• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Culture and Cores

Is culture of a province tied to cores?
I ask since I inherited Pommeren and their culture was accepted by me (Dutch) through the event. As I understand I might loose it in the future if the requirements for acceptence pass. If I remove the Pommeren Cores, will the province culture change to Dutch, thereby negating the non-culture malus on tax-income?

When sponsoring Patriot/Nationalist rebels in a province that has the owners, mine & another nations core on it, is the nation the rebels fight for random? Because i've had a few times sponsoring patriots/nationalits on a province with my core & another non-owned core, only for them to fight for another country?

Yes, its random choice between all cores on province in your culture group.

Strange, tried the tooltip and got no information. Thanks.
Also, is it based on the trade value? Does production bonus help it?

You have to try the tooltip in colony, it wont show up in province with no tariffs at all. :)
No yes, its based on trade value of goods, it has only one modifiers - sealane effectivity..

Q: Does the religious decision "enact the counter-reformation" stop the reformation (protestant/reformed) spread in your country?

Playing DW as Brandenburg and want to change state religion to protestant (and form Prussia). The religious decision would make it easier to convert my country but it doesn't make sense that I would actually benefit from this decision (which is supposed to improve my relations with the pope) while I'm using it to convert my country to protestantism.
So my guess is that the downside of this decision might be that the reformation stops spreading in my country.. Makes sense that there would be a downside as a country who wants to change his state religion to protestant/reformed, right?

I’m new to the game (and the forums) and still trying to understand how to manage some aspects of the economy. Here are my questions:

Provinces with the gold resource: How does the amount of gold in the city screen translates to the amount of gold in the budget screen? Which factors determine the gold income I get from a gold province? Is there any building that can increase it?

The buildings that increase the value of traded goods: are they really worth building?

Too many CoTs: In my current game I have a CoT in Andalucia and 4 other COTs in the Americas (1 in South America, 3 in North America). With acquisition of the last one the CoT in Mexico dropped to 36 ducats total trade. Should I destroy some of them? All of them? Two of them are in the Pacific coast and the other two are inland. As I’m playing as Castille wouldn’t it be better to have them in the Atlantic? I’m leaning towards merchantilism if that matters. Also, I embargoed Provence when I saw they were monopolizing one of them. Is that a good move?

Sorry for the too many questions, I’m a total noob ;)

Q: Does the religious decision "enact the counter-reformation" stop the reformation (protestant/reformed) spread in your country?

Playing DW as Brandenburg and want to change state religion to protestant (and form Prussia). The religious decision would make it easier to convert my country but it doesn't make sense that I would actually benefit from this decision (which is supposed to improve my relations with the pope) while I'm using it to convert my country to protestantism.
So my guess is that the downside of this decision might be that the reformation stops spreading in my country.. Makes sense that there would be a downside as a country who wants to change his state religion to protestant/reformed, right?

A to your Q: As for as i know it doesnt stop prot/pref. from spreading via event, however it does slow it down quite a bit, irrc something like 200%.

I’m new to the game (and the forums) and still trying to understand how to manage some aspects of the economy. Here are my questions:

Provinces with the gold resource: How does the amount of gold in the city screen translates to the amount of gold in the budget screen? Which factors determine the gold income I get from a gold province? Is there any building that can increase it?

The buildings that increase the value of traded goods: are they really worth building?

Too many CoTs: In my current game I have a CoT in Andalucia and 4 other COTs in the Americas (1 in South America, 3 in North America). With acquisition of the last one the CoT in Mexico dropped to 36 ducats total trade. Should I destroy some of them? All of them? Two of them are in the Pacific coast and the other two are inland. As I’m playing as Castille wouldn’t it be better to have them in the Atlantic? I’m leaning towards merchantilism if that matters. Also, I embargoed Provence when I saw they were monopolizing one of them. Is that a good move?

Sorry for the too many questions, I’m a total noob ;)

Divide any income in the city screen by 12 (number of months in a year) and you get monthly income which is represented in budged screen (where you see techs).

Gold (trade good) is special kind of trade goods, unlike everything else its price is not dynamically calculated, it has a static value (50ish?) which is only modified by base_tax income and some other minor stuff. Any building that increases tax_income will add to total province income, but as far as i know you cant increase only gold production.

Buildings that increase value of trade goods are more than worth building. This is because of 2 things: first its the trade_income they add to province. Production of each province = trade goods local trade value + trade_income X production efficiency, or in other words, it trade_income will increase production value in any province. And second reason, many trade goods have their values heavily modified by certain buildings, sometimes even by 50%. This goes mostly for colonial goods, but also note that this is currently mostly not working very well in DW. Seems like they have forgotten to adjust prices with all new buildings, but it should be fixed with next patch.

COT related question is complicated. While it is smart to keep as few COTs as possible if you are mercantile, there is also one thing to keep in mind: in EU3 there is a total number of provinces game engine sets per COT, this number should be 35 per COT in vanilla (you can increase this), so in theory, if you have 200 provinces that trade in a single COT you own, there is a pretty good chance game will auto-spawn another COT in some random province you own. Basically what i would do, is to keep 1 COT per continent or large group of provinces.

Last edited:
Is there any way to make it more likely to get an event where you gain cores on other nations?

- having ruler with skill DIP >= 8, for 0.5 modifier
- having ruler with skill DIP >= 9, for 0.5 modifier
- neighbour is rival of yours, for 0.25 modifier

- modifiers are applied to MTTH so the smaller, the sooner it will happen, i only listed modifiers that SHORTEN MTTH not ones that makes it longer as it wasnt asked for :)

Thanks a lot DanubianCossak!

So the line in the Budget that says “Gold” has the taxes from the provinces with a gold resource? Is that it?

Gold in budget represents 'production' part of income in gld province, its taxes still go to TAXES line in budget screen.

Random lucky nations: can it be literally anyone or do you have to be European or Asian?
it can be ANYONE* except for player ;)

* pending some more continetnal scope inquires :)
ehm, its in *.exe :(

For 1), there's at least one nice event when you have an artist and Patron of the Arts.

About random lucky nations, IIRC it's not truely random, there's some weighting based on nation size/richness so you rarely see a OPM lucky nation etc.

Playing DW as Brandenburg and want to change state religion to protestant (and form Prussia). The religious decision would make it easier to convert my country but it doesn't make sense that I would actually benefit from this decision
Correct. You won't benefit from the decision. If you convert to Protestant, the effects of the 'Counter Reformation' decision are immediately lost.

Code:
effect = {
			religion = protestant
			stability = -5
			remove_country_modifier = counter_reformation

1. not really (well, all adivsors level 5+ can trigger random +STAB event, also can be usefull to keep him in backup)

Ahem:
Code:
# Prospering times
country_event = {

id = 1075

trigger = {
		num_of_cities = 25
		idea = patron_of_art
		advisor = artist
		treasury = 500
		stability = 1
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 240

modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			NOT = { innovative_narrowminded = -2 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			NOT = { innovative_narrowminded = -3 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			NOT = { innovative_narrowminded = -4 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			advisor = philosopher
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			artist = 6
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			artist = 5
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.1
			NOT = { artist = 3 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			stability = 2
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			stability = 3
		}
	}

title = "EVTNAME1075"
	desc = "EVTDESC1075"

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA1075"			# Invest in a university
		ai_chance = { factor = 50 }
		treasury = -500
		random_owned = {
			limit = {
				NOT = { has_building = fine_arts_academy }
				NOT = { has_building = university }
				NOT = { has_building = refinery }
				NOT = { has_building = wharf }
				NOT = { has_building = weapons }
				NOT = { has_building = textile }
				is_colony = no
			}
			add_building = university
		}		
	}
	option = {
		name = "EVTOPTB1075"			# Invest in a fine arts academy
		ai_chance = { factor = 30 }
		treasury = -500
		random_owned = {
			limit = {
				NOT = { has_building = fine_arts_academy }
				NOT = { has_building = university }
				NOT = { has_building = refinery }
				NOT = { has_building = wharf }
				NOT = { has_building = weapons }
				NOT = { has_building = textile }
				is_colony = no
			}
			add_building = fine_arts_academy
		}
	}
	option = {
		name = "EVTOPTC1075"			# Investments are not an option at this stage.
		ai_chance = { factor = 20 }
		treasury = 200		
	}
}

Hey guys, new player here. This thread has been invaluable thus far, thanks so much!

My question is about Infantry unit upgrades.
Recently got my land tech up which unlocked 2 new infantry choices, men-at-arms and Longbows. So I switched what I would be recruiting to Men at Arms. I Noticed that my army off in Africa (I was Portugal) upgraded itself, full of the new fancy Men at Arms. Sweet.
Now I want to supplement this army with some of the new fancy longbows, since they provide some different stats. However when i switch to longbows on my nation screen, my army changes to all longbows.
Am I doing something incorrect? Or is that national switch dictating what my entire infantry unit type will be? Meaning, there is no way for me to acquire both men-at-arms and longbows in the same army?