• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In peace deals I've noticed on a couple of rare occasions I seem to of had the option of either taking just my opponents capital or demanding other provinces as per normal. Is this a change or is my game going a bit wonky? Only happened once or twice and I didn't pay much attention as I was after specific provinces.

You are allowed to take capitals on some occasions. I know you are allowed to take if it is landlocked (sometimes not?) and not connected to the rest of the nation (whether you have a core or not), and I think there are some instances - like with a two province minor - where you can take a capital. Might need a core.

By far, though, the most common is the first one.

You can demand the capital in peace deals if it's not connected to any other provinces of that nation (and a coastal capital is automatically connected to all other coastal provinces).

If you demand the capital in the peace deal, you cannot demand any other provinces. Annexing the capital together with other provinces is of course still possible.

Quick question on politics :
Spain is now an administrative monarchy, and I'm tempted to go for constitutional monarchy for the +2 magistrate boost. But it seems a dead end in the tree, and all bridge to republics look like they cost a wooping -4 stability. That's my first game so advanced (anno 1727, gouvernement tech 43), so that's your advice? Shall I pay the price to go republicain?

Hello

In my Burgundy game investments are swallowing up all my money, and I've gone bankrupt. How can I reduce the total amount invested? If I lock all the other sliders at zero and try to set the last one down, it puts itself up again. This is a serious matter, as I'm likely to go bankrupt again if I can't reduce the investments, which seemed to take 100 prestige loss (!)

This is my second game. In my first game, where I didn't really know how to play, I though I'd solved this problem, but I was actually moving the treasury slider up. 127% inflation later in the game. I've learnt my lesson now and I've locked my treasury slider.

-t

Hello

In my Burgundy game investments are swallowing up all my money, and I've gone bankrupt. How can I reduce the total amount invested? If I lock all the other sliders at zero and try to set the last one down, it puts itself up again. This is a serious matter, as I'm likely to go bankrupt again if I can't reduce the investments, which seemed to take 100 prestige loss (!)

This is my second game. In my first game, where I didn't really know how to play, I though I'd solved this problem, but I was actually moving the treasury slider up. 127% inflation later in the game. I've learnt my lesson now and I've locked my treasury slider.

-t

Get a Master of the Mint and / or the National Bank idea, which will allow you to put a portion of your income into the Treasury slider without gaining inflation.

Burgundy is has rich land and is well-suited to trading, so as long as you keep your army size reasonable you should be able to make a substantial surplus through this minting and of course census tax income.

Quick question on politics :
Spain is now an administrative monarchy, and I'm tempted to go for constitutional monarchy for the +2 magistrate boost. But it seems a dead end in the tree, and all bridge to republics look like they cost a wooping -4 stability. That's my first game so advanced (anno 1727, gouvernement tech 43), so that's your advice? Shall I pay the price to go republicain?

Depends on play style. Republics are powerful, besically lets you choose your ruler every 4 years. If you get a bad one you can replace him 4 years down the road, if you get a good one you can keep em till he dies. Republican Dictatorships being the exception.

But this will also cut off any PUs and RMs as diplomatic options. Noble Republic being the exception here. Though that late in the game PU's may not be effective ways of expansion.

Hello

-t

The bottom slider will put money into your treasury. But this is tied to all your other sliders, you can't use less then 100% of your income, this why you slider automatically moves. You have to balance tech investment w/ keeping your treasury healthy and inflation low. National Bank and Masters of Mint help in the latter.

Get a Master of the Mint and / or the National Bank idea, which will allow you to put a portion of your income into the Treasury slider without gaining inflation.

Burgundy is has rich land and is well-suited to trading, so as long as you keep your army size reasonable you should be able to make a substantial surplus through this minting and of course census tax income.

I have the National Bank NI, and my army is on no upkeep, but quite large. However, my end-of-year income is tiny (33 ducats) and my tax efficiency 70%, and my production efficiency 37%. I'm on -3 stability caused by bankruptcy.

My treasury slider's on the maximum I can go without gaining inflation. I can't afford to send any merchants, I have only fourteen ducats left, going in one month.

How can I increase my tax and efficiencies? I don't know. I can't get any money from overseas due to not being able to afford a navy.

Hello

-t

Not really a quick question, but asking for an entire economics tutorial. Have a look at the wiki. Search the forums a bit.

You have yearly (gained on jan 1st) and monthly income. The idea is to mint (the treasury slider that gives you inflation) very little, (between 0 and 0.10 inflation a year), lose money every month and live off your yearly income. All of the monthly income that you don't mint will go into investments. This is intended. Your yearly income( + what you mint) then goes on paying your army and fleet, advisors, colonies, misionaries, and buildings.

If you hover your mouse over the gold icon it will tell you what your yearly income is and how much you are making a year. Eg you may make 300d every year and then lose 10d a month meaning that you make 180d a year. You have to remember to save that 120d that you need to cover your monthly expenses otherwise you will be in trouble.

If you are constatnly going bankrupt your army is too big, or you are spending all your yearly income imediatly on buildings.

Hi,

I have a question on naval combat/fleet size. I'm playing DW as Venice, and am making my navy a priority. What is the optimal size for a fleet? Obviously not too small, but very large seems not optimal either, as a much smaller fleet seems to able to sometimes almost beat my bigger fleet (35 vs 13, almost all my ships were big or light, my ships were at 100% and full morale, tech level at least equal, no admirals on both sides).

Any tips for fleet composition? Thanks!

If I have two or more stacks participating in a battle, and both stacks have their own generals, will the bonuses of the multiple generals be pooled, or does the game pick a random general and use his stats?

If I have two or more stacks participating in a battle, and both stacks have their own generals, will the bonuses of the multiple generals be pooled, or does the game pick a random general and use his stats?

The general who initiated the battle will lead the battle until his stack retreats, only his stats are taken into account.

Hi,

I have a question on naval combat/fleet size. I'm playing DW as Venice, and am making my navy a priority. What is the optimal size for a fleet? Obviously not too small, but very large seems not optimal either, as a much smaller fleet seems to able to sometimes almost beat my bigger fleet (35 vs 13, almost all my ships were big or light, my ships were at 100% and full morale, tech level at least equal, no admirals on both sides).

Any tips for fleet composition? Thanks!

Bigger is always better. Other variables you should have a look at are you're current fire/shock modifiers on the military tab. Also, keep in mind that galleys get a bonus when fighting in closed off waters like the Baltics or the Med.

Ridiculously quick. Have played EU3 on a friends copy up till now and have not noticed. Can you play as the Palatinate?

Bigger is always better. Other variables you should have a look at are you're current fire/shock modifiers on the military tab. Also, keep in mind that galleys get a bonus when fighting in closed off waters like the Baltics or the Med.

Not so. Bigger can be a liability, if the postioning factors are painful enough. Further, insofar as it is not simply a question of luck--which is by far the biggest factor in naval battles--quality seems to trump quantity now. It was different before this year's patches.

Not so. Bigger can be a liability, if the postioning factors are painful enough. Further, insofar as it is not simply a question of luck--which is by far the biggest factor in naval battles--quality seems to trump quantity now. It was different before this year's patches.

Since when are positioning factors present in the EU series?

Quality over Quantity? There are four different ship types that are the exact same for every nation, and there is no way to influence their quality. The only thing that sets one nations ship appart from another nations ship is their tech, which scales on a strictly linear progression. So since there is no way to influence the quality of the ships you build, bigger is always better; unless they actualy did introduce positioning, which would be news to me, but I could be wrong obviously.
Although, it wouldn't really be positioning anyway since there is no way to influence that via the tech tree. So you're basicaly talking about a straight, simple stacking penalty, which I have yet to observe. If there isn't one, then bigger is ALWAYS better, period!

Also, there is no accounting for luck and the less evenly matched the opponents are, the less it matters anyway.

how do you get the Emperor to revoke a reform as im trying to prevent them a becoming HRE as the only have one reform so im in a liberation war but in peace options i cant find a revoke reform option