• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Question: So far playing I haven't done much in terms of personal unions. What are the methods of gaining a PU, and lets say as Austria, how do I go about manipulating the world so I get PUs I want? I checked the wiki for this info with no luck, and I was hoping to hear some of you guys' PU focused playstyle strategies. :)

Note you need to have a royal marriage with the target country.

Wait for the target country to have a low legitimacy heir or no heir at all, then claim the throne. You then immediately start a war with the claim throne casus belli, to forze the personal union you need something like 70+ war score depending on the size of the enemy country. Also don't forget to get relations over 0 or the personal union will break when your ruler dies.

Countries with more armies than you will insult you so be sure you have more armies than the country you whant to forze into a personal union.

Anyone know what the "Weaken rival trade league" spy mission does?

from the wiki: The diplomatic relationship between the target nation and its league leader is reduced by 25 points.

What are the most effective ways of increasing chance of spy success?

To increase spy efficiency you can hire a spy master for 2% a level and increase Centralization for 1% per move

Also, if I create a CoT, how do I convince other nations to trade trough it? Also, two of my own provinces dont trade there. why?

Provinces will automatically trade through the nearest COT that makes sense for that province. That means they'll prefer to trade through your own COT, but if it is too far away, they'll go for the nearest open COT. You can force provinces to trade through your own COT by embargoing other countries. However, you won't be able to trade in those COT's anymore.

What happens if I ignore that red barrier in the sliders?

Stability drops, revolts, chaos, negative national modifiers... you don't want to do that

Hey, I'm having problems with tech. I'm playing with Naples, and all my monthly income is in research. However, all western nations are 1-2 levels ahead of me.

What can I do?

The national policy sliders: + Innovation (i think also + free subjects) will boost your tech research.

Also, good royal advisors with bonus up to +18 monthly investment on the corresponding tech. Some buildings also give a boost, as well as some national decisions (Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité).

If you have many provinces with a low income, they slow down your tech research.

If you have many provinces with a low income, they slow down your tech research.

The cost of a level of technology is determined by the amount of provinces you have. The more provinces, the more expensive. So in order to keep up, all your provinces need to generate enough tax to offset the increase in price. If you have a lot of poor provinces, you might try and release them as vassals. That way they don't count towards your tech costs, but you still get half their tax-income as tribute.

Each expansion requires the previous expansion as basis. As you have brought Chronicles, you have all the expansions in one pack -- up to DW.

I bought [Europa Universalis III Chronicles] on Steam. Is it the same as with HOI3 where one expansion... expands on the previous one more like patches? Also, I can't register the game right now - right? Or can I register the two expansions? Becuse their keys didnt work either for me.

I believe I saw a specific "chronicles" entry for registering cd key, but I'm not sure.

I do not speak English, but I'll try.

I have EU3*: Chronicles, so Divine Wind. I installed the beta 5.1, but the problem existed before in the 5.0 (two different parties to properly test).

At the beginning of the game, just before the start, I change the options for time of possession of land before they become legitimate provinces (cores). I spend the 50 years to only 25. Yet, once in game, it keeps me 50 years. This change has no effect, while others have.

Also, I wanted to know if it was a bug or if it was normal and that it was I who misunderstood the option in question. Thank you.

Very new to EU3 DW (and just EU3 in general). Question: My current mission as France is "Recover Aquitaine", which requires me to own Labourd and Gascogne. The English occupied both. I declared war on England and now I occupy those two required provinces with a warscore of 30%. When I demand those two provinces they don't exceed the necessary warscore yet England denies me everytime. How do I accomplish my mission if England wont hand them over? Thanks!

I think, from having often tested, the enemy also consults his own abilities. If you think back to the provinces, if he has the capacity troop or ship, it will not sell them so easily. This will require force, by keeping them longer and pushing his assaults, or by going directly to the island.

Very new to EU3 DW (and just EU3 in general). Question: My current mission as France is "Recover Aquitaine", which requires me to own Labourd and Gascogne. The English occupied both. I declared war on England and now I occupy those two required provinces with a warscore of 30%. When I demand those two provinces they don't exceed the necessary warscore yet England denies me everytime. How do I accomplish my mission if England wont hand them over? Thanks!

Gawam's right. If the AI believes it can still win the war, or at least take back its provinces, it won't give up even if your demands aren't over the war score. Either wait for a few English armies to land on the Continent and then smash them, hopefully reducing England's war capacity, or go take London. If you're at war with more than just England, end your other wars. All of these will make the AI more willing to conclude peace.

I do not speak English, but I'll try.

I have EU3*: Chronicles, so Divine Wind. I installed the beta 5.1, but the problem existed before in the 5.0 (two different parties to properly test).

At the beginning of the game, just before the start, I change the options for time of possession of land before they become legitimate provinces (cores). I spend the 50 years to only 25. Yet, once in game, it keeps me 50 years. This change has no effect, while others have.

Also, I wanted to know if it was a bug or if it was normal and that it was I who misunderstood the option in question. Thank you.

Sorry, I insist. I would like rebegin a game soon... or continue if i can't change.

Sorry, I insist. I would like rebegin a game soon... or continue if i can't change.

There isn't an option for that. Spread of Land Provinces is the time it takes for you to get maps of provinces other people of your tech group know about.