly), OR I can give them a province back and gain 5 prestige. I notice if you say screw you, they constantly stack this event on you, but if I give up provinces they still blitz me with this event and by the time you know it im giving everything I fought so hard for back. What gives? Such a bad stab score hurts pretty bad, but should I care as France?

4.) Lastly, is there any way to increase my odds of NOT having my spies detected after a mission? I'm starting to learn how valuable they are :)

Thanks guys! I'm starting to FINALLY grasp this game

I have another set of questions im curious about after playing for a good few years more. I know im playing as France, and playing on very easy difficulty, but I must say im finally super-hooked on EU3! Just had one crazy war with Bohemia :)

Good to hear. Welcome to the club!

1.) Infamy, or as I think some of the forums call "BB"? Anyway, it's 109.35/60.16. I'm guessing this is pretty bad? As France should I care less? What kind of consequences will I pay?

Depending on the version you are playing, Infamy is either bad, or very bad. You want it to be as low as possible. Preferably under ten, certainly under the limit which the tooltip gives you. Most of the negative events can also be seen on the tooltip, but in general it means higher revoltrisk, lower legitimacy, and ruined relations with all other nations, to represent the fact that they fear you. This makes it easier for them to declare war on you, and harder to get any sort of diplomatic deal. For every 10 infamy, you will lose 1 point of relations per year. This adds up, quickly.

In the later versions of the game you will also get hit with random events that cost you prestige, stability, and legitimacy once you go over the limit. Once your relations with the papal controller and the pope get bad enough, you'll be excommunicated, which gives severe maluses to prestige and legitimacy and gives every christian country a casus belli on you.

2.) Does Infamy just recover over time? I put my mouse over the score and it shows all the factors contributing to regaining it.

To manage infamy, build an embassy, hire a diplomat as an advisor, and hope for some good events. To avoid gaining infamy, play strategically. Declare war only using the proper casus belli, and don't just randomly annex nations if you could force vassalization on them, or offer them vassalization diplomatically for a much lower cost.
Essentially, you need to wait it out.

3.) I've been in two wars involving Bohemia now. I have won both and fought very hard with many casualties to gain only 3-4 provinces per war. Once peace is made, Bohemia has constantly sent me events called "A Formal Request". If i say "screw you" I lose 5 prestige and 1 stab (which I think hurts pretty badly), OR I can give them a province back and gain 5 prestige. I notice if you say screw you, they constantly stack this event on you, but if I give up provinces they still blitz me with this event and by the time you know it im giving everything I fought so hard for back. What gives? Such a bad stab score hurts pretty bad, but should I care as France?

You should always care about stability and prestige. Prestige should always be as high as possible. It literally affects everything in the game and makes everything easier. It gives higher morale, more diplomatic skill, and it will give you a greater chance to form and inherit personal unions, among many other things.

Stability is pretty self-evident. It primarily refuses revolt risk and increases tax income. Revolt risk might not be a problem, but +3 stability means +30% taxes. Centainly in the early part of the game, that is worthwhile. More taxes also mean faster investments in technology, which leads to long-term benefits. Keep it at +3 whenever possible, and raise it ASAP to run the most hassle-free and efficient game possible.

There are several ways to avoid this event, which is caused by the fact that you illegitimately claimed provinces of the HRE which are not 'cores'.
- You can use magistrates to enact a provincial decision to take each province out of the HRE, which ruins your relations with the current emperor, but will end the events.
- You can stay at war. The event will only fire when at peace. This means 'gaming' a gameplay mechanic, but is useful if you intend to become emperor yourself.
- You can only grab provinces which are 'cores'. A core represents a legitimate historical or diplomatic claim to a province, and being a core province will have many benefits, one of which is the emperor will stay off your back.

4.) Lastly, is there any way to increase my odds of NOT having my spies detected after a mission? I'm starting to learn how valuable they are :)

Detection, success and defence depends on relative spy efficiency, which is determined by your domestic policy sliders. You can also get a spy master advisor, and there are several other moves you can make.
Move towards Mercantilism to get more spies.
Move towards Centralization to get more efficient spies
Move towards Free Subjects to better defend against spies.
The idea National Spy Defense will also help

Last edited:
Playing connaught, I know you get tariffs from overseas provinces but my question is do overseas cored provinces (fully grown not colonies) contribute to the yearly one time ducats that you get on january the first? It's important to know for me as I got low income as an early minor and going to colonise.

Playing connaught, I know you get tariffs from overseas provinces but my question is do overseas cored provinces (fully grown not colonies) contribute to the yearly one time ducats that you get on january the first? It's important to know for me as I got low income as an early minor and going to colonise.

They do contribute, but there is no way to get rid of the -90% 'Distant oversees' modifier. Basically, taxes from oversees provinces are worthless. What you want are Tariffs, which replace taxes for oversees provinces. Tarrifs are a combination of Production and Taxes in one. Make sure you have enough big and light ships to protect your trading empire though, or you won't get any tarrif income at all. Tarrif income is monthly though, so you won't get the same yearly boost as you get from census taxes.
The best way to improve tarrifs is to grab colonies which have valuable trade goods such as sugar, spices, slaves, ivory or coffee, and to take the viceroy National Idea for a +33% boost.

As a budding colonial empire, your best bet is to mint and trade until you can live off tarrifs unfortunately.

Last edited:
What should I be doing after selecting a nation?

I have a big problem with deciding on what to do or focus on at the start. I sometimes use the mission as a goal and try to complete those aims. I feel quite a bit lost at the start and would like some tips that could give a better sense of getting more involved in the game and being able to set goals and complete those within reason.

I've probably played a dozen nations for only 15 years max and I feel like I am never doing as well I think I should be doing. :(

Ralfi: Talk with me on msn if you want or irc.

Give me either of yours there and I can help you.

And I responded.

I am only on quakenet server.

Dunno where paradox fans have other channels. etc.

What should I be doing after selecting a nation?
I've probably played a dozen nations for only 15 years max and I feel like I am never doing as well I think I should be doing. :(

This is a very difficult question without any context, but here goes.

First, think of what sort of game you want. If you want to conquer an empire, Castille is a good choice. If you want to explore and colonize the America's, go for Portugal. If you want a peaceful trading game, pick one of the minors in the HRE, such as Holland (tricky) or Aachen.

Each nation has different 'domestic policy' sliders which determine what a nation is good at, and a different strategic position. England has a naval focus, and is relatively safe from invasion, while France and Burgundy field massive armies and can smack everyone on the continent around at will.

Your first few games, you won't do everything right. The game is complex and difficult at first, but if you take your time, turn the speed down, and allow yourself to learn from mistakes, you'll get the hang of it.

Two general tips:
* Browse the EU3wiki for strategy and country guides. The advice is outdated in some places, but it is still an excellent reference.

* Before you click a button, hold your mouse still for a second or so. Almost everything in the game has a tooltip, which tells you what the effect of a certain policy or action will be. Most things are a trade-off. For example, if you push the slider towards Naval, army regiments will become more expensive, and weaker. Push it towards land, and the opposite happens. Once you know this, you can make a choice what to do. It might be the wrong one in hindsight, but that is experience.

Finally, you can always post a thread in the main forum about your current game, asking for advice on what to do.

Last edited:
Hidden Wolf, thank you so much for your detailed answers! This all makes a lot of sense! I'm sure i'll be back to this thread later today with more questions. Right now i'll try to handle things more peacefully and not make every nation pay for call to arms :)

Also, consider starting in one of the later scenario's. If you start a game as France or Austria in a ±16-1700 timeframe, you will have a powerful, already built-up country to play with. Many of the minor nations will be gone from the map as well, reducing the risk of a minor land grab turning into a world war.

Thanks for the great advice, HiddenWolf!

I hope you don't mind if I ask some specific questions.

I get overwhelmed with big nations with so many provinces but starting with a small nation is also hard because it seems to take forever to get anywhere. Is there a nation that has a reasonable balance that lets me focus on things one at a time?

I rarely touched the sliders. When is it good to move them?

And also major thanks to Chronicler for all the amazing advice and getting me started with the game and for answering all the questions I had with great patience! :D

Try Portugal, it has few provinces, and a major ally in England. Just keep friendly with Castille and England, and nobody will attack you. You can use your Navy to explore and expand, while keeping enemies away from your home provinces.

You are reasonably rich, and have a large navy. Their missions are generally peaceful and useful. Grab a little of North Africa if you feel like it, otherwise, head for the Caribbean when it becomes possible.

You should move a slider at game start, and then whenever it is possible (every 10 years or so) until you have your country set up the way you like. Take your time to consider the benefits of each option, then see what happens. As Portugal, going fully Naval, Narrowminded and Quality is a good start. Also, always increase centralization until you hit the limit (a red line). Don't cross those limits as it will increase revolt risk significantly.