• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If I purchased the game as a CD from a store, is it possible to register the game on Steam? I bought a physical copy of EUIII Complete, but now I am interested in purchasing the HttT and DW expansions through Steam. I tried to register the game on Steam by simply putting the CD key that came with the game into their system, but it says it is an "invalid CD key". Will I have to buy the Steam version of EUIII: Complete if I want the Steam expansions?

Steam won't let you even buy HttT/DW if you don't have the Steam version of the base games. Best to buy via gamersgate, you can use your CD Complete, and there are less problems with patches/MP/everything.

What determines whom the rebel held provinces defects to?

I recently saw "Ming is broken!" message in my Prussian game, and after scrolling over to check for expansion oppturnities, I noticed random Korean and Chagatai provinces in the middle of mostly intact Ming. Those provinces all have confucian religion and chihan culture, are Ming cores and are not Chagatai and Korean cores. The rebels that held those provinces are Ming peasants. While Castille also collapsed recently yet all the peasant held provinces defected back to Castille. What gives?

If you're in the Western / Eastern / Ottoman tech group and you form the Mughal Empire, does your tech group change to Muslim?

Also, to establish, since I've seen a great deal of conflicting information - can you form the HRE as Germany?

Last edited:
No... Japan's diplomacy is screwed up in 5.0.
Doesn't seem to be true; auto-white peace still seems to be possible. I'm pretty sure it took significantly longer than 5 years, though o_O Not sure however, since the game for some reason I can't figure out kept crashing at a certain date (running fine now again ^^; )
34q4swg.jpg

In retro-perspective it was pretty fun. How often do you have the chance to be allied in war, and at the same time be at war with each other? :D

If you're in the Western / Eastern / Ottoman tech group and you form the Mughal Empire, does your tech group change to Muslim?

Also, to establish, since I've seen a great deal of conflicting information - can you form the HRE as Germany?

No, because the Muslim tech group is a step back from those other tech groups.

Germany can form the HRE.

I got a core on Catawba but still I can not colonise the province next to it (out of colonial range), anyone know why? It has worked before, did something change in latest beta patch or what am I missing here?

eu33j.jpg

No, because the Muslim tech group is a step back from those other tech groups.

Germany can form the HRE.

Cool, so my Burgundy ---> England ---> Ireland ---> Malaya ---> Mughals ---> Hindustan ---> Netherlands ---> Prussia ---> Germany ---> HRE ---> Papacy game should work properly!

How do I edit a save game file? I found a thread with a save game editor, however isn't it possible to edit using just notepad?

I want to edit computer nations to give them higher tech levels, reduce their inflation, give them cores, change their tech group, and other things to help them out. Also, if possible, I would like to extend the end date.

I am running the latest version of Heir to the Throne.

What determines whom the rebel held provinces defects to?

I recently saw "Ming is broken!" message in my Prussian game, and after scrolling over to check for expansion oppturnities, I noticed random Korean and Chagatai provinces in the middle of mostly intact Ming. Those provinces all have confucian religion and chihan culture, are Ming cores and are not Chagatai and Korean cores. The rebels that held those provinces are Ming peasants. While Castille also collapsed recently yet all the peasant held provinces defected back to Castille. What gives?

I am not sure what determines it but if you are still on IN basic then I remember that that particular situation was a bug or something like that, should not happen.
if you are playing on most other versions it's probably beacuse they simply took the provinces in war.

How do I edit a save game file? I found a thread with a save game editor, however isn't it possible to edit using just notepad?

I want to edit computer nations to give them higher tech levels, reduce their inflation, give them cores, change their tech group, and other things to help them out. Also, if possible, I would like to extend the end date.

I am running the latest version of Heir to the Throne.

There tend to be pretty straight forward definitions of some things like culture and tech group and inflation grouped together but I think cores are grouped under provinces and I think the end date thingy is at the very top.
Getting a better version like notepad++ is really hand for this stuff. I may be wrong about some stuff so you should really check the wiki.

How to increase chance on trade? For example I play random european country and I want have big chance in markets, what I should to do?

Worth it to do colonization? And why?

Can I form USA somehow?:D

I've heard that there is a save converter for EU3 to Vic2, however whenever I ask any of the people who have claimed to use it where I can get it, they fall silent. So my question to you, members of the paradox forums, is this converter real, and if so where can I find it?

I've heard that there is a save converter for EU3 to Vic2, however whenever I ask any of the people who have claimed to use it where I can get it, they fall silent. So my question to you, members of the paradox forums, is this converter real, and if so where can I find it?

It might be in one of the subforums restricted to people who've registered their games. I'd recommend you do that.

Playing as one of the Japanese diamyo's and I keep getting missions to vassalise Japan or get a royal marriage with them, but I am unable to declare war on or even marry Japan by clicking on the province and looking at the menu.

Is there some other way to do this, or are all these missions just impossible?

How to increase chance on trade? For example I play random european country and I want have big chance in markets, what I should to do?

Do:
Make your first slider moves to Free Trade. This will increase your chances but will take a while.
The +10% competechance NI(Shrewd Market Practices or somesuch, name escapes me atm).

Don't:
Hold a CoT you don't have a core on. Each one garners a -15% compete chance until its cored.
Rack up BB. This again hurts your chances, I think its 1 for 1 but not certain, but after about 10 you start really hurting yourself.

Worth it to do colonization? And why?

I can be, especially if european avenues of expansion are difficult(Playing Holland for ex). It takes some time but it can be very profitable. Espcially as it can open up new trading markets if you snag the Aztecs(Mexico) and Incas(Cuzco). For quite a while those CoT's will be empty because it takes 50 years for explorations to spread so you can have every slot monopolized for some 5 years. If you can take a whole continent thru colonization and prevent and other CoT's from opening they will be the richest CoTs in the game. In addition to regular income from tarriffs.

Can I form USA somehow?:D

Form? No. It can revolt though.

In 4.1, if you build a War College or an Admiralty in your capital and then move your capital, will the War College/Admiralty disappear from the old capital, or will you be able to build two Colleges/Admiralties?