• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Since when are positioning factors present in the EU series?

Quality over Quantity? There are four different ship types that are the exact same for every nation, and there is no way to influence their quality.

Positioning has always been present for fleets, it was never displayed or argued about until now, however.

When you advance Naval tech, you unlock new, better ships. Carracks are much worse than Twodeckers, for example, but players tend to keep a lot of old ships. Sailing 100 Carracks against a combined fleet of 20 Threedeckers and 20 Frigates is a guaranteed loss. However, most EU3 players are stuck on the older mindset and fail.

Positioning is affected by your ratio of large and small ships. Probably other things too.

Having a leader with strong diplomacy increase my chance for the boundary dispute event?

Dip 8 reduces the mean time to happen by 10%, Dip 9 reduces it by 10% again. So, yes, but only if it is >= 8.

So diplomacy 0-7 increase chance for that event and higher diplomacy decrease it? Or diplomacy skill is just not important? Also infamy increase that chance?

edit: Sorry, I got it finally. ;)

Last edited:
TAMBOURINESNAKE is correct, so far as he goes. Positioning is calculated, at a minimum, based on the # of cannon in the fleet, the (tactical) sail speed, and the admiral's rating. It is generally believed that it is a stronger influence now than in previous versions, but that may be a fault of our perception.

Not the implications of the above: A carrack has a lower positioning penalty than a galleon, for 2 reasons:

Code:
#Carrack
type = big_ship

hull_size = 20
base_cannons = 40 
sail_speed = 5

#Galleon
type = big_ship

hull_size = 30
base_cannons = 60 
sail_speed = 4

The older ship is 25% faster, and has 33% fewer guns. This means that the positioning values for a given number of galleons will be worse than the same number of carracks. You can see this by creating squadrons of each type, and checking the tooltips, which are new in DW. (I don't remember if they were always there, or added in a patch.)

Of course, you still do have the edge in number of guns & hull strength, so it's not as if the newer ships are bad. But it has the effect that more and better big ships CAN weaken the value of a squadron.

None of this makes any sense in either gameplay or historical terms, but that's how it is.

Finally, of course there are things you can do to improve quality. Higher tech, yes, but also ideas and advisors. Naval morale plays a grossly overpowered role, in that routing sinks ships (absurd, but true). This is a major reason why dicey annihilations are so common.

So diplomacy 0-7 increase chance for that event and higher diplomacy decrease it? Or diplomacy skill is just not important? Also infamy increase that chance?

No. Diplomacy 0-7 have no effect on how long the event takes to happen, and Diplomacy 8 and 9 each decrease the time by 10%, making it occur more often (ie: increasing the chance). Infamy has no effect.

I do anthoer question. How to INCREASE chance for the boundary dispute event as much as possible playing Hansa?

Pick "Diplomatic Candidate" as your ruler every 4 years.

how do you get the Emperor to revoke a reform as im trying to prevent them a becoming HRE as the only have one reform so im in a liberation war but in peace options i cant find a revoke reform option

You need to fight a war with him -- revoking reforms is a peace option with the emperor.

@TAMBOURINESNAKE, George LeS

WOW, I'm not sure what I should be more surprised by, that positioning had been introduced to EU3, or that it apparantly went completely over my head?! Sorry for wording my post so strongly.

Is there any specific information available on how positioning works though? Based on what you wrote my best guess would be, based on GLs post and how positioning works in HOI, trying to have equal or more light ship guns than heavy ship guns, as well as having equal or more lights than heavies in a squadron; which is a given when you observe the first condidtion, except if you mix grossly outdated heavies with modern lights.

Another quick one: is Bohemia's special status is the HRE represented?

Another quick one: is Bohemia's special status is the HRE represented?

You mean Emperor? Bohemia starts in 1399 as the Emperor. Emperors get (crazy) bonuses.

Is there any specific information available on how positioning works though?

Shrug. I just run 30 Heavy 30 Light or 20 Heavy 20 Light and annihilate enemy fleets.

Playing as Austria, and I have Salzburg and Aquileia reduced to one province each and both are my vassals. Because I expanded too quickly, my infamy soared and it's just now starting to dip below the limit. So I figure, hey, why not annex them now that I'm no longer dishonorable scum? But it won't let me. When I click it, it just says "impossible" and rejects me. I didn't have any problem annexing Hungary in the past (and I thought I had a good amount of infamy then, too), so I'm a little stumped.

Does anyone know?

Playing as Austria, and I have Salzburg and Aquileia reduced to one province each and both are my vassals. Because I expanded too quickly, my infamy soared and it's just now starting to dip below the limit. So I figure, hey, why not annex them now that I'm no longer dishonorable scum? But it won't let me. When I click it, it just says "impossible" and rejects me. I didn't have any problem annexing Hungary in the past (and I thought I had a good amount of infamy then, too), so I'm a little stumped.

Does anyone know?

Also your rulers diplo skill v. theirs. The length of time they have been your vassal is also important. Possibly their trust for you too, but I'm not sure on that one.

I have to leave holy roman empire to get the boundary dispute event?

No, being in the HRE has no effect on it.

I've read it so many times, I can't believe I can't remember/find the answer to this question.

How/where should I install the game if I'm using steam and wish to mod it?

Install it normally, then copy your Steam EU3 directory to somewhere else (anywhere else) and install the mods to that directory.

If I downloaded a patch, do I need to install it in order for it to run on my game? I just got Divine Wind (will register it soon) and downloaded the patch. Is there another step in order for it to work? And I noticed that there are many other versions of beta 5.1; I'm assuming that the most recent one includes all of the fixes mentioned in previous versions of beta 5.1 as well as the fixes listed in its topic? Or would I have to download each version of the beta? (I highly doubt that, but just making sure. I am a noob after all xD )