• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Okay thanks, but I wanted to ask about rulers (kings, ...) not leaders (generals), sorry. So is the age totaly random when a ruler dies?

I read about a rebel-hunting option, didn't find it. Does it actually exist?

Yes, and it exists on the little army window in the top left when you select an army. The option is on the very bottom of the window.

Okay thanks, but I wanted to ask about rulers (kings, ...) not leaders (generals), sorry. So is the age totaly random when a ruler dies?

I read about a rebel-hunting option, didn't find it. Does it actually exist?

Actually, it isn't 100% random.

There's a post around here somewhere, though I'm too lazy to find it, that investigates all the status checks in EU3. One of them is ruler death checks, because they almost always seem to die on one of two days during the month (the 14th and 17th, IIRC). But anyway, what he figured out is that having the ruler converted to a general increases it by a good amount, then having them actually attached to an army increases it by another good amount.

So it's random, but chance isn't perfectly even.

It is always luck-based, but becomes significantly more likely with higher relations, trust and prestige.
You will always lose a PU with negative relations. You will almost always inherit with 200 relations, 100 prestige and "they trust us utterly"

Following up on this, is this what people are talking about in other threads when they mention "forcing PU", just boosting the trust, relations, etc. or is there some other factor at play here?

Not that I can tell. If you want to improve relations, stick to giving gifts.

Theres a number of options if you're cash strapped. Proclaim Garuntee and Military Access(giving and requesting) all give a +10 relations boost(the latter two only if accepted). Which if you have a crappy diplo monarch and no SoI sometimes isn't far off from what the gift gives.

Royal Marriage and Alliances also bump relations. About 25 for each iirc.

Could someone please explain to me how in a 3vs3 alliance war, with all countries on my side at 100% war capacity, all countries on other side with war capacity in 30s, outnumbering their total troops almost 5 to 1, having completely destroyed one of the participants standing army and winning every single battle fought, the warscore is sitting at 0? Because I certainly don't get it.

Could someone please explain to me how in a 3vs3 alliance war, with all countries on my side at 100% war capacity, all countries on other side with war capacity in 30s, outnumbering their total troops almost 5 to 1, having completely destroyed one of the participants standing army and winning every single battle fought, the warscore is sitting at 0? Because I certainly don't get it.

Check the tooltip on the warscore, that will tell you what contributes to it. Are you sure you're looking at the correct warscore, of the correct country? If you're fighting a 3vs3 war, one country might not have any combat/provinces losses at all, and you thus have 0 WS against them.

Once again I am stuck as Shogun... everybody in Japan hates me, but my Prestige is so high, that the Shugunate Influence is stuck at 100%... since I just received a Border Friction CB and discovered, that two of my lovely "neigbours" are possible targets for "Obscure Documents", I would like to DOW them... what is the most efficient way to reduce (YOUR OWN!) Shogunate Influence?
(Keep thinking, Japan is broken somehow...)

All battle losses only affect the war score of the alliance leader. So that country that you have 0 WS against is not the alliance leader, and is not the country you have completely occupied. In fact you haven't occupied or blockaded a single province of it!

War Capacity affects the AIs willingness to make peace, not the war score directly. They are measures of different things WC is about their chances of carrying on the war and WS is about how it has gone to date. You need to be winning big in both of them to get a good peace. Once you have wiped out their standing armies just split your army up in to 2k stacks and siege all their provinces. That will drive up the WS.

All battle losses only affect the war score of the alliance leader. So that country that you have 0 WS against is not the alliance leader, and is not the country you have completely occupied. In fact you haven't occupied or blockaded a single province of it!

War Capacity affects the AIs willingness to make peace, not the war score directly. They are measures of different things WC is about their chances of carrying on the war and WS is about how it has gone to date. You need to be winning big in both of them to get a good peace. Once you have wiped out their standing armies just split your army up in to 2k stacks and siege all their provinces. That will drive up the WS.

I believe it was the alliance leader though which is why I don't understand it. I've frequently gotten +1 warscore for battle victories

Prussia's capital (Ostpreussen) is isolated from the rest of her holdings. I have a core on Ostpreussen. I attack Prussia and occupy european holdings (figures they have colonies too). I can not demand Ostpreussen in the peace deal.

Is this a bug or is there some reason you wouldn't be able to demand an isolated capital in your peace deal?

EDIT: Hunting down their stupid colonial holdings and getting 100% didn't help.

Last edited:
Prussia's capital (Ostpreussen) is isolated from the rest of her holdings. I have a core on Ostpreussen. I attack Prussia and occupy european holdings (figures they have colonies too). I can not demand Ostpreussen in the peace deal.

Is this a bug or is there some reason you wouldn't be able to demand an isolated capital in your peace deal?

EDIT: Hunting down their stupid colonial holdings and getting 100% didn't help.

One of the mechanics in the game is that you can never demand a capital province. Unless you annex the whole country. In cases such as this it is frustrating, but the system is meant to simulate that a capital is literally the last thing any country would cede.

There is one exception. You can claim the capital of a junior partner in a Personal Union from the senior partner.

No, I have definitely claimed capitals earlier. In a previous game I forced Savoy and Naples off the continent. At least in vanilla DW... Could this be something SRI has affected?

No, I have definitely claimed capitals earlier. In a previous game I forced Savoy and Naples off the continent. At least in vanilla DW... Could this be something SRI has affected?

Perhaps a mod influenced this behavior, or perhaps their capitals were moved by event, but in vanilla DW it should be impossible to claim a capital region without annexing the country. I might be way off here, but I don't think so. If you negotiate a peace in DW, all the provinces you can claim are striped and a slightly lighter color. I've never seen a capital show up in the list, with the noted exception of a junior partner, such as France claiming Provence from Naples.