• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As a general rule, is taking Sus worth it for Castille?

It is a 1-base-tax province, but it produces gold, which is usually a good thing.
Taking it would mean taking ifna though, to connect it to the sea. This is another 1-tax province, producing fish.

TBH, Sus is the only reason I ever took anything in North Africa. It's quite valuable, IMHO, and Ifni when it cores is a good staging point for colonial ventures in South Africa, and then by extension India.

Edit: As a general rule, ignore base tax for overseas provinces. The tariffs and overseas modifiers will render them useless anyway.

TBH, Sus is the only reason I ever took anything in North Africa. It's quite valuable, IMHO, and Ifni when it cores is a good staging point for colonial ventures in South Africa, and then by extension India.

Edit: As a general rule, ignore base tax for overseas provinces. The tariffs and overseas modifiers will render them useless anyway.

The thing that confuses me is that Tangiers is not an oversees province to Castille, but Sus is. Is there a distance limit, where everything within a range of your capital or core provinces is treated as non-oversees?

edit: I also usually take the gold provinces from Songhai, but how about Ivory and Slaves, worth it?

I am playing as Taira Daimyo and have Fujiwara as a vassal, how much does it cost per province to annex? Is it the same for Daimyos and normal countries?

I'm still having a lot of trouble with army composition, like the general infantry/cavalry/artillery ratio. Any tips on this? Although I know it's pretty subjective and the "ideal" composition changes based on tech levels. Also I've noticed people mentioning a lot pure cavalry stacks for a mobile harassment while your other armies are caught up in sieging, and to run down fleeing enemy armies. Is this tactically sound or are you putting yourself at a disadvantage, assuming the enemy army isn't severely demoralized before you attack, when you have no infantry or artillery in the stack? Would it be better putting some infantry in these stacks, even if they will be slower then?

For some reason, I cant transport troops onto ships. I have enough cogs but it still wont let me despite that. I also have enough regiments and I just left click on the troops and right click on the ships.

Are the cogs combined into one fleet? If they're in separate fleets, the game won't let you load a group of troops onto them, unless at least one fleet is equal to or greater in transport capacity than your army is in regiment size.

Is there a way to remove an unlawful province that you own from the Empire? I just acquired Aquilias (SP?) gold provinces as Venice and I'm afraid the Emperor is going to cause me a nationwide collapse with his constant "requests" to "liberate" my unlawful territory :mad:.

Is there a way to remove an unlawful province that you own from the Empire? I just acquired Aquilias (SP?) gold provinces as Venice and I'm afraid the Emperor is going to cause me a nationwide collapse with his constant "requests" to "liberate" my unlawful territory :mad:.

Yes. There is a provincial decision allowing to remove the province from the HRE. If exectuted the Emperor won't give a damn if you own the province or not. Nonetheless, I think the Emperor's level of influence has to be quite low to be able to use that decision. In my campaign, the Emperors are fortunately always in some 0 - 15% of influence so I've been able to remove from the HRE all the provinces I conquer in that area.

Thanks....of course having gotten this off of steam, logging in is not possible for Chronicles.....

And the beta patch, even though its 4 months old isn't released to Steam....SIGH

I really like this game but if all I can do is save 8 times, there is no use trying to learn the intricacies, is there?

Build a community of users much?

I had a similar issue with the resign - reload bug of 5.0. I gave up on that campaign and started a new one. Since then I mostly avoid reloading but if you have to, you just have to quit the whole game (not resigning) and reload. That way won't inflate your savegame file.

At the same time,. it's said that patch 5.1beta eliminates this problem. I also thought you couldn't use it if you have the game on Steam; but someone in this very same thread told me you can.

There is a recent version of the patch in this thread, that is also supposed to be savegame-compatible (not guaranteed)
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?545066-Beta-of-5.1-29th-June-2011

If you don't mind achievements, starting a new campaign or running the risk of having to re-install the game, you can try installing the patch on the game folders and starting the game through the launcher (eu3.exe) and MAYBE have a 5.1b running.

I'll try myself but only when I finish muy current campaign on 5.0.

I'm playing Byzantium as Orthodox and I have Reformed and Protestant spreading all over my (by now large) empire so I guess being orthodox does not prevent you from getting a lot of provinces converted as heresy spreads.

I'm still having a lot of trouble with army composition, like the general infantry/cavalry/artillery ratio. Any tips on this? Although I know it's pretty subjective and the "ideal" composition changes based on tech levels. Also I've noticed people mentioning a lot pure cavalry stacks for a mobile harassment while your other armies are caught up in sieging, and to run down fleeing enemy armies. Is this tactically sound or are you putting yourself at a disadvantage, assuming the enemy army isn't severely demoralized before you attack, when you have no infantry or artillery in the stack? Would it be better putting some infantry in these stacks, even if they will be slower then?

It depends on what version of the game you are playing. If you are playing DW, then you miss out on the Combined Arms bonus by fielding pure cavalry armies. In order to get the bonus you must keep cavalry at less than half your total force (early on, I use 6 inf/4 cav stacks). Also, cavalry and infantry move at the same speed on the map in DW, so there is no advantage in splitting your force.

Ideal army composition is situational. Avoid artillery if you need to move quickly, or just temporarily split the artillery into a separate group that can catch up to the main army when chasing. Maximize cavalry early in the game, but minimize them once you reach artillery. When infantry begin to greatly exceed cavalry in their fire bonus, the main purpose of cavalry (in the Western tech group) is basically to defend against AI cavalry charges on your flanks.

One important fact that was particularly enlightening to me is that artillery units lend half of their defense pips to the front line of infantry. They are also able to fire over the front line, increasing casualties inflicted on the enemy. Having an equal number of art/inf is effective later in the game, once you get higher defense artillery (starting with Chambered Demicannons). I usually set high defense infantry and artillery as my national units to minimize casualties. I personally like to use stacks of 8 inf / 8 art / 4 cav in the late game.

Last edited:
question: being embargoed all the time by the big three CoT's, the hansa, venice and genoa, I had some wars on them and they opened their cots but after some year they close them again, what can I do to keep them open, would 200 relations make them open them for sure?

Don't think so. Had ~200 relations and MA with the French for 100~200 years and they still occasionally closed their market to me...and then they opened it again...and closed it again...I guess they were slightly scared. Of Ulm. ^^

Is there any way to display country names of vassal countries on the DW map (like regular countries...)? I guess "no", but since hope dies last...

Sandmann said:
Playing Russia, as ortodox i will not get protestantism spreading right? If I went catholic as Russia I would get protestantism spreading right?

Spreading of protestantism (or reformed) in ortodox countries is possible. If I read the event file correctly, there must be a province of Protestant faith next to any of your provinces to fire the event.

Hello,
if I annex and then release Maya, what research group thei're going to have?

In the same tech group they were in when you annex them, so most likely "new world".

Is it ok to use guarantees to stop Le Blob from gobbling half of europe? In my game, with latest beta patch, im playing as Austria. Its 1430 and im HRE. France hasnt blobbed yet, but just took 1 province from genoa i think (the country between France and Milan). How do i stop it from going into the italian minors? I tried to fight it but its still too strong.

Is there some way to remove thr FOW? I tried the alt+21 keys and typed the "fow off" command in the console, but nothing much happens :(. I know it's cheating, but I want to know how well the AI is doing.

I'm playing the "Divine Wind" add-on.

I think it's "debug fow" in the console.

question: being embargoed all the time by the big three CoT's, the hansa, venice and genoa, I had some wars on them and they opened their cots but after some year they close them again, what can I do to keep them open, would 200 relations make them open them for sure?

Making an alliance with them pretty much keeps them open.
In my Papal game, I have monopolies in about 8 or so markets and was sending merchants to Andalucia when Castille up and closed the market to me. We had 150 relations before that so I think the only reason was I was becoming too strong in their market. I signed an alliance with them and within a month or 2, they reopened.